Friday, November 28, 2008

Andy And Dive Eat Japan

Yay for being an old man!
People keep wanting to treat me to lovely things for my fiftieth birthday.
First it was Joy and Thom and Jong, then Mikey, and now Andy lines up to spend money on the old man.
I could get used to this!

So anyhoo …
I took this just around the corner from my office on my way to meet Andy earlier this evening.
This is one of the reasons I love working in Westminster.
As office backyards go it is pretty special.
Especially when it goes "bong".

And here's one to bring back memories for our lovely visitors this summer; Mme, MB and Katie all rode the big wheel while they were here.
I sat the camera on the wall at the end of Westminster Bridge and let it do its long exposure thang. Cool clouds, huh?

And here's the Eye yet again. I never tire of looking at it.
Or indeed riding on it.
Who wants to come over and play next year?

Wahey! It's Andy and Dive doing the formal Japanese greeting thing. All stiff bows and politeness.
Yeah, right.
Andy's back here from Tokyo and about to treat me to a wonderful meal at Tajima-Tei, so we'd better head on over to Charing Cross …

Let's start as we mean to go on … with Japanese beer and plum wine.
After an amuse-bouche of pickled tuna and edamame Andy starts with spiced chicken tempura and I have steamed sesame spinach, both of which are sublime.
The batter on the tempura is perfection itself, achieving both light crispiness and that kind of soft fluffiness you just can't get making it at home. The chicken is so sweet and tender and full of flavour. Delicious (of course we piled into one another's dishes, eager to try everything). The spinach and sesame (always a Dive favourite) was incredible.

It's a shame this one's out of focus as it is pure Andy.
The restaurant was empty when we got there on the stroke of six (opening time), but pretty soon it was heaving with groups of Japanese salarymen on their Friday night saké frenzies. We were the only two non-Japanese in the place but we were both speaking Japanese quite happily to the waitresses and a couple of guys on an adjoining table.
I had real trouble with my Japanese when Joy and I tried out Sakura in Norwich, but with Andy being fluent I seemed to find the confidence to speak it amazingly well tonight.
Hey ho.

Our main course was astonishing, in appearance, taste and texture.
This was some of the best Japanese food I have ever eaten (thank goodness Andy was paying). The sashimi tuna melted in my mouth, softer than candy floss. It was an almost religious experience. Perfect sushi and veggie dishes, wonderful prawn tempura and totally glorious seaweeds, washed down with lashings of marvellous miso soup.

A man with happy tastebuds.
Being with Andy, we talked and talked and talked about our three favourite subjects: Japan, Japanese girls and jazz. We're big on the "J" words.

The waitress kindly offered to take our photo so here we are a few short hours ago (I am only just home), enjoying yet another wonderful fiftieth birthday party.
Hoorah for Andy!
I'll miss him when he goes back to Japan but he's not going yet so we've still got a lot of fun planned.
For now, though, I'm off to bed.
Nighty-night!

25 comments:

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

See, you CAN go out in the evening! This looks a great time you had and Andy looks fun. Gorgeous long exp. shots Dive too. Gosh, I'm suddenly hungry.
By the way. Dive. Old is 80 or 90. Not 50. Puh-lease.

Scout said...

Looks like a great evening. And the food looks great, and you both look so happy to see each other. Cool.

dive said...

Andy is tremendous fun, Lynn.
And a great bass player and Japanese-girl-magnet, too!

Robyn: I am always happy to see my friends.

MmeBenaut said...

Just think how much fun it will be to catch up with Andy when you are actually IN Japan. So glad that you had fun though.

Triple J: we have a radio station here called that!

Maria said...

I love the visual look of japanese food and dinners. Whenever we dine out at a Japanese restaurant, we always sigh over how beautiful the meal is.

And I have never had plum wine.Is it as tasty as it looks?

Anonymous said...

What a feast! You deserve it. Andy looks like he is "live entertainment." How fortunate you are to have such a wealth of friends. I will wager Andy is first rate in every way. Seeeeeeeeeeee! That 50 thing is not so bad after all is it? Nice photos. I enjoyed them.

Volmon said...

Maria: Yes, it is. It's also quite intoxicating, so I always order a half serve. In any case, it's really meant to be sipped and savoured, as if it were being ladled into your mouth by a benevolent squadron of bees in tiny, shimmering kimonos.

(Okay, I made that last bit up, but my point stands: if you're a two-pot screamer, think - and drink - small.)

Katie said...

Ok, I just finished staring at all these awesome photos of London (stunning, absolutely STUNNING night photos - those clouds are incredible!!), your Japanese dinner, Andy, you and Andy, and seriously, I looked up from my computer and was shocked to find myself in CA in my kitchen. I was SO transported to London to tag along with you! What a fabulous way to spend a Friday evening--looks like you had a really fun time. Thanks for sharing your evening with us! And Lucio I'll keep your advice in mind the next time a squadron of kimono-wearing bees try to pour plum wine into me.

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

Looks like a good time. Dive. I guess turning fifty isn't that bad at all.

Jules said...

Hi Dear Dive - am back in the land of smoking volcanoes - well it was good for a minute or two!!! Had a death in the family so the month has been pretty stressful but so good to get back in time for your 50th. Happy Birthday dear Dive - I have been thinking what I could give a gentleman on his 50th - I certainly would love to fly over and shout you dinner but it would be cold before I even got there so I thought maybe I could plant a tree in your honour - a coconut maybe - hmmm I'll keep thinking shall I??

dive said...

Mme: I can't wait! Plus of course it means free Tokyo accommodation at Andy's place. Yay for that!

Maria: the plum wine was a lovely surprise. Andy recommended it as he eats there regularly. It was not too sweet and was fragrant and refreshing. I could have easily downed a bottle and joined the salarymen singing karaoke downstairs.

Mark: you're right about Andy. Not only is he great fun but a seriously good musician and quite the man when it comes to attracting cute Japanese girls. I just wish I had that talent.
Sigh …

Lucio: A pretty trippy but quite lovely description. Even better than the bees were the beautiful and übercute Japanese waitresses. Yummy!

Thank you, Katie. As you know, London is just kinda "there"; you point your camera at it and it will just throw poses for you. What a tart of a city.
I SO wish you'd been there with us last night. We did talk about you (he knows you from the blog … that cool chick from San Francisco) but it would have been better talking TO you. We shall have to find a spiffy Japanese restaurant in Paris.

Rich: Turning fifty sucks, but it does taste good.

YAY! Hi, Jules! Welcome home! I'm so sorry to hear the reason you got called away from us. I am truly glad you're back.
The best present you could give me is to keep posting your beautiful photos to give me something to dream about.

Alifan said...

So glad you had a good time, and thanks for the calls....

What a beautiful looking platter,so clever, glad it tasted as good as it looks.....

Wow the London photos look good as always.....and like Lynn says..50 is young especially to your old Mum !!!

Jules said...

I agree Alifan!!! 50 is the new 40 Dive - or so say all us who are over 50!!!!

dive said...

Mum: It tasted even better than it looked. Yum!

Jules: apart from the great food, fifty appears to suck just the same as forty-nine did.

Volmon said...

"Andy And Dive Eat Japan"

You ate the WHOLE of Japan?! ... I'm impressed.

dive said...

We ate the whole lot, Lucio. People, cities, volcanos; there's just a big hole in the Pacific where it used to be.
Gojira's got nothing on Andy and me when we're hungry.
Hee hee.

Volmon said...

I'm eating France tonight. After I'm done, I'll be using the Eiffel Tower as a toothpick. Once those Frenchies get stuck between your teeth, they're as hard to dislodge as the business end of a vestal's chastity belt.

dive said...

Boy howdy! You're gonna be so garlicky in the morning.

Volmon said...

Katie: Trust me, it's one of the greatest restaurant experiences you're ever likely to have. If, however, you should turn around and find yourself sitting next to Hunter S. Thompson, make a beeline (pun intended) for the door and head for the nearest detox clinic.

Dive: Garlic breath I can live with. It was the bill (not to mention the tip) that was really worrying me. Fortunately, I planned ahead, and made sure I ate all the waiters too.

dive said...

Hee hee. Good thinking.

savannah said...

i am so going to write the name of THAT resto in my book of places to go to in london, sugar! ;-) xoxoxox
don't you just love when a party goes on forver? here's to 50!

savannah said...

and forever, too! *sigh*

dive said...

Hee hee, Savannah.
Next time you're in London I'll meet you at the restaurant.
xoxoxox

K M F said...

very great evening.nice post

dive said...

Thank you, KMF, and welcome!