Monday, December 03, 2007

Monday Melee

It must be several weeks since I've done a Fracas Monday Melee: so I'd better atone.
Here goes nothing:

1: The Misanthropic.
(Name something - about humanity - you absolutely hate).

"I and all the public know
What all schoolchildren learn,
Those to whom evil is done
Do evil in return"

W.H. Auden: "September 1st. 1939"


2: The Meretricious:
(Expose someone or something that's phony, fraudulent or bogus).

Bystanders. Fuck 'em.

"Washing ones hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful.

Paulo Freire. Brazilian educator and Christian Socialist


3: The Malcontent:
(Name something you're unhappy with).

"It's very different from living in academia in Oxford.
We called someone vicious in the Times Literary Supplement.
We didn't know what vicious was."

Aung San Suu Kyi: on returning to Burma from England, 25th. September, 1988


4: The Meritorious.
(Give someone credit for something and name it if you can).

Hugh Kingsmill: Writer, for:

"Friends: God's apology for relations."
Christmas is coming. People are already starting to wince in anticipation of family get-togethers.


5: The Mirror.
(See something good about yourself and name it).


I've remembered to do a Monday Melee for the first time in ages.


6: The Make-Believe:
(Name something you wish for).

Spring.

That's your lot. I'm out of practice. I'll need a couple of weeks to build up a good head of steam before the bile starts flying again.

8 comments:

Jules said...

Hi Dear
Love your Monday Melee - always bring a giggle.

Am exhausted after all the wining and dining and drinking and eating last week - oh and all the work of course!!!

Sorry to say it is very hot and humid here today - building up to a storm me thinks. Will blow some warm air your way - leave a window open!!!

dive said...

Hot and humid?
Well, it's bloody freezing here!
Drat!

Full said...

Just finished listening to the podcast on "The Fibonacci Sequence" , very interesting but a bit of a struggle for an "old lag" like me.
So, what I wish is for you to explain how to get the spiral from building the golden ratio rectangles.
I know it's there dammit.
I also know I'm a bit of a thicky so next time you are over just run through it for me please?

If I tried once I tried 3,5,8,13,21,34 times......

Anonymous said...

Auden was a wise old bugger wasn't he.

dive said...

He was, Kate.

Phil; I'll draw it for you.

Scout said...

You can pick your friends. You can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose.

If it weren't for friends to make up for freakish relations, we'd all be terribly lonely, I'm sure.

dive said...

Both hee hee and eww, Robyn!
Freakish relatives are at least useful for making amusing blog posts.

Maria said...

Hugh Kingsmill: a man after my own heart. He must have had a family like mine. And yes, WINCING is the proper word.