Saturday, July 28, 2012

What Is It About Girls Who Play The Cello?

Hey, kids!
For those of you who - like me - much prefer to enjoy the sights and sounds of the Olympics with the inane commentary switched off (thank goodness for digital TV where such things are possible), and to accompany it instead with spiffy music, Natalie Clein's new album of Bloch and Bruch cello pieces came out this morning and I've been enjoying it over and over all day.
Go buy it.
Now.
Go on!
You know I'm right; I always am.

No sign of any You Tube versions yet, so if you're too cheapskate to pop out and buy Ms.Clein's new CD you'll have to be content with me posting a bit of her previous one: the first movement of her stunning and definitive reading of Kodály's bravura Cello Sonata.

Boffo.



3 comments:

neetzy said...

Totally in love with the cello but you cannot play it with a miniskirt.

Daughter chose viola and flute.

Ms M said...

What an impressive and sensitive performance! Boffo, indeed! We'll have to check her out.

dive said...

With you on the miniskirt thing, Neetzy; it's definitely a flowy skirt or trousers instrument but I had a thing about a cellist called Amanda when I was at school and I think it still lingers somewhere in my … er … loins.

I love the flute but I totally adore viola. It is such a neglected instrument but two of my favourite composers played it (Britten and Bridge) and there are some truly wonderful viola pieces out there.

Ms.M. her performance of the Kodály blows all others clean out of the water. It's astonishing. She's such an intense player. The new CD is mostly of music from the Jewish tradition which suits her perfectly; Bloch's 'Schelomo' especially. I have it playing right now as I write.