Bah!
Humbug!
I'd have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those pesky kids.
I'd have had a nice, relaxing Monday morning.
I enjoyed a lovely lie-in on the train, dozing to Melvyn Bragg's podcasts while we crawled through the chaos of over-running engineering works.
Then a beautiful, fresh walk along the Thames … okay; it was bloody freezing and drizzly but still a nice way to stretch my legs.
I picked up my latte and croissant and wandered in to the office only to find that the girls had stayed late on Friday evening.
Oh, horrors!
It looks like the aftermath of a suicide elf blowing itself up in Santa's grotto.
There are fucking Santas and snowmen over all the workstations, tinsel and fairy lights everywhere (I cleared all the crap away from my workstation before I even took off my coat).
Annoyingly, just within my line of sight sits a fucking great spruce tree, decorated with a degree of tackiness that only young admin. assistants can achieve …
… and there, lurking by the door, grinning at me like a corpse …
My nemesis …
the fucking singing reindeer!
AAAAAAUUUUUUGGHHH …
Kill me now.

17 comments:
Whoopee! Christmas has arrived in dive's office! Don't you just love reindeers? :p
joy
Norwich Daily Photo
The Goddess In You
Your Love Coach
Get yourself an inflatable Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels and have yourself a jolly Marxist festival in your bit of the office.
Sweet girls making your surroundings all Christmassy and delightful. In comes Scrooge, mumbling and grumbling. Poor girls; i like it anyway.
Mind you i couldn't bear the singing reindeer. Not for 5 mins.
She has nice earrings, at least. If I were those girls, I'd wait for you to go to the toilet, and I put all the crap back up at your work station--doubled. I wouldn't blame you for murdering the singing reindeer, though.
See now thats why I work in welfare, even at christmas its dismal.
No picture of the desk before you swept it all away? I'm with you on this, Dive, my colleagues have been doing the same thing this morning. I have a big whiteboard behind me, on which I've drawn a giant humbug. Only one person so far has realised what it is and what it means, everyone else has been baffled. This has all inspired a great idea for an art project - watch my walking blog later this week.
Joy: Hee hee. Reindeer are delicious.
Phil: Where can I find an inflatable Karl Marx? Even a cardboard standee would be cool.
Lynn: the singing reindeer will soon be muffled by insertion into Squeaky Kate's bottom.
Robyn: They know better than that. Luckily, they've all gone off to a Christmas party, leaving Old Scrooge in a lovely quiet office. Sigh.
Kate: it sounds bliss.
Pea: Woohoo! What a great idea! The big whiteboard by the door is about to be decorated the same way.
Brilliant!
Just scatter a bag full of lumpy chocolate peanuts around the back of the reindeer if you want him out of the office.
Bad deer, bad.
Ew!
I was thinking of you today when I wrote my "Happy Monday" post about Christmas music and the chorus etc. The spitit of Christmas has spoken dive.
Yeah, tell that to a pescotarian! Hmmm...
I was having dinner at Pizza Express tonight when I saw someone slip at the rink. Shame I was stuffing my face with pizza and my camera was in my bag when it happened. I wanted to snap it for you.
joy
Norwich Daily Photo
The Goddess In You
Your Love Coach
Kate - great idea - must remember that!!
In my office Christmas hasn't come Thank goodness!!) but hanging over the reception desk still wrapped in the plastic so it won't get dirty is one Christmas lantern ????? Haven't worked that one out yet!!
The teacher's classrooms are heavily laden under children's hand-made decorations which i think are rather cute!!!
I am being forced to watch Mary Poppins tonight on television. Liv is in heaven. I feel as if I am getting cavities....great...ANOTHER Julie Andrews dream on the way....
And hey....if you HAVE to listen to Christmas music, listen to Mary Chapin Carpenter's Christmastime In the City. It is really that good.
Pah Rum...pah pum pum.....and all that.
Rich: The spirit of Christmas may well have spoken, but in a language I don't understand.
Joy: Doh!
Sorry about the reindeer. Is there a seasonal fish we can eat instead?
Jules: A single lantern wrapped in plastic. That sounds like my kind of decoration.
Maria: Another? We need to be told more about these Julie Andrews dreams. That's kinda creepy.
I like Mary Chapin Carpenter and I want to keep liking her, so I won't try listening to her singing Christmas songs. Ick!
Bugger me, strike me down dead, shiver me timbers and wash out my ears !!!
Crikey, I never thought I would live to hear the day that I heard such an ill-begotten phrase emitted from the lips of an Englishman.
Strewth !!!
I can hardly bring myself to put wind in my lungs.
"GOTTEN" ??????
I am totally devastated. Yes, that is an English expression, borrowed by the yanks, an yankee-fied.
I am speechless !!
I need a Bex, a cup of tea and a good lie - down.
What IS the world coming to ?
Gotten is the original Middle-English word, Monsieur B.
It remained in use in the colonies but has mostly been replaced here by the shortened version.
A lot of weird things get blamed on the Yanks: the fact that they say "erb" for "herb" is often derided here but again it is the correct usage.
Around the end of Victoria's reign, when "Estuary English" (Cockney) was on the rise, it was considered a vulgar dialect and - as Cockneys dropped their aitches all over the place - the ignorant middle classes of England started putting a spoken "H" on the front of everything they could find. Hotel, Herb, Hospital … Loads of Norman English words got corrupted by ill-educated Brits who now poke fun at the Yanks for pronouncing the word "herb" correctly.
Gotten was shortened to "got" at around Dickens' time, due to laziness and has yet to reclaim its rightful position.
Mind you, don't get me started on Noah bloody Webster. He's the real cause of Dumb America.
Plus, I was only quoting Scooby Doo!
Post a Comment