For any Colonials amongst you who think Africa and Europe are countries and that we are involved in a border dispute with Irakistan, here's some geography: Norfolk is a bug lump of land that sticks out into the North Sea, a bit like Angelina Jolie's arse, only not quite so unfeasibly firm.
Stand on the beach a short drive from my house and look north and there's nothing but grey, freezing sea, a whole lot of ice and the occasional polar bear between that point and the north pole, which means that when the winter northerly winds start to blow we get the arctic slap in the face like a custard pie straight from the freezer.
The rest of the country avoids all of that, so when I emailed my snow photos to the office at five this morning to tell them I'd be working from home I got a flurry of replies (not until gone nine when they arrived at work) going "Oooooh!" and ""Ahhhhh" and "Look at the lovely snow!"
Wankers.
The upside to all of that is that I don't have seven hours of crap commute today (which would inevitably have stretched by a few hours due to the weather conditions).
After I'd emailed the office (and spent a few gleeful minutes sliding up and down the road on the hard-packed snow and black ice - a fifty year old man ice skating in the street in the dark at five in the morning; not something you see every day) I had breakfast in bed and a nice soak in the bath.
Bliss!
Since six, I've been working away happily, all snug and warm, listening to a couple of Berg operas (Wozzeck and Lulu) that would have given the girls at work conniptions, drinking boffo coffee and generally getting far enough ahead in my work that I'll be able to snuggle down on the sofa and watch old movies after lunch (though NOT Fargo).
The snowman on the way in to the village looked nervous and uncomfortable this morning, watching with increasing alarm as the patches of green grass encroached on his personal space.
The thaw has set in.
By lunchtime he'll be more of a snow-penis.
Here are a couple more shots from yesterday:
This is the Dutch honeysuckle just outside my dining room window. Not quite at its gloriously scented best at the moment.
And this is the white lilac (very white, yesterday) outside the kitchen window with winter jasmine down in the bottom right hand corner that will soon be a mass of yellow flowers.Roll on spring!
…
Lunchtime update!
The poor snowman had every reason to look worried. Here he is a few minutes ago; a sad, mouldering snow-corpse.The only good snowman is a dead snowman.
24 comments:
What an excellent day, Dive. There's more to snow than meets the eye.
If you got 2 day's work done, you could take the whole week off, except that B.R. would go broke without your patronage !
As I think I said before, "I love snow" ! - or was that someone else ?
Hee hee, Monsieur!
Yes, today is pretty good for a Monday, especially after such a sucky Sunday.
I wish we had your weather!
Just don't get too close to your snowman, old son.
Considering the desperate state he's in, you could be attacked.
Just tell him to keep a stiff upper lip, - but from a distance !
If you had Adelaide weather, I'm sorry to say that you'd still be on that happy commuter train that we have all come to love.
But the smell of sunburn at such close quarters would temp one of your aromatic rants ?
I'm sure, however that we'll receive one as soon as things warm up a bit.
Monsieur, the snowman is now but a sad snow-corpse. I took a picture of his festering remains a few minutes ago and have just posted it.
As for rants: the closer we get to the misery of Christmas, the more likely I am to get sweary.
absolutely yay for snow days for you, sugar! outside of a weekly staff meeting, i don't understand why they make you come into the office! i mean, isn't that what the internet is for???? xoxoxox
(i'm chanting warm socks, warm socks, steamy coffee...)
Hi, Savannah! Yup, warm toasty socks and yummy coffee is the order of the day here.
I'm pretty sure the only reason they make me come in to the office is so that the girls can make sure I know all about what's been going on in their crappy soap and reality TV celeb-land.
That and the fact that they know full well that as Christmas approaches I am cheap entertainment - they can set me ranting at a moment's notice ; the dreaded singing reindeer will be making its grand entrance some time this week.
Brr!
xoxoxox
So glad you can work from home. Then you can blog more : )
Shhh!
Don't tell the office, Katherine!
And make sure and get rid of that crappy cold.
Get well soon!
don't take the bait this year, sugar! throw a left curve as we say here and just smile instead of ranting! xoxoxoox
Poor snow man. He looks more like a giant rain drop, not like the...ahem...appendage you suggested.
I can only agree with scout, or else there's more to male anatomy than I ever saw in my life time... :-)))
Savannah: I thoroughly enjoy taking the bait!
xoxoxoxox
Robyn and Nathalie: I'm afraid snowman construction methods are not what they once were. Instead of a snow penis he melted into a snow scrotum.
Hey ho.
Europe isn't a country? I hope you took lots of snow photos, because people at the office seem mightily impressed by all that fluffy stuff, and you can pull that "we got tons of snow up here in Norwich so I can't make it into London today so I have to work from home" thing many times and they'd be none the wiser. I'll never get a snow day here in CA, but if there's ever a big earthquake, I'm sure I'll skip work.
This sounds like an enjoyable day of work Dive. You need to do this more often.
I'm not ready for winter yet. In fact I'm still in summer mode when the nights were warm and love was in the air. ahhhh.
Hee hee, Katie. I see Sarah Palin's new career as a geography teacher is going well.
It's getting dark here now and it's pretty much thawed out so I'm afraid it's back to London tomorrow. Sigh …
And don't keep reminding me about your overdue earthquake just when I make up my mind to move there.
Mark: I do it as often as I can.
Rich: We didn't get love in the air this summer; just rain and bugs.
Ohhh...aahhhhh snow! We hit a snow squall on the way to Neetzys for the weekend. Some dork in a BMW going way too fast spun out and hit a guard rail. moron
That snowman kind of looks like a snow turd to me.
But what do I know.
Stay warm!
Ah, morons in BMWs. They're the same the world over, Shazza.
A snow turd, eh? Eww!
It's dark now but it thawed all day and the snow turd is now a snow pimple.
Boy, that lump of snow has been called everything but Susan by now, hasn't it? So much disdain for the non-Susan lump I'm sure it was happy to go. baha
"What a world, what a world!" proclaimed the Wicked Witch of the West while melting away to nothing in the Wiz of Oz.
Fun to see pics of snow already but, goodness me, I enjoy it less and less myself as the years go by! Of course, we never get enough of it to be useful for play. It only mucks up the roads and tracks into the house when cold and dreary days come a'callin'.
I appreciated your explanation of where you are located in your country of Europe-cheeky thing.
Glad you enjoyed your little stint at home today, Dive. May the roads be dry by morning! :)
Hee hee, Shan. Susan the snow-scrotum.
This could be the start of a whole new range of children's books.
Or not …
I did indeed enjoy my stint at home. And talking of geography, Robyn pointed me at Sarah Palin's turkey video on You Tube.
I must confess I am warming to her. The video was hilarious, with turkeys being jammed into the slaughtering widget like Steve Buscemi in the woodchipper in Fargo, but she gamely soldiered on, quite happy with the carnage going on a few feet behind her. Good for her!
I had to look up Norfolk and Norwich on the map today. You are north and coastal! The photos of the area looked beautiful! You must be subject to some interesting weather pattens.(Sorry, I am a bit of a weather geek)
One of the few advantages to teaching public school is the phenomenon of "snow days". I love those unscheduled days off. I actually like being snowed in for a day or two or three. I do find it difficult to accomplish anything when the snow is falling. I find it calming and mesmerizing. I do not, however, like the melted dirty mess afterwards.
Do you ever get snow that sticks? Just curious...
ohhh what a shame for Snowman. He does look lonely. Get him to fly over to me, or walk in the air or something.
Neetzy: The Norfolk Broads where I live is a truly beautiful place. I did a few posts of the area a while back; if you check down near the bottom of my sidebar in the "links" you'll see one called "Coast" that's worth looking at.
We do indeed get our own weather, separate even from the rest of our tiny island.
In the winter we are always the first place to get snow as the winds are funnelled down the North Sea from the pole, but our summers are kept cool by the sea while the rest of the country gets all humid and sweaty.
Maria: We used to get proper winters when I was a kid before global warming. I'm talking six feet of snow plus drifting; stuff that buries trains.
I'm kinda glad we don't get much more than a dusting any more.
Lynn: I would have bagged up the remains and posted them but I think Tewkesbury has quite enough water as it is.
Post a Comment