Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Thing of Beauty …

Hello … What's this I've found peeking from underneath a tree?

Adorned with real racing cars from the glory days of Lotus …

Why, it's this year's great big Goodwood statue!

An homage to the beauty and grace of Lotus racing cars.

Designed by sculptor Gerry Judah.

He says:
"The idea is to show the lightness of construction,
which is the engineering ethos of Lotus."

 Twenty-eight metres high and utterly beautiful.

Lord March's standard salutes both sculptor and cars.

There are six genuine historic Grand Prix racing cars
magically stuck to the thing.

The curves complement the curved turrets of Goodwood House.

Called "Light Curves",  it looks wonderful
in conditions of changing light.

Vroom …

The usual fate of the Goodwood Giant Sculptures is to be scrapped, but I think this one should replace the execrable mess of junk that has been erected as the focal point of the Olympic Park.
Ephemeral it might be, but it truly is a thing of beauty.

7 comments:

Alifan said...

I so love it… thank you for taking so many photos of it, and I think you should send some to the Eastern Daily Press as I have said before …it could be a landmark for Norwich.

Who decides it has to be scrapped?

What do they say "a thing of beauty is a joy forever"

Speedway said...

Your close-ups make the sculpture look beautiful, but to me, from a distance it still looks like plaster rubbed to a high finish with Hot Wheels stuck on. Maybe you have to be there.

I do like the cars, of course.

dive said...

It's the money men - as always - who decide to scrap art, Mum. Hey ho. Things never change.

You did indeed have to be there, Speedway. It is a beautiful thing close up, especially as the light changes and thousands of different colours yell out "White? You calling ME WHITE?"

Petrea Burchard said...

I like it. Airy. It's larger than I'd originally thought. And I don't know which London sculpture you're referring to but Ham showed one on London Daily Photo yesterday that was just plain dumb.

neetzy said...

This is a keeper! Okay. I'm a girl, but I was a huge Speed Racer fan back in the day and I went to the Indy 500 and I kind of like fast cars.

Ms M said...

I really like the curves of this sculpture and how the light "vibrates" off of them. And I like the cars, too. They add to the surreal quality of the piece. Great photos!

dive said...

Petrea, there's an inelegant lump in the centre of the Olympic Park that's sponsored by some steel magnate and designed by someone who should know better. This would look far better there.

Neetzy, I'm totally with you there.

Oooh, vibrating light! Lovely, Ms.M.