Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Wednesday Window

Yes, another excuse for alliteration. Plus I realised I have rather a lot of photographs of windows so it makes for a good no-brainer posting day.
This window is in the Vatican and comes courtesy of Phil.
No, he's not the Pope.

13 comments:

Robyn Martins said...

Very nice. Is the filtered effect an actual filter effect, or is it a result of the glass?

dive said...

It's the glass, Robyn.

Petrea Burchard said...

I love the rippled glass. It's one of the things I like about the old windows in our house, though they're not quite this rippled.

dive said...

Me, too. I like to spot old glass, particularly crown glass from the 1700s as there is so little of it left these days (there seems to be much more glass from 1200 to 1600 surviving in Norwich). I'll post some photos later in the series.

Full said...

I just liked the contrast between the frame and the glass. It's good to have a brother who taught me the benefits of looking for hidden shots which would be missed if I simply followed the guide and just looked at the stolen Roman treasures in the Pope's shed.

Ms M said...

At first glance, I thought this was a painting; the glass creates a wonderful effect on the reflection! A kind of neo-Impressionism. Good shot by "Cardinal" Phil :)

dive said...

Ah, the hidden shots are always the best. If you're at a wedding, always look for the little bridesmaid who's picking her nose and wiping it on the bride's dress; similarly, if you're in a room full of looted Greek and Roman antiquities, take a peek out the window.
Thanks for letting me use these, Phil. More to come.

Ms.M. Don't encourage him. He'll be leaping into rooms shouting "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" and dressing up like Cardinal Fang if we're not careful

Petrea Burchard said...

Yes, but if he does that with his camera ready, he'll get some amazing shots.

dive said...

Hee hee. He'll certainly capture some startled expressions, Petrea.

neetzy said...

What a painterly effect that rippled glass makes! Love it.

dive said...

Me too, Neetzy.

MmeBenaut said...

Gosh it's gorgeous and looks like a painting with a superimposed grid upon it. Phil cast as the Pope caused me to snort! (Sorry Phil).

dive said...

Phil would make a great Pope, Mme.
Controversial … but great.