Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Hospitality

Yup, it's Goodwood's Festival of Speed (not to be confused with the incomparably splendid Revival Meeting where we all get dressed up - that's in September).
Hidden behind that Morgan is the Lotus building, which is the first place we're headed for after a long drive as …

… being champion liggers and blaggers we intend to bluff our way into the VIP lounge and avail ourselves of their board of fare.

Freebies, peeps!
Yummy brownies and pornographic muffins filled with rich, chocolatey goo.

Damned fine coffee and (yay) jelly beans.
What's not to love?

 Later in the day we'd head back here to watch folk getting soaked by the rain.
Ah, the pleasures of pretending to be VIPs.

And here are some very important persons.
Well Phil and Andy at least.
Breakfast turned into a board meeting between Lotus and Mc.Laren (the guy on the right).
I participated by eating the jelly beans.

I want these.

It was breezy on the verandah so we had the place to ourselves.

More coffee and a splendid view.

Gooey.

The view from the verandah.
I'll post photos of actual cars later.

9 comments:

Alifan said...

So pleased you had a good time now what about all those chocolate brownies, were they as good as Phil makes?

Sorry you got sunburned more probably the wind by the look of the sky.

Speedway said...

Oooh, beautiful cars, beautiful brownies, beautiful floating brownies and jellybeans, and youuu. May I please go with, next time? Pretty please?

P.S., However, I think the sculpture is ugly. Looks like a giant plaster of paris Mobius strip with toy cars stuck on.

dive said...

The brownies were not as good as Phil's but the muffins were outrageously gooey and delicious; we wore more than we ate.

Speedway, I'd recommend the Revival Meeting rather than the Festival of Speed, though it's still a spiffy event. The Revival is more fun and there's serious racing all weekend and you get to dress up, too.

The brief for the sculpture was "make it like a giant Mobius strip with racing cars stuck on it" so you're pretty accurate there, though the racing cars are real ones from the Lotus Historic Collection.
I actually think it's kind of beautiful. I took a lot of photos of it in different light conditions and the effects can be pretty stunning. Just to annoy you I'll post some later. Hee hee.

neetzy said...

So the Good Wood festival of Speed is the one where everyone dresses up and your wear the white coats?

Ms M said...

Looks like you had the best of all worlds, including gooey chocolate treats.

dive said...

Sorry, Neetzy: the Festival of Speed is the midsummer one, where people don't dress up; the Revival Meeting is the fancy dress party in September.

This one's more of a trade show for racing teams from a round the world. All the Formula 1 and Indy and NASCAR and Superbike folk are there showing off (yay) and it's more about modern race cars. The Revival is everything pre-1966.

Ms.M. those gooey chocolate treats were too delicious for words.

Speedway said...

I found a video from the 2012 X Games of cars on a Mobius strip-like loop. It's a "Hot Wheels" stunt promotion.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hotwheels?v=c6PQ49B5Gpw

neetzy said...

Thanks for setting me straight Dive.

dive said...

That's truly awesome, Speedway!

No problem, Neetzy.