Thursday, November 30, 2006

Book Snob

Thanks to Robyn for dragging me back into the world of silly surveys.

This one is actually pretty accurate, although I'd rate myself MUCH higher on the book snob scale.
And why is there no section for obsessive fetishists who have their favourite bookbinders lovingly craft custom bindings for their books? (My bookbinders love me) …

They're also right when they say that "other people's grammatical mistakes make me insane"; in my case, psychopathically insane.
When I was a toddler, my mum gave up her job at the printers (where all her side of the family worked - a clue there, perhaps) and worked at home as a proofreader. She sat me on her knee and taught me to read, proofreading things like accountancy textbooks and really dull stuff, so that when I started school they had to send me down to the town library a couple of times a week to get decent "grown up" books to read.
I'm known to several blogs on my bookmark list as "the Mad Proofreader" for my intemperate outbursts and lists of corrections. So watch out! It could spread to my blogpal list …

4 comments:

Scout said...

Oh please don't start correcting my errors. My brain works faster than my typing fingers, and when I write, I get so lost in the point of what I'm trying to make that all those little rules go right out the window.

dive said...

What errors?
What kind of arrogant dork would presume to proofread someone with her own publishing company?
Not I …

Although I did have a go at my mum when she caught that awful shorthand disease off her webpals. You know the one; using "2" for "to" and inserting TXT SPK.
No matter how good a blog may be, if it's got that crap in it then this pedant won't read it.

Scout said...

If my daughter wants to irritate me (and all daughters long to irritate their mothers), she'll abbreviate words and call them abreves. Just typing that makes me itch. She studies O-Chem and in high school took Vocab tests. She wants to take a Vaca, which is the worst abbreviated word ever. Thanksgiving became T-Give. Yikes.

dive said...

Ow!
That makes my teeth itch and my forehead go all throbbing-veined.

Your daughters should be glad you are such a good, kind soul. That sort of linguistic atrocity would turn me into the Hulk!