You mean, of course, the apostrophe police have found another aberrant punctuation mark.
That's it, isn't it, because I've never understood this war between the sexes thing. You meet us, you love us, you admit we're right ALL THE TIME, and bring us flowers and jewels. What's to battle about? Um'''''''''''?
Bugger bringing someone flowers and jewels (and houses and cars) and telling them they're right all the time. I tried that with Ming The Menstrual and look where it got me. Never again. I'll stick with my membership of the Apostrophe Police; it's safer and doesn't cost me everything I have.
Awww, Di've, not every wo'man is a mean'ie. Im' nice, kind and mind my manner's (an' look where th'at got me?) I probably wouldn't ever have a bad wo'rd to say to you, though in conversat'ion I'd mo're than likely sti'ck in extraneous apostrophe's - and you'd nev'er 'now!
Hiding extraneous apostrophes in plain speech? Alas for the helpless men of the world, for ever undone by the dastardly depths of distaff deceit. There is naught so unfair as the fairer sex.
Been waitin' for you, baby, thinkin' tha' you might, like the cops in our town who some'times have a wea'pons collection day, set up a little booth in downtown Nor'ich, askin' the townfolk to turn in all their extraneous apostrophe's. But you'd have to come up wi' a litmus test to be certain theyr'e na giv'n you commas.
Generally speaking, Dive, I think I'm pretty fair, considering Voldemort's sign and big knockers - and all. You'd have nuthin' to fear from me as you are a worthy opponent. :-D
Hee hee, Speedway. The übercool "I fought Voldemort and I'm still standing" beauty mark is a definite plus, but I run screaming from your apostrophes. I'm going to hunker in my bunker and hide from weemenkind for a while. They scare the crap out of me.
Apostrophes aside, how do you make the little dots above the "u" to make it "oo", and the ligatured "ae" to make the fraternal Siamese twins? Do you have additional characters available on your keyboard?
A couple years ago, I asked an Austrian friend how to pronounce Goethe because everyone makes it come out "Gerte." I knew it wasn't right, but couldn't figure the discrepancy between what I saw on the page and what I was hearing.
It's almost too much for a Hoosier's lips to accommodate, to go from drawl to ooo.
For the umlaut, just type "alt and u" on a Mac, Speedway; for the æ ligature, it's "alt and '" and for the œ ligature, "alt and q". Also available at your fingertips are é, ñ, ç, ê, ø, and a plethora of other variations. I can also type hiragana, katakana and kanji phonetically, which saves time on Japanese homework: ひらがな、カタカナ、日本語。 Why people use Windows machines is a mystery I have never been able to fathom.
I'm lucky enough to live next door to Gerry the German and he puts my Gœthe and other German pronunciations right for me (or at least as right as I can manage).
Hope this helps. If you use a Windows machine, go buy a Mac and please don't hit me.
8 comments:
You mean, of course, the apostrophe police have found another aberrant punctuation mark.
That's it, isn't it, because I've never understood this war between the sexes thing. You meet us, you love us, you admit we're right ALL THE TIME, and bring us flowers and jewels. What's to battle about? Um'''''''''''?
Yup, I meant the Apostrophe Police, Speedway.
Bugger bringing someone flowers and jewels (and houses and cars) and telling them they're right all the time. I tried that with Ming The Menstrual and look where it got me.
Never again.
I'll stick with my membership of the Apostrophe Police; it's safer and doesn't cost me everything I have.
Awww, Di've, not every wo'man is a mean'ie. Im' nice, kind and mind my manner's (an' look where th'at got me?) I probably wouldn't ever have a bad wo'rd to say to you, though in conversat'ion I'd mo're than likely sti'ck in extraneous apostrophe's - and you'd nev'er 'now!
Hiding extraneous apostrophes in plain speech?
Alas for the helpless men of the world, for ever undone by the dastardly depths of distaff deceit. There is naught so unfair as the fairer sex.
Been waitin' for you, baby, thinkin' tha' you might, like the cops in our town who some'times have a wea'pons collection day, set up a little booth in downtown Nor'ich, askin' the townfolk to turn in all their extraneous apostrophe's. But you'd have to come up wi' a litmus test to be certain theyr'e na giv'n you commas.
Generally speaking, Dive, I think I'm pretty fair, considering Voldemort's sign and big knockers - and all. You'd have nuthin' to fear from me as you are a worthy opponent. :-D
Hee hee, Speedway. The übercool "I fought Voldemort and I'm still standing" beauty mark is a definite plus, but I run screaming from your apostrophes.
I'm going to hunker in my bunker and hide from weemenkind for a while. They scare the crap out of me.
Apostrophes aside, how do you make the little dots above the "u" to make it "oo", and the ligatured "ae" to make the fraternal Siamese twins? Do you have additional characters available on your keyboard?
A couple years ago, I asked an Austrian friend how to pronounce Goethe because everyone makes it come out "Gerte." I knew it wasn't right, but couldn't figure the discrepancy between what I saw on the page and what I was hearing.
It's almost too much for a Hoosier's lips to accommodate, to go from drawl to ooo.
For the umlaut, just type "alt and u" on a Mac, Speedway; for the æ ligature, it's "alt and '" and for the œ ligature, "alt and q".
Also available at your fingertips are é, ñ, ç, ê, ø, and a plethora of other variations.
I can also type hiragana, katakana and kanji phonetically, which saves time on Japanese homework: ひらがな、カタカナ、日本語。
Why people use Windows machines is a mystery I have never been able to fathom.
I'm lucky enough to live next door to Gerry the German and he puts my Gœthe and other German pronunciations right for me (or at least as right as I can manage).
Hope this helps. If you use a Windows machine, go buy a Mac and please don't hit me.
Post a Comment