I learn from an American Democrat whose blog I haunt (Just what do you call blog-friends? Is there a word for it? "Virtual friend" sounds too much like a Tamagotchi …), that she has received a cold call from a pre-recorded Laura Bush.
Yikes! That is scary.
There you are, lying on your couch of a weekend, watching an old movie with a tub of Ben and Jerry's and the phone rings and it's a robot first lady, exhorting you to vote for Monkey Boy.
Other than the obvious tactic of annoying the opposition and gauging just how many swear words the average Democrat voter knows, I can see little point in this excercise.
And I suppose they chose Laura because even a Republican would swear at George these days …
The Tories over here have inherited this unpleasant practice, perhaps feeling that as they cannot get in power, they can at least annoy a few Socialists. As your token blog-Marxist, I await my call from the robot David Cameron with Old Knudsen's Big Book of Profanity ready beside the phone.
I was born with both a brain and a conscience, which makes me genetically Socialist, and from which I have developed a simplistic and facetious little theory …
If you're born with both a brain and a conscience, you vote Socialist;
If you're born with a brain and no conscience, you vote Tory (Republican over the pond);
If you're born with no brain but a conscience, you vote Green;
If you're born with neither brain nor conscience, you end up running the country.
Good luck lefty America. Do us proud tomorrow.
10 comments:
If Laura Bush calls, I'll be sure to use my best Knudsen words on her. Otherwise, I'm doing everything I can to make the country blue again.
That scared me for a moment. Over here, blue is right wing; red, lefty.
Enjoy tomorrow. I'll be rooting for you!
That's funny. You'd think we'd be able to synch the colors.
I wish I knew where we got these colors in the first place. I'm thinking it's from a network news map. Barak Obama got it right when he said the US wasn't red or blue.
Poor Laura. You call her a robot, but I sometimes wonder if she sits back and says, how the hell did I get here? When George 1 was president and people hated him, as we tend to hate our presidents, everyone at least loved Barbara. Now there's a tough broad.
Ah, the good old "Red Flag", our lovely Socialist anthem.
Didn't the Republicans get all exercised about "reds under the bed"?
Very confusing …
And Robyn; I didn't mean that Mrs. B. is a robot; it was just that her message was pre-recorded, so you couldn't actually ask or discuss anything with her.
I did love the Simpsons' version of Barbara Bush, though I loved Homer and Old George brawling in a sewer even better!
Oh, I get it. sometimes I little slow. I have stopped answering my phone because we get so many local calls that are prerecorded. Our local rep has resigned in disgrace, and there are a lot of other state positions open, not to mention the gambling issue which is big in Ohio these days. And then there's the smoking in public places issue. It's difficult to keep it all straight.
I keep my old phone on mute (I hate phones) and just use it for outgoing calls.
We also have issues with gambling and smoking over in Britland. The government want to allow US style casinos over here, but there is massive opposition.
As for smokers (sorry Sassy), we've kicked 'em out of office buildings, pubs and restaurants; they'll soon be confined to "tobacco dens", like the old opium dens. Hoorah for that!
I'm not a hardcore smoker, so no offense taken. I just figured it was better than drowning my sorrows and not dealing with them.
tomorrows the vote for senators, isnt it?? its not...like, primaries or anything...have i lost my mind? i was even gonna go home with kasplotte to vote in our home state. Man, the confusion. it hurts.
… but it doesn't hurt like a Republican Senate.
Post a Comment