Thursday, August 04, 2011

Pie In The Sky

This lenticular cloud hovering over Snetterton Motor Racing Circuit like an alien ship from Independence Day would have been more menacing had it not been fringed with what looks for all the world like a proper English pie crust.
Yummy!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really does look like a pie crust.
Thats mother nature mocking us.

dive said...

I think it was nature's way of advertising the nearby hot pie stall.

Vanda said...

That is one awesome cloud.

I saw a pyrocumulus cloud once when we had the forest fires - it looks like a perfect mushroom cloud.

dive said...

Cool, Vanda!
Actually, I think the jury's still out on whether cloud spotting is nerdy or cool. I suspect we could be nerds.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

I am in the nerdy pool too then. I have two books on clouds. One is technical and the other has some great information along with lovely photos.

Great capture of this cloud formation and I do not think I have ever seen this - fabulous!

Bises,
Genie

dive said...

I'm so glad to be in such nerdy company, Genie. The BBC just ran a TV series on cloud spotting which featured some awesome photography.
I'm confused as to what this cloud was doing hovering above a motor racing circuit in rural Norfolk. Lenticulars are supposed to haunt high, hilly regions yet we are as flat as a pancake around here. Perhaps it was on vacation.

neetzy said...

This cloud is awesome! It does remind me of Independence Day! I am a weather geek and perhaps you remember my mammatus posting from a couple of years ago! Geeks rule!

Ms M said...

That's an amazing cloud! And it does look like a giant pie AND the alien ship in Independence Day.
I've always enjoyed watching clouds and weather. When it's hurricane season (as it is now in the US) I keep an eye on the Gulf Coast weather. The satellite pics of the storms are fascinating and sometimes frightening.
So, I guess I'm a weather nerd.

Word verification: butspam
Hmmmmmm....

Petrea Burchard said...

That's a super cloud!

Geek story: My mother lived in McMinnville, Oregon. There she had a friend named John Day, who was known as "the Cloud man." He knew all about clouds, and wrote about them and photographed them. My husband and I were so excited when we met him we ran out to buy his current book and begged him to sign it for us.

http://www.cloudman.com/

dive said...

I do indeed, Neetzy. We don't get mammatus much around here; in fact I've only ever seen a couple of examples.
Yay geeks!

Butspam? Hee hee hee, Ms.M.
Satellite photos of storms are indeed scarily beautiful. I like watching clouds on NASA TV when they do spacewalks up at the ISS. The view from up there is quite something. I'll happily waste hours in front of my monitor watching the earth roll around.

What a wonderful guy, Petrea. I've just been marvelling at the gallery on his website and I've bookmarked it for return visits.

Cafe Pasadena said...

Wow!! Now that is one special skyview picture!

dive said...

Why thank you, CP.
It kinda spooked us as we were watching the motor racing. More and more people started ignoring the cars and pointing up at the sky like we were in a sci-fi movie.
Luckily, however, it wasn't an alien invasion.

MmeBenaut said...

Wow, I look at clouds all the time and this one is a doozy. I don't think I've ever seen formations quite like it. It is strangely beautiful but I think if you look closer you will see the spaceship within. Hee hee.

dive said...

I think at least half the crowd were hoping it was an alien invasion, Mme.

Volmon said...

Wow.