Friday, July 06, 2012

Torchy

What's going on here?

Scantily dressed weemen resting on their rowlocks
and taking pictures?

Aha!
It's Pull's Ferry, opposite the office at seven in the morning
and here comes the Olympic torch.

Serenaded by the Cathedral Choir (hidden under the willow tree),
regaling us with Jerusalem and Rule Brittannia
and a whole lot of other jingoistic nonsense,
the flame is about to take to the water.

Apparently the rather non-athletic people bearing the symbol of naked wrestling youth have been chosen by committee, being nominated for all sorts of good works,
though I have no idea who these two are.

All I know is that the little old lady beside me was getting rather excited at the prospect of somebody falling into the river, which - alas - didn't happen.

Watching the wide woman being inserted into the narrow canoe was entertaining.

And so the flame is off, rowed slowly up-river toward Bishop Bridge …

… accompanied by a small flotilla of local rowers and saluted by those who appear to have forgotten their boats.

Meanwhile, up on the balcony overlooking this historic yet charmingly amateurish event are the office early birds, desperate for bacon.

As promised, the capo di tutti capi gets jiggy with the frying pan.
Yay, breakfast!

By the time we'd snarfed bacon butties and coffee all the crowds had gone, leaving us with a slightly deflated feeling and a whole day's work ahead of us, darn it.

Couldn't resist this last one for the South Park fans.

TTFN.

14 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

I visit other British blogs (I get around) and I've seen the torch pass through other towns (I remember York). But I haven't seen the the actual passing of the flame until now. Well done.

I love the amateurishness. If it was all slick and creepy it wouldn't be any fun. The home-towny-ness is the charm of it. Plus breakfast!

Speedway said...

When the Olympics were to be held in Los Angeles, there was a foot race locally, a 10K I think, to win a chance to carry the torch. The winner of that prize was to be drawn from all the entries. Of course, being a runner (slow), I entered. Didn't win either the race or the prize, but I remember how much I wanted to be able to carry the torch. For some reason, just being in the race made me proud. I'd do it all over again, just for the chance...

dive said...

We were very lucky, Petrea. The rain let up for an hour or so and then came down with a vengeance.
I'm a great fan of amateurishness. We English are particularly adept at it. This had the feel of a typical village fête rather than an official Olympic event and it was so much the nicer for it.
And yes, free bacon butties cooked by the boss: unmissable!

Speedway, it would be a great honour. I don't know about you but I'd probably be constantly worrying about tripping over or the flame blowing out or any one of a hundred idiotic possibilities that I'd not really enjoy it.

Speedway said...

I believe that former race car driver Alex Zanardi is to be a member of the Italian Paralympic team, participating in hand cycling.

Here's the link:
http://www.indystar.com/article/20120705/SPORTS0107/207060313/Former-race-driver-Alex-Zanardi-pursues-Paralympics?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|s

dive said...

Woah, cool! The man's a born competitor.

Speedway said...

Bacon butts I understand, I got one, but what's a "bacon buttie?"

dive said...

A buttie is a sarnie, Speedway.
Slap butter on bread and stuff it with bacon and you have a bacon buttie: the true English Breakfast.

Vanda said...

Naked wrestling? Bacon? I'm clearly missing all the excitement over here in the colonies.

Buttie, sarnie...You loyalists and your quaint colloquialisms.

dive said...

Naked wrestling and bacon sounds like a great combination to me, Vanda.

And I'm proud to be quaint.

Ms M said...

Thank you for this entertaining scene-by-scene action of the passing of the torch.
Now, I am craving a bacon, gouda, & egg sandwich:
http://tinyurl.com/78gccfo

Petrea Burchard said...

Dive, I've just been reading an article about the modern Olympics and how we have the English to thank for them. Every other paragraph makes me think you'll like it, so here's the link:
http://bit.ly/PxftVG

dive said...

That's a boffo buttie, Ms.M.

Hoorah for the Smithsonian, Petrea! What a splendid article; some nicely judged barbs and observations in there. Plus the guy uses the word "hie" - one of my favourites and a blog regular.

The history may be "Little known" outside these shores but it is much celebrated over here.
We tend, however, to consider that the English are not so much to "thank" for the modern Olympics, but to "blame" for them.

Petrea Burchard said...

I thought the article was snarky but fun, and I learned a lot I hadn't known before. "Little known" is right!

dive said...

Snarky is a great word.