We've had so many gloriously sunny Goodwoods it was inevitable that we'd hit a rainy one eventually.
Even though most of the gels kept their beautiful dresses hidden under coats this year, some were brave enough to flaunt the frocks.
Here's a selection:
Here's a selection:
Now laydees … go look in your wardrobes. If what you see looks nothing like this then throw it all out and go kit yourself out in something gorgeous.
Both of these outfits are fantastic. What the hell is wrong with women today? Just LOOK at these two!
Go on, girls: glam up! You know it makes sense.
Both of these outfits are fantastic. What the hell is wrong with women today? Just LOOK at these two!
Go on, girls: glam up! You know it makes sense.
Va-Va-Voom!
It's not compulsory (unfortunately) to doll up as an air hostess and put in a tongue stud …
… unless you want to of course; I certainly won't complain.
And I'll refrain from commenting on the fortuitously positioned sign - I'm too much of a gentleman … ahem.
It's not compulsory (unfortunately) to doll up as an air hostess and put in a tongue stud …
… unless you want to of course; I certainly won't complain.
And I'll refrain from commenting on the fortuitously positioned sign - I'm too much of a gentleman … ahem.
All cab drivers should look as good as Goodwood regulars the Glamcab girls.
Chim-chiminee, chim-chiminee, chim-chim-cheree, etc.
Please don't sue me if you find yourself singing that all day.
Please don't sue me if you find yourself singing that all day.
The rain put a few frowns on the faces of the Race Queens as they made their way out to the track.
But honestly, who can frown for long when you look that good?
Even the journalists got into the spirit of things; witness this Press-in-a-Dress.
Favourite hair-do of the weekend goes to this chirpy lassie. Wonderful!
As for the women who spurned the opportunity to look glamourous …
Let this be a lesson to you all!










17 comments:
Great photos again this year, I must show some of them to the swing dancers who come to jazz as they always dress in 40's gear...
Better still, take some glam photos of them and post them on your blog.
I enjoy dressing up. I really do. Except the shoes.
The girls in the dresses are lovely, but I'm with Petrea -- the shoes are killers! Aren't there any glamorous Katherine Hepburn types in trousers?
Are there a lot of seamstresses in the area making the pretty outfits for sale, or just a lot of vintage clothing available?
I'm the same, Petrea … High heels kill my calves.
Speedway, there are usually loads of glamorous ladies in trousers but this year was cold and rainy and this post is all I managed to find of pretty outfits as most of them were bundled up in coats.
There is a whole village of vintage and faux vintage bespoke outfitters at Goodwood, but most people seem to come ready kitted out. Retro fashion shops are big over here at the moment so there's plenty of choice.
I think I'd like to have a business creating and selling pretty outfits. I especially liked the jade green dress - and the blue ones on the "stewardesses."
The girls' make-up also seemed remarkably professional and well-done. They look really natural, rather than "painted." Very pretty.
One of the pleasures of Goodwood is the care everyone takes to look good, Speedway. It creates a rare cameraderie; strangers smile and talk to one another and compliment each other's costumes. It really is quite lovely.
Great photos, and even with rain it looks fun.
Um, in the first photo, what's the meaning of the sign that reads "girling"?
Hi, Scout...When I first saw the sign "Girling" I had the same question. I saw it one of Dive's other pictures, too. I think it's some sort of manufacturing company, but it seems it could just as easily be supplying component parts for other activities. I was too shy to ask -- glad you're not.
Gorgeous outfits! They do retro so well. It must be fun to get dressed out for this.
I am with Petrea & Speedway on the shoes, though.
Robyn, I was coming to that …
Actually, Girling make brakes for racing cars.
Speedway, please see above. I have a photo that I was going to post later playing on the word but it seems the mystery has been cleared up already.
It's always fun to dress up, Ms.M. And flat shoes are just as stylish as heels.
I'm suing you!
These costumes are absolutely fantastic. Was this thing one day or the whole weekend?
Heehee, Vanda. Those Mary Poppins tunes are frighteningly catchy.
Goodwood is a three day festival if you can afford it, but we always skip the Friday.
Here on Small Glass Planet, I would have thought Girling was something else entirely.
Girling is something that will get me put on some kind of register, Petrea. I should really steer clear of it.
They look like the covers of pulp fiction novels and remind me of my mother in her stewardess days. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to pull off that look in decades.
What a great observation, Neetzy; there is definitely something of the pulp cover about them.
Your mom was a stewardess? How cool! That used to be the worlds most glamourous job when I was younger.
Post a Comment