Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Long Dark Teatime Of The Soul

Feeling autumnal today.

These are the last dregs of autumn colour from my morning walks through Green Park and St.James's Park this week.

Together with my favourite song for spending miserable Sundays alone.

25 comments:

Joy said...

Well, I hope this Sunday is an exception. We just had an enjoyable party yesterday and I was hoping you'd wake up still buzzing from it :D

That music is gonna drive anyone suicidal!

dive said...

We did have a fun party yesterday, Joy.
But I woke up like I do every November Sunday, to a grey day and an empty house and a bunch of housework and no hug.

Miles' Kind Of Blue album is the soundtrack to my life.
Why do you think I'm so happy all the time?
Yay!

Joy said...

I overslept, and it feels like my head is stuff with wool. Nonetheless, I must press on. A million things to do in preparation for the Manila trip. Just under 3 weeks! Yay! You should come with us. It's sunshiny over there :D

Katherine said...

Dive, is this like "Dark Night of the Soul"?

You know, I've been like this before and sometimes, I really get into it.....kind of see it as the moody artist. So long as it doesn't get in the way of completing tasks, I sometimes think it's okay to be Moody Blue.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Very pretty and thought-provoking, Dive. I really must do some autumnal shots.

Anonymous said...

Dive
"It is a thruth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife" ! ?

dive said...

Joy: I'd love to come with you but someone has to stay here and be miserable and that's something I'm exceedingly talented at.

Katherine: yup; that's where it all started, but then Douglas Adams got hold of it and included it in the third book of his Hitch-hikers' Guide to the Galaxy books.

The phrase comes from a section on Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged.
Wowbagger accidentally becomes immortal and - unlike those born to it - after the initial fun gets very, very bored.

"In the end it was Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in about 2.55, when you know you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, and that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long, dark teatime of the soul."

The upshot is that Wowbagger grits his teeth and decides to force some kind of purpose in to his eternal life.
He builds a time-travelling spaceship and sets out to insult everybody in the universe, individually, personally and one by one … in alphabetical order.

My kinda guy!

Lynn: I missed most of them this year. We had a couple of weeks of appalling weather just as the trees were at their best in London.
Stupid weather.

Anon: It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a nice house, a good job and a half-decent ass must somehow never be able to get a date.

Anonymous said...

Dive
...Exactly!
...so look at "Pride and Prejudice"
by Jane Austen

dive said...

Regrettably, I don't know anyone with five sappy daughters they want married off.
I can just hear Mrs. Bennet if I were to walk in and start talking to one of their girls.
"Why, Mister Bennet! Who is that creepy old man pressing his inappropriate attentions upon our Elizabeth/Jane/whatever?
Call the servants and fetch your guns!"

Besides which, the Bennet girls were pretty loathesome.

Terroni said...

Ahh, those were the days.
(she says, as she watches it snow)

dive said...

Snow?
Hee hee hee hee hee.
Sorry, T.

Katie said...

Beautiful leaves. Makes me want to go out and photograph trees today.

And from what I saw (not that I was looking) your ass is at least three-quarters-decent. For what that's worth.

dive said...

Thank you, Katie.
My ass is indeed better if you don't look at it.
Perhaps I should try dating women who don't look at me.
Tricky, but it's worth a try.

Scout said...

Beautiful photos and beautiful music. I don't know why I have put off buying this album.

Katherine said...

What an incredible passage, Dive! Thanks for sharing it! This is why I come to you....for philosophy amongst cantankery! (Recall my made-up word. So much better sounding than "cantankerousness.")

dive said...

Robyn: Everybody with a soul should have a copy of Kind Of Blue.

Katherine: Cantankery has entered my dictionary and become the raison d'être of my life.
If you've not read the Hitch-Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy books, give 'em a go; they are smart, excruciatingly funny and probably the silliest things ever written.

Maria said...

I used to just LOVE this cd...until we were at a party and one of Bing's ex's (and I will have to blog about her one day, she is a total ass and still pines for Bing and lets us both know that) told me that she and Bing used to "make beautiful love" to that song. I wanted to smack her right in the choppers. Instead I asked Bing in the car on the way home what she ever saw in that woman...

And now..every time I hear that lovely piece...you guessed it.

I still think you need to come to Nebraska and let us take you to a Husker game and force you to wear a corncob hat. It would take the lonelies right out of you and be replaced with the sillies.

neetzy said...

Lovely leaves Dive. Ours are all gone! The wind and the rain came and swept away the color. I am obsessed with naked trees so it will be okay. I've been playing Miles at school. My kids do not appreciate it but I get tired of their music. I put Miles in during my planning period. A few students have made me a few interesting CDs full of indy music.

Mark said...

On this cold, dark, dreary day, I sit and listen to 5 minutes of Miles, and it eases my cantankery like a brandy. Thank you, Dive.

And Katherine, I love new words, and how they cut through the schmuzzel of a stagnant brain.

Anonymous said...

OK you've got an offer to go to Manila
One to go to Nebraska
How about one to come down to Avignon?

Oh geez, all these girls throwing themselves at you dive!

Katherine said...

Mark, so glad you like the word!

Shazza said...

Beautiful colors Dive - the trees here have all dropped their leaves so we look a bit barren now. It was a very pretty autumn though.

dive said...

Maria: That is a bummer of galactic proportions.

You'll not have to force me to wear the corncob hat. I can't wait!

Neetzy: ours are almost gone now. I missed the best of them this year as the weather was so crap.
I love the way you paint nekkid trees.

My pleasure, Mark.
Cantakery's a great word, isn't it?

Nathalie: I'll be coming fairly close when I spend a few days next October in Paris with Katie.

And regrettably, girls throw themselves AWAY from me.

Katherine: It's a doozy!

Shazza: Ours was spoiled by the weather. Let's hope for a better one next year.

Anna said...

we have 10 centimeters of snow here. I'd like autumn back for another week or so.

I love Douglas Adams.

dive said...

Hi, Arial.
Snow is pretty but I'm glad we only ever get a dusting of the stuff.
Brr …