今日は私の五十代始めます。
私はとても年を取ったと感じますよ。
… which at least got me some sympathy hugs from the girls last night … that is after Mayuko had finished laughing.
Every week, after our initial teacher-pupil introduction thang (very Japanese and also quite funny when your teacher is only half your age), Mayuko always asks us:
先週何をしましたか。
… which is a polite way of asking what we've been up to all week.
I put on my most pathetic, hangdog expression and opined:
"先週私は四十九っさいでした。
今日は私の五十代始めます。
私はとても年を取ったと感じますよ。"
Which means:
"Last week I was forty-nine years old.
Today I enter my fifties.
I feel totally old." (though in Japanese there is considerably more comic emphasis in that line).
Actually, if you feed that into BabelFish (something always worth doing if you have no intention of finding out what something means) it comes up with:
"Last week I was 49 [tsu] occasion.
My five teen it begins today.
I feel that you grew older very."
You'll have guessed I've got nothing to say today.
The weather today is cold, grey and miserable, pretty much like me.
Hey ho.
Addendum:
Aww crap!
Here I was feeling miserable and then I checked out Engrish.com and laughed my lunch out through my nose.

Tempting, eh?
19 comments:
Come to Norwich! The sun is out and quite warm on my face :D
It's always sunny where you are.
I'll have to wait until tomorrow to go to Norwich; the office is keeping me busy here.
you are too delicious for words! xoxoxoxo
Savannah, I feel too OLD for words!
xoxoxoxo
HA. I assume the little plaque in the bottom corner is pointing to the female sex toilet.
he he that's a funny sign. Don't get all the question marks though. Have I missed something?????
Robyn, I wouldn't dare to speculate.
Lynn: Er … What question marks?
You're not using one of those old steam-powered computers that can't read Japanese text are you?
I thought they'd given you a Mac?
he he! Oh. Well at the moment I'm using my own laptop and so I suppose it can't see them. The Mac I only use for work then switch to this one for the evening. Ah well. So Japanese is there, huh? Arrigatogozaimassu. I know a little bit more than that,but couldn't compete with you!
Ah! I thought as much.
I know you've done some Japanese so as your pooter can't read the characters I'll write it out in romanji for you:
Mayuko asked:
Senshuu; nani wo shimashita ka?
To which I replied:
Senshuu, watashi wa yonjuukyuussai deshita.
Kyou wa watashi no gojuudai hajimemasu.
Watashi wa totemo toshi wo katta to kanjimasu yo.
I suppose you had to be there …
It's good to know that Engrish is out there. I visit it a couple times a week myself. I tell myself that it's for professional reasons (snark).
These days, toilets are the only thing that require me to remove my underpants and expose my friendless naughty bits.
I may even be the only man on the planet who is actually looking forward to growing old and infirm enough to require a nurse for the purpose of cleansing his nether regions.
I'd probably draw the short straw, though, and be assigned a freshly arrived (but not very fresh smelling) Ukrainian with more (and thicker) hair on the back of his hands than I've got on my almost perfunctory scrotum.
Hard to know what to say after reading Lucio's, um, revealing comment.
I'll stay safe and just say that I'm bummed that I can't read a single word you wrote in Japanese characters. Pretty lame after 2 years of college Japanese. Gotta love the bathroom sign. I'd prefer a dual sex toilet though.
And I feel that you grew older very too.
I exaggerate, largely for effect, Katie - but also, occasionally, because the way one feels seems so much more real than the immanence of finding someone to feel in...well, you know, that special way. Also, the lure of a provocative word or image word can be so much greater than that of the facts.
Lucio - uh, what? I'm already on my third glass of wine (tough day, don't ask) so my ability to comprehend complex sentences has been seriously diminished. I think I catch your drift, and I'm totally fine with provocative words and images, even at the expense of facts. Exaggerate away!
Katie: Um, yes, I see what you mean. I guess the old gray matter still has a way to go before being fully recovered from yesterday's migraine.
What d'ya mean "tempting"?
You're not going all George Michael on us, are you?
Nope. Lost. lol.
The male sex toilet...that's where our conservative homophobic congressmen hang out. You know, when they're not out protesting the evils of gay sex.
Oh..that is funny. It was like me trying to write in perfect French to Liv in a note one day. (I used to know passable french, but now it slips me as my FIFTY YEAR OLD brain tries to keep it in place.) So, I gave Liv the note and thought it pretty good, until I saw her trying not to laugh. I thought I wrote something like:
I love my little butterfly child.
You are the best thing that ever happened to me.
I love watching your smile pass over your face.
It came out something like:
I feel happy adornment for a bird.
You are the richest article that falls in my life.
I feel happy adornment when I see your big lips pass over your skin.
I tried....
Post a Comment