Thursday, September 08, 2011

Chihuly! … Gesundheit

Hokay, while I'm at the office today I've got a job for you to do.
Carefully (I cannot stress that word enough) dismantle this and clean it for me, please.
When you've done, be a dear and reassemble it and hang it back up. There's a nice shiny nickel in it for you when I get home. And maybe ice cream.

24 comments:

savannah said...

Right, said Fred! Nicely done, sugar. Seriously, that's a real chandelier!! xoxoxoxo

(Extra points for knowing it's the V(ictoria) and A(lbert) chandelier?)

dive said...

Extra points go straight into your account, Savannah. Well spotted. It is indeed the VandA's Chihuly, as opposed to Vanda's.
xoxoxoxo

Alifan said...

Oh I love this but would not want to clean it.. hope all goes well again today x

Robyn Martins said...

You've got a nickel? Who are you, Mayella Ewell?

This thing looks really fun. Let the dust cover it up—I suspect it's the color it is because it might hide the dust.

mark said...

OK Dive, I'm going to get right on that project. I'm hoping you throw in a couple of shillings and a bob along with that nickel. Great photo Dive.

peahen said...

I know how to clean these things, I've seen Only Fools... "look under the sink for the Superglue and Windowlene Grandad"

I like Dale Chihuly too - as with anyone who does something original and runs with it.

dive said...

Mum, I think it's probably your fault that I can't look at things like this without thinking of how to clean them.

Robyn, who on earth is Mayella Ewell? Actually I do have a nice shiny nickel in my foreign coin jar (yup, it's a foreign coin over here - weird, huh?) …

Mark, I may well be able to dig a few bob up; those things tend to hang around in the backs of cupboard drawers.

Hee hee, Pea!

Speedway said...

A big glass sneeze! Ha! About the right color, too, depending on which bug caused it.

I love Chihuly's stuff and would love to own a bit. Given the prices of even his smallest work, I'll never have any but books, CDs and posters. And I do have a few of those.

Here in Indy, a 43-foot chandelier called 'Fireworks of Glass' was installed a few years back at the Children's Museum. There are also about 1600 pieces in a ceiling below where you can lie on a revolving couch to enjoy the colors.

http://www.childrensmuseum.org/photobooks?pbtab=view&pbid=19&pbpid=245

dive said...

Whooee! Great link, Speedway; I'd not seen that one. Cool!
I love his stuff, but it does bring out the housekeeper in me. How the HELL do they keep those things clean and shiny?

Speedway said...

Well...try this

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article1115384.ece

and this

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article1115384.ece

dive said...

Hahahahahahaha!

Speedway said...

See how easy? All you need is a bottle of glass cleaner, soft rag or two, a feather duster -- and a bosun's seat strung from the ceiling

dive said...

To quote a line from one of the greatest movies ever made:
"Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff. "

Speedway said...

Oops, I screwed up and dropped a bit of Chihuly. Meant 2 separate links, one about the company authorized to clean the stuff

http://www.dennyparkfinearts.com

dive said...

I'd hate to have to pay their insurance premiums.

neetzy said...

I wouldn't even consider touching it. I am such a klutz I could break it just thinking about it.

Robyn Martins said...

Mayella Ewell was the trashy girl in To Kill A Mockingbird. She told Tom Robinson she'd give him a nickel if he busted up a chifferobe.

dive said...

Me too, Neetzy. It's right in the main reception hall at the V and A and I tiptoe past it in case the vibrations from my footsteps bring it crashing down.

Aha! Thank you, Robyn! Now I know. Of course now I'm wondering what a chifferobe might be. Hee hee.

Robyn Martins said...

OH, funny, like in the film when she says the word on the witness stand and they make her repeat it. A what? A chifferobe! It's an armoire.

Ms M said...

Chihuly's work is fantastic! We were lucky enough to have a show of his glass about 10 years ago.
Enjoyed everyone's video links :)
I'll have to pass on your job offer (even though you mentioned ice cream). I'm afraid the results would be a mosaic of glass shards.

dive said...

Hee hee Robyn. Thank you (and your alter ego Scout) for clearing that one up for us.

Ms.M, how wonderful that must have been. How long does it take to put one of those things together (or a whole show of them - sheesh)?
I wonder if he carries spares around to shows in case little bits get broken.

Ms M said...

The show was fantastic! And there was a video that gave an inside look at his process. The chandeliers take hours to put together. I recall that the setup time for the show was longer than usual.
And that's a good question: I wonder if he does carry around spare parts?

Speedway said...

Here's a video from YouTube. Just enter "Chihuly" and a lot of different things will come up, including installations.

http://youtu.be/kPDmwVQ_VWY

dive said...

He had a show here a few years back which I missed, darn it! But I did see a TV documentary of him and his team putting the pieces together. I would be genuinely too scared to walk through a show of his pieces in case I had an attack of the clumsies.