Monday, July 14, 2008

Car Porn Week - Prancing Horsepower

Hokay …

It's Car Porn Week over here at the Planet, so any non-motorheads out there had better look away now.

We'll start with something for that select band of bastards who have somehow acquired more millions than they could possibly know what to do with.
Need to pop down to Rodeo Drive to buy shoes?
Here's your ideal shopping trolley.

A W16 engine, kicking out 1,001 BHP, a top speed of 253.19mph, ten (count 'em) radiators, a price tag of around one and a half million dollars.
Add to that the fact that - if you put your foot down - it achieves a whopping 2.05mpg fuel consumption and empties the tank in under twelve minutes, but hey … if you can afford one of these you can afford your own gas company.

I give you the rather delicious yet undeniably silly Bugatti Veyron.

In fact I give you three of the buggers, sitting in a row.

However, should you not be a Saudi Sheikh, an arms dealer, a drug lord or a Halliburton war profiteer, something a tad less showy may be to your taste. Such as the other half of this rather expensive roadblock.

Mere millions will buy you one of these.
Pretty, aren't they?
A sweet little row of prancing horses.

This one costs the same as I could earn in three and a bit lifetimes at my current job.
Nice, though. Not flash like the Bugatti. Classy!

Here's the same car being refueled after its race. None of your girly pumps; a jerry can and a funnel is all you need.

Not the kind of exhaust you'd find down at your local dealer. But what a glorious noise it makes!

One of Schumacher's old horses got taken for some splendidly loud exercise on the track just after this.

My tastes, however run more toward these …
Classically beautiful … The Jaguar XK120.

More Jag sex.

But this is the reason I don't take the deeds of my house to Goodwood.
My dream car.
And there were a bunch of them for sale, fully restored.
I could have swapped one for my house and driven away …
Sigh …

15 comments:

savannah said...

be still my heart! as soon as i caught a mere glimpse of that little red nameplate, sugar, my heart skipped the proverbial beat. tell me there's more tomorrow, just get me through one more day...

xoxoxox

(have i told you how much i adore you?)

dive said...

Hee hee, Savannah.
Worry not; we took over two hundred photos, rather a lot of which will be spewing out of my blog all week long.
I adore you too, as well you know.
xoxoxox

Kate said...

I'm not really a big car-person, but I have to say that the sweet lines on a Jag always punch me in the eye. Any time I pass one on the freeway, I always have to take another look - even the stodgy sedans just look...better.

Katie said...

Wow!! So many beautiful cars to choose from! I do prefer the older ones. To have just a ride in any one of these would be dreamy! I'm with Savannah -- more, more, more!

Terroni said...

I'm holding out for the Bugatti hybrid. I like my car to get at least 6mpg. You know, because I'm into the environment.

dive said...

Kate: There's a sweet little red E-Type (XKE for you foreigners) that lives in our basement car park at work. I must confess I've been known to linger down there, sighing over it.

Katie: Yup, the older ones are somehow more beautiful. And yes, there'll be more, much more.

T: Hee hee. Joking aside, the Tesla (the electric sports car Phil helps make for the Americans) tore past me up the track at around 140mph making no noise other than the whoosh of tyres on tarmac.
We were back in the Lotus pits after Phil's race and they were recharging it. There's this huge, macho-looking sci-fi thing that plugs into the car and a chunky tube leading back into a box … and then a small lead with a domestic plug on the end. It looks so silly.
But boy, does it go!

Anonymous said...

I have a "friend" who has a Nissan 350Z he took me for a very short ride and even going slow it was too fast. I am a scardy-cat so I don't like to go fast. Makes my stomach flip. Nice porn though for those of you who do.

M.Benaut said...

Sigh, - and sigh again !

Did you know that the XK 120 cost about £375 back in 1948.
Probably, a house cost not much more.

Sigh !

MmeBenaut said...

Oh you boys, wilting and sighing all over the place, it's nearly more than a girl can stand and I think that little red e-type has MY name on it!
Keep the house, Dive - definitely lock up those deeds. You can only pick up the girl with the car; the real romance takes place in the house!

Terroni said...

When I was a little girl, a vintage Jag was my dream car. The neighbor lady had one, and she would drive us to school in it occasionally. Ahh...

The new ones, especially the XF and XK, look like every other damn 'sporty' sedan on the road. It's like they forgot that they are Jaguars, they're not supposed to look like fucking Hondas.

As Sarah Silverman would say, what the cock is that shit?

M.Benaut said...

Romance (?) in a small British car.
Now there's a theme for a post, old son !
You go first, so to speak.

Scout said...

Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of car is your dream car, anyway, besides grey!

dive said...

Prudence: When I was a teenager, Mum wouldn't let me buy a Nissan 280Z.
She said I'd only go and kill myself in it.
I said "So?"
That was the end of my sports car dream, dammit.

Monsieur, £100,000 will buy you a sweet reconditioned XK120 in full racing trim. The old guys who made them and raced them have a small business over here refurbing racing Jags for true lovers of all that is good in the world.

Mme: the red E-Type is owned by one of our senior managers, a big old lesbian, so I have no chance of charming my way into the driver's seat.

T: What the cock is that shit indeed! Eloquent and definitely to the point.
The deliciously retro Alfa in the next post shows the direction Jaguar should have taken. Unfortunately they are now owned by Ford and are crap.

Monsieur: I lost my virginity in a car park in Lowestoft in a Renault 12 of all things.

Robyn: Have you no soul?
It is a 1960 Porsche Spider in gleaming silver.
Sigh …

… and swoon, too.

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

You lucky Bastard, dive. That looks like so much fun.

Maria said...

Oh, yes...that jaguar is simply classic. If I ever win that lottery....