This is the mediæval Guildhall at the north end of the marketplace.
The little tree in front of it is gamely holding on to the last dregs of autumn while the Christmas market stalls to the right herald the start of a whole bunch of winter arse.

City Hall from yesterday's post now fulfills the function of the Guildhall, which has become a small museum and some tacky shops.

But hey, it's still beautiful, and as Phil pointed out in yesterday's comments, is contrasted nicely with City Hall itself, whose clock tower you can see peeking over the Guildhall roof.

I couldn't resist these little buggers, crapping all over the east window of Saint Peter Mancroft at the opposite end of the marketplace.
9 comments:
I hate pigeons. So Guildhall was a kind of city hall?
It was where the guilds met to run the city's business.
The pigeons are pretty pooey. The damage they do to the old stonework is horrendous.
:) There is a long and involved joke about hot Mayor Koch got rid of pigeons from NY but I don't remember it. Sorry.
Dive my dear, these are very beautiful buildings and amazing lot of foliage on that beautifully centered tree. Have a great week-end and thank you for visiting my blog.
Hee hee. Thank you, Isadora. I will continue to visit because your blog is so full of beautiful things. Budapest was a mystery to me but now it is gradually becoming familiar and enchanting.
a whole bunch of winter arse
I love it.
Pigeons... When I was four we went to Trafalgar Square. I thought pigeons were cool until one sat on my sister's pony tail and shat in her hair. I keep my distance now.
beautiful old places, sugar...i have to agree about the flying rats such a mess they leave!
They're like vermin in cities, and ironically, their meat tastes beautiful. The answer is obvious.
They do make a nice pie.
Phil uses them for drop-kicking practice.
I haven't had much winter arse yet this year. Just a festive tart or two.
Post a Comment