Sunday, November 09, 2008

In The Meantime

In the meantime, here's one I made earlier:
http://smallglassplanet.blogspot.com/2007/11/remembrance_10.html

12 comments:

Scout said...

Was there a remembrance service today? Small Town has In Flanders Field read at our Memorial Day service every year—that's in May.

Shan said...

Hey, I just heard(with my eyes of course) that you were under the weather. Take it easy there fella and rest up. You will not lose your fan base if you skip out a couple days. I hope that's not just how 50 feels to you and I know you do too. Feel better soon! :)

Katie said...

It's hard not to get choked up reading those poems and imagining what all those soldiers endured (and are still enduring today). Thanks for reposting this; very moving.

Anonymous said...

Such a fitting tribute to the brave and courageous men and women who gave so much. They deserve a day of remembrance and much more.

Joy said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was that the puppet man front and centre in the last photo???

dive said...

Robyn, lots of your compatriots were marching past the Cenotaph in Whitehall yesterday to commemorate Remembrance Sunday.
Tomorrow is Armistice day and I shall post the photos I took there as I passed it this morning.

You really should look up the Doughboys, those heroic Yanks who came across and helped us in the final stage of the Great War.
The war to end all wars as it should have been.

Europe lost a generation; millions dead in the trenches.
Your brave Doughboys came over in their tens of thousands, threw themselves into the fray and died in their tens of thousands. Their countrymen marched with ours yesterday to remember their bravery and sacrifice.

Shan: I'm still gacky but I'm well enough to go in to London. Thank you for your kind wishes.

Katie: Yesterday as the band of the Horseguards struck up Elgar's Nimrod while the veterans stood to attention resplendent in their medals, remembereing their fallen comrades, I cried like a baby.
I always do.

Mark: They surely do deserve so much more.
It was good to see the US contingent marching past yesterday with their heads held high. Remembrance Sunday is always a great day for comradeship.

Joy: Regrettably, it is not him.
The Puppet Master is back on his old pitch, though. He must have got bored with retirement. You'll see him Saturday when we meet up for lunch.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

In Flanders Fields is very moving. Nice post, Dive.

Katherine said...

Tomorrow is Veteran's Day here, Dive. Thank you for the poetry.

Anonymous said...

Had I been with you I also would have cried my eyes out, Dive.

Maria said...

Ah...just the words "Flanders Field" makes me go all quiet.

neetzy said...

Very touching and timely. I hope you feel better.

Shan said...

Came back to read the post now that I have a longer moment. Such sad, beautiful yet haunting words. They would have been honored by your tribute here,Dive, I'm sure.
Makes me think of my dear long past Grandpas. :(