Today, to the horror of our more squeamish Blogville neighbours, Old Dive is going to be steaming these wriggly little fuckers in their own tears.
Woohoo!
Don't worry; I'll be adding lots of wine so they'll die shit-faced and happy.
And then I'll eat them.
Yum!
So … Razorclams … These guys are spiffy.Feisty little doo-dads with a great personality.
They just luurve getting a good rinse; their feet come out and waggle around happily.
Lean your head down and you'll hear their little voices piping up at you …
"Me! Me! … Me first! I wanna go first! Let me bathe in that yummy hot wine!"
Rinse them really well in cold water (or sea water if you live close enough to the beach) as they tend to spit sand.Some people parboil razorclams and then cut off the dark gut section but not me; I like wine too much and I am humane enough to want to give the little guys a last drink.
Just leave the dark bit on the side of the plate. That's the part where all the sand is, so you can eat the rest without unnecessary crunchy bits marring the succulence.
A tomato, garlic, onion, red wine and olive sauce is good with these but any hint of a sauce with seafood grosses Lynn out so today I'll be steaming them using white wine and herbs and a quick side salad of chorizo, broad beans and shallots, together with some wakame seaweed to make our little friends feel at home.
Then heat up your best olive oil (you've heard me swear about this stuff so many times so I won't repeat myself here), add good garlic and a couple of shallots finely chopped (save half for the next part) and let them go all silky and transparent.Add the wafer-thin chorizo and let it sweat some of the fat out into the oil and onions and then toss in the beans for the last minute.
Quick. Easy. Tasty.
Meanwhile, in another pan (heavy, flat-bottomed, non-stick frying pan with a glass lid with a built in steamer vent), heat up more olive oil and liquify the other half of the shallots and garlic.Then add rather a lot of really, really good white wine (time to break out the Chablis), a little at a time until it is simmering away and filling the kitchen with pure joy.
Have a glug yourself while you're at it. Get those tastebuds perked up for the treat to come.
It's about now that tossing in a dozen basil leaves and a bunch of parsley would be a good idea but - as you can see - I forgot and had to throw them in later.
Now, take those happy, wriggling razor clams and give them a few good squeezes each.Do it over the sink as they'll squirt water everywhere.
Then pop them into the hot wine and whap that lid on sharpish!
Where the water was hugged out of them, they'll suck up lots of Chablis and herbs and die extremely happy.
Two and a half minutes is the absolute maximum these guys want to be in there.After only a few seconds you'll see them all open up (discard any that don't open, but then you knew that anyway).
These were really fat, healthy, fresh clams from David and so they all opened and were all totally Heavenly.
Half a dozen each is about right.Stick 'em on a plate and get in there!
The rich fattiness of the chorizo and bean salad, the glorious herby wine cutting through it, the clean taste of wakame and the utterly orgasmic succulence of the razorclams makes for a delicious combination.
Boffo!


23 comments:
I think I'll just drink lots of that wine and get shit-faced and happy while you cook this, and then I'll be amenable to eating the finished meal. The chorizo and bean salad looks delicious; the razor clams look, um, different. I hope I don't have freaky dreams tonight.
Although I'm not big on seafood, I'm sure this dish - as prepared by you - tastes at least as good as it looks.
I love steamed clams and mussels so would probably like these too. (Although the last time I had steamed mussels I got very sick and was afraid I was going to die and then afraid that I wouldn't, and haven't had any since). I'm sure yours are fresh and really good , esp. with a nice chilled Chablis. Thanks for the cooking lesson.
I've seen empty shells of razor clams, but never the 'real thing.' They are kinda weird looking.
Katie, come on over! The wine rack needs emptying and I could do with someone to cook for.
Of course, the taxi home again might be a problem.
Lucio: the biggest fun is playing with the clams beforehand; they're quite jolly little creatures and try to burrow into every available surface.
Oh, yikes, Cynthia! I'm always very careful about where I buy my seafood, having been mugged by some prawns in the past.
Razor clams are indeed kinda weird looking … until you actually taste one; then they're so yummy you won't bother about their looks!
By the way, if anyone's trying to reach me via Googlemail this morning it appears to be broken.
Hey ho.
If anyone is currently anywhere near Google headquarters would you please just pop in and slap a few heads for me?
Ta.
OOOOh now THAT I could eat! Yum. Despite your unenticing intro: and I quote 'steaming these wriggly little fuckers in their own tears.' Ew Dive.
Looks really delicious and not any slop in sight or accompaniment. I'm honoured indeed. That might even blow my flu clean away.
Those look great, but I have to confess, I've never seen razor clams before. Do they taste like their little cousins?
Hee hee, Lynn. At least they died happy, wriggling their last as they sucked up vast quantities of Chablis.
And yes, they are indeed delicious.
Robyn, you really should head for the coast more.
Razor clams taste like razor clams.
Yummy!
I did this with cherrystone clams last weekend, all except the seaweed. Try as I might I just don't like the flavor.
Although after the clams opened I plucked them out and reduced the sauce and poured it herby/garlicky goodness all over them! Then dug in...mmmmm.
Yay for clam Heaven, Prudence!
i'll just have to ask the MITM about this one, sugar! wonder if i can find those around heah? xoxo
Looks good enough to eat. Save me some.
Very good Son, but think I will stick to prawns.....!!!!!!!but they look better than some things you cook!!!!!
Do not forget to make pancakes tonight.....
I'm on it, Alifan!
Glad you enjoyed them Bro.
I was in the Red Lion at Southwold on Saturday night and Derek, the landlord, had a pack of baked tarantula. Yes, really !!
Well how could I resist.
Not too much flavour but quite crunchy.
Didn't cure my arachnophobia though.
Savannah: I'm pretty sure you'll find razor clams all along the east coast. They're well worth seeking out.
Mark: Sorry; all gone except the shells.
Mum: Have you been playing with the exclamation mark jar again? They've spilled out everywhere!!!!!!!!!!
Is it Shrove Tuesday already? Sheesh! I'll have to do pancakes tomorrow; I'm just home and it's nearly bedtime already and I've no milk. Hey ho.
Lynn: Pass one over here would you please? No sugar; just freshly squeezed lemon juice on mine if you'd be so kind.
Phil: Amanda keeps those as pets. I'll ask her for the bodies the next time she gets drunk and leaves the heating off, then we can crispy-fry 'em.
This sounds...I'm sure it's tasty but I don't like the murdering part. What does it mean if they don't open up? That's sinister.
The salad looks fab.
I'm not a vegetarian. I think this all makes me a hypocrite. Or lazy.
You Brits and your lemon pancakes! Don't you know you'll never clog your arteries that way?
Liv loves razor clams. LOVES them. Not me. I will happily eat (and drink) the rest of it, but no clams for this prairie girl.
But, you know...I really love watching you cook, Dive.
I used to find the shells of these guys all over the beach, but never the inhabitant. They look much meatier than the littlenecks and topnecks that I usually eat. The chorizo looks wonderful as well. Oh how I miss wine. Hubby has been "on the wagon" since Jan 1st. He asked me to go on with him. Sigh.
I've never had razor clams, but I'm intrigued. I'll be over for breakfast. You'll be off to work by the time I get there...just leave the key under the mat and I'll find my way to your leftovers.
Petrea, I was a militant veggie for a couple of decades so now I think the slaughtering is a way of overcompensating on my return to omnivory.
Hee hee on the lemon pancakes! I just don't have a sweet tooth; I love sour stuff. Maple syrup grosses me out.
Hey ho.
Maria: Come on over and watch me cook. Bing can serenade us on guitar and Liv can eat all the razor clams.
Neetzy: I applaud you both. I've been drastically cutting down on the booze of late but doing cookery posts always tempts me back to the wine rack.
Sigh …
T: No leftovers, I'm afraid. Unless you fancy gnawing on the shells.
Looks yummy, but I think it's illegal to eat those guys down here in southern Italy. You have to destroy reef to get them out... Maybe yours were grown in a razor clam farm?
Hi, Saretta!
Up here we get them from sandy beaches and mudflats when the tide goes out.
Just sprinkle a little salt on the sand and they pop up for a couple of seconds to spit it out and you can grab them.
Post a Comment