This was going to be a post about the idiocy of American gun ownership but all the stuff I wrote seemed fatuous so I left it blank with just the photograph.
Don't get me started. Any idiot can walk into a gun shop, order tear gas, automatic weapons and we are wrong to question him? Idiotic NRA teaparty Religicans. Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition.
I have a cousin, much older than me and certifiably nuts, though able to live on his own, etc. In the city where he formerly lived, he'd ride around town on his bicycle, w/a machete laying across the handlebars. Scared the bejeezus out of anyone who happened to observe this, of course, though the cops knew him to be harmless. (Huh?) It is obvious to anyone who happens to speak to him for 30 seconds that he's out of touch, so explain to me how he was able to create a little weapons collection, among them an M-16 rifle? No arrest record, no jail time, blah-blah-blah. he's NUTS!
There is no reason at all for anyone outside of the military to own an assault rifle, Speedway. I've never understood the America obsession with guns. Sure, when you had no standing army and a volunteer militia of frontier farming folk it might have been a good idea to have a rifle around the place, but now it is just criminally insane.
Some time back, my sister and I were discussing how/why we might meet our demise, barring health concerns and auto accidents. I thought it rather disturbing that we both thought we should be OK unless we happened into someone's little shooting spree. What? Two grown women who lead innocuous lives who even have to count being shot by a stranger as a possibility? How effing odd.
Very fitting photo, Dive. And everyone's comments are right on. Laws should be changed in the U.S. so that the sales of military-style, police issue weapons, body armor, equipment, etc. are not allowed to the general public. But that would make too much sense....
11 comments:
This was going to be a post about the idiocy of American gun ownership but all the stuff I wrote seemed fatuous so I left it blank with just the photograph.
I like this better. : )
It's a kind of prayer of thanks (to any gods who might be listening) that I live in a country with proper gun control.
Don't get me started. Any idiot can walk into a gun shop, order tear gas, automatic weapons and we are wrong to question him? Idiotic NRA teaparty Religicans. Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition.
Couldn't put it better myself, Neetzy.
I have a cousin, much older than me and certifiably nuts, though able to live on his own, etc. In the city where he formerly lived, he'd ride around town on his bicycle, w/a machete laying across the handlebars. Scared the bejeezus out of anyone who happened to observe this, of course, though the cops knew him to be harmless. (Huh?) It is obvious to anyone who happens to speak to him for 30 seconds that he's out of touch, so explain to me how he was able to create
a little weapons collection, among them an M-16 rifle? No arrest record, no jail time, blah-blah-blah. he's NUTS!
There is no reason at all for anyone outside of the military to own an assault rifle, Speedway. I've never understood the America obsession with guns. Sure, when you had no standing army and a volunteer militia of frontier farming folk it might have been a good idea to have a rifle around the place, but now it is just criminally insane.
Some time back, my sister and I were discussing how/why we might meet our demise, barring health concerns and auto accidents. I thought it rather disturbing that we both thought we should be OK unless we happened into someone's little shooting spree. What? Two grown women who lead innocuous lives who even have to count being shot by a stranger as a possibility? How effing odd.
As we say over here: "Only in America …"
Very fitting photo, Dive. And everyone's comments are right on. Laws should be changed in the U.S. so that the sales of military-style, police issue weapons, body armor, equipment, etc. are not allowed to the general public.
But that would make too much sense....
Ah, sense … Nobody's ever tried mixing that with politics so I don't see much hope.
Post a Comment