Thursday, November 23, 2006

Eat Me

1621 …
Dinner time …

Somewhere near a Wampanoag village on the east coast of the new world, a bunch of somewhat ill-prepared religious fanatics are starving to death.

One of them gets a bright idea:
"Hey, those Injuns have got food. Let's invite the suckers over for dinner."

Over at the Wampanoag village, the mail arrives.
"Hmm … We've got an invitation:"

Dear Injuns,

The self-righteous and pompous white folks of Plimoth would be delighted to have the company of you savages for dinner on Thursday.
Unfortunately, we've got nothing in the fridge, so please bring all the food.

RSVP

So Thursday arrives and along come the Wampanoags, who have extreeeeeemely unwisely decided to take pity on whitey.

"Eat Me!"

They bring with them some amusingly shaped vegetables and a fat kid in a turkey suit.

"Okey dokey." say the pilgrims. "We'll take that kid, and when you've done the washing up we'll slaughter you and then we'll steal all your land, hee hee."
(They may not have actually said "hee hee" but you can just picture them sniggering behind their hands).

"Hmm … That doesn't sound like too good a deal to me … You smile sweetly while I go get my tomahawk from the hall stand."


Now this is what SHOULD have happened, had the Wampanoags had their wits about them.


If I had a time machine, I'd go back and find the Wampanoag who said "Aww, c'mon. Let's help those stupid white folks." and smack him round the head.

But unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

So instead I'll wish all of my lovely blog chums over there in the Colonies an outrageously happy Thanksgiving.

(scariest moment in movie history - Wednesday Addams "smiles")


And may the rest of whitey USA suffer acute indigestion.

Thanksgiving reading assignment: Dee Brown's "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee."

Screen grabs from Addams Family Values used without any permission at all. Sorry guys, that's just the way it is …

11 comments:

Old Knudsen said...

Hey you olde history lessoner that pretty much sums it up, I just suggested that book to Rich earlier, I own an old tattered copy, its a sad read, ah well thats what happens.

dive said...

It's a great book.

I'm just waiting for Olde Knudsen's Booke Of What Really Happened In History.
That's got to be a bestseller.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Interesting and good set of pics. So glad you're enjoying my novel and that you found is so real; it's what novelists want most i think: suspension of disbelief. Thanks for your comments.

dive said...

It scared the willies out of me when I first read it.
I honestly thought it was real.
My first thoughts were: "Oh, fuck! What do I say to this woman?"
I am so relieved that you're "merely" a really good writer, and not a potential and very public suicide.

I've put up a link to your blog so the rest of my gang can have a read.

Scout said...

I knew watching Addams Family Values was a bad idea. It just feeds your cynicism (spell?) As for me, I'm going to go eat some turkey and stuffing, have a piece of pumpkin pie and be thankful for my homeland. So there.

Have some tryptophan (also spell?)

dive said...

Cynical? Moi?

Have a lovely day, Robyn.

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

I have plenty to be thankful for and I try to keep reminding myself of that fact everyday NOt just on thanksgiving. I also eat lots of turkey year round as I love a nice turkey sandwich with prevalone and dejon.

Sassy Sundry said...

Yep. That's pretty much the way it went down.

Just about to sit down to a nice, quiet Thanksgiving Dinner to remember the smallpox and broken treaties with the Indians. No Donna. No Nugget.

But here's something I'm thankful for---my conservative father admitted that Bush & Co. are shockingly inept. I didn't even prompt him. Now that's something to be thankful for.

Nice screen grabs. Wednesday was a delight. I think I like the comic strip Non Sequitur because the little girl in it reminds me of Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

Bollocks.

Bury My Heart.. has been languishing on my bookshelves for 9 years now.

And 2006 was supposed to be the year of 'Stop buying new (2nd-hand) books until you've read the ones you've already got, you stupid witch.'

Nice guilt trip, cheers.

dive said...

Yow! Sassy, you're right!
I wondered why I was a Danæ freak (apart from the fact the cartoon is great). Now I know.

Rich; I haven't eaten turkey for around thirty years, but that sandwich recipe makes me drool.

And Spinsterella: Sorry, girl, but get reading.

Scout said...

I did have a lovely day. i made the cranberry chutney and some incredible mashed potatoes with roasted garlic (my sister-in-law found the recipe somewhere), and I had champagne and dogs to play with and a guitar "concert" from a nephew in law who is a magnificent song writer. Good day indeed.