A big, brash and above all, LOUD good morning to all my Colonial friends with your delightful hangovers, groaning under the colonic burden of Thanksgiving turkey tonnage and eyeing the huge piles of yesterday's leftovers with growing nausea.
I hope you managed to get all the washing-up done. Staggering into the kitchen the morning after the night before to be confronted with piles of baked-on crap-encrusted crocks and pots is one of life's lessons from which some people seem never to learn.
As is the phrase "Oh, go on then; just one more glass."
Of course some of us don't have to suffer that; we have to get up at 4:40 in the bloody AM and head off to work …
I arrived at the office this morning to find that the usual Friday foul-up had been augmented by the creeping horror of boxes of Christmas decorations stacked on the girls' desks (somewhere in there is my nemesis; the fucking singing reindeer) and a roomful of scurrying IT dwarves muttering away in Klingon.
It appears we are in the middle of some kind of server / network apocalypse (again), the upshot of which means I have a small woman hiding under my desk while I work, who appears to be primarily engaged in swearing and hurling bundles of tangled leads across the room.
Whilst I rather enjoy having a woman under my desk the muffled warning to me not to dare say "While you're down there …" sounded ominous.
What's a man to do?
I managed a full twenty seconds of teeth-gritted agony before the phrase slipped out.
This is where a basic knowledge of conversational Klingon comes in real handy.
Thanks to my genetic nerdiness I am the only person in the office on good terms with the IT department and as a result still retain the use of my penis …
Having said that, I did lose several leg hairs.
IT girls are faster than a greased rattlesnake and the moment the phrase "While you're down there …" slipped out a hand shot up my trouserleg and nasty, tweezer-like little fingers yanked out a bunch of hairs from just above the sock line.
A short yelp from me and a long muffled giggle from under the desk and equilibrium had been restored.
My teeth are currently gritted once again, desperately holding back a comment about the inadvisability of crawling around under someone's desk with your rear on display whilst wearing fat-assed IT jeans that gape alarmingly when you bend over together with a quite revolting red thong.
My moan to Amanda about being up at the crack of dawn elicited naught but a raised eyebrow of confused misunderstanding until she turned and saw what was protruding from under my desk; the sight of those bifurcated blancmanges wobbling away sent her hurrying from the room, suppressing shrieked hysterics.
Since her return we have discussed black holes, a yawning chasm and the valley of the shadow of death with no further loss of leg hair but her giggling - and repeated use of the word "but" - is going to give the game away before much longer.
And still the gaping crack of doom wobbles enticingly from under my desk. Do I drop a stapler down there and run like hell?
Ah, the decisions one has to make in a modern office …
18 comments:
he he whilst I sympathise with her inspired retaliation to the hilarious-only-to-males-line "While you're down there..." I don't either envy your view of the blancmanges split in two by a red cord. Yuk. How I hate those things.
IT glitches are annoying to the extreme and humour must be harvested from whichever field available Dive and you've done another great job here! lol.
LMAO!
You're lucky she didn't pull out your public hair.
Lynn: She's gone now. We managed to survive the morning without provoking her again, though most of the office had a sneaky peek at the blancmanges.
Katherine: thankfully I am Mister Popular in the IT department, otherwise I may well have lost more than a few leg hairs.
"Crack of dawn." Very funny. hee hee
Actually, no one in this house has a hangover, I don't think, although I was not the last one to go to sleep last night. We all did overeat a bit, but then some of the more productive in the bunch cleaned up right away, so the kitchen is clean and ready for breakfast this morning.
Because I'm up early, it's just me and the dogs—five of them.
Sheesh! Five dogs, Robyn? Mike and Tiger are going to go ape when you get home smelling of that lot!
I'm glad you're having a nice time.
happy day after here, too, sugar! no over-indulgence and no cooking, so the MITM and i are having a relaxed day. xoxoxo
Glad to hear it, Savannah. Though I wish I could say it was the same here but relaxing's not an option today.
Hey ho.
xoxoxo
What a funny little office you work in Dive.
They should pay you danger money.
"You're lucky she didn't pull out your ........."
Let's start a list.
Let's just say I'm lucky the IT girls like me.
I don't want to think about what life might be like if they didn't.
Since she's an IT person can you say "servers entrance through the rear"?
Ok...that was bad.
No holiday hangover here. Enjoying a nice quiet morning sipping coffee and reading up on the blogosphere.
Sorry you had to wake up at 4:00 AM.
I take that back, no I'm not! hee hee!
Hi, Shazza. It's nice to hear a happy chuckle that doesn't involve the removal of some part of my body.
And one cannot say anything to an IT person and expect a response unless you speak in Klingon.
I have been extremely fortunate with my current IT department. For a start, they are Mac-literate and let me have all the new toys I want to play with.
I seem to be the only human they are happy to hang with. I think it goes back many years to when I got one of our "Hard hats must be worn" site notices and wanted to change it to "Anoraks must be worn" in Klingon for the server room door.
Wandering into the IT room and saying "Hey, did you know there's no Klingon word for anorak" seemed to endear me to them.
Which today saved me from a sudden gender reassignment.
It pays to be nice to strange little people.
As thrilled as I am NOT to be at work today, I was extremely happy to read your hysterical office-related tale of the Bifurcated Blancmanges. (Thanks, I'll never be able to order THAT dessert again.) You definitely deserved that little leg hair loss, but I'm so glad you dared say that line, to, um, get a rise out of Ms IT. I know you'd rather work from home, but think of all the amusement you'd miss!
I suppose I'm the only one here who had to dust off the OED to look up blancmanges.
Coulda been worse, Dive. It coulda been hirsute. Unless you're so inclined.
Katie: I am thrilled you're not at work too. I only wish you were over here with us this evening. You missed a great meal and a lot of fun.
Roll on Paris next year!
You really ordered blancmange? I thought that was just a punishment kids had to go through. Ew!
Mark: you'd have done better with Chamber's French Dictionary.
Blancmange is pink, wobbly and one of the most truly disgusting things you can put in your mouth (and believe me I've put a lot of disgusting things in mine so it's got some stiff competition).
mmmm I love blancmange! No, the pink dessert, not someone's workman's cleavage thanks.
A cheeky gal eh? Cheek floss is one thing, but red cheek floss...eew. Kinda crosses the line there. Shazza and I made dinner for the old man. Old semi-conductor was happy. We stocked up on Chilean wines at Joe Canales. The buyer introduced himself and recommended a Chilean Pinot Noir, and a blend of Carmenere, Pinot and Cabernet. We are suckers and bought about three cases in Jersey. We're not hungover now but...
Lynn: Work-woman's cleavage is almost as bad.
A cheeky gal indeed, Neetzy! The red cheek-floss did it for me. I would have quite happily enjoyed the view were it not for that icky detail.
Semi-Conductor's a lucky man.
Enjoy drinking your way to blissful Chilean oblivion!
Oh, dear. I'm glad you still have all your um...appendages intact.
Post a Comment