Monday, November 19, 2007

Why I've Not Done A Monday Melee Today

Whew!

I just got home from Mum's.
I've given her my old iMac as her original, cute little round G3 iMac was getting somewhat long in the tooth.
That's now retired to a corner of her bedroom so she can use it as a video jukebox, and my old one is now up and running in its place.

Mum's new toy.

After all the moaning I did about BT, I managed to get her online and email-able in a surprisingly short time. I only tore out a few hairs (not that I had that many to start with) and didn't even need to rend my garment in frustration.

So now I can get my big new iMac up into the studio and reclaim my dining table! Yaay!

And yes, the lamp is a Peahen original.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a good son.

Anonymous said...

Ps. My heart is broken for Bill Morrissey. I will blog abotu it tomorrow I hope. Surfice it to say he may have gone to rehab too late. Made me sad

dive said...

Thank you Prudence, but what's happened to Bill? I can't find anything on line.
I'll check your blog.

Anonymous said...

Your mum can use a Mac?
I can't use a Mac.
But I can sympathise with a computer housed on a dining room table and how terribly grimace worthy that is.

Jules said...

Hi Dive - my Mum is off doing a computer course so she can email us and comment on my blog. So we are thinking of trying to organise her a computer too!!
Well done.

Isadora said...

Dive my dear, you mean if I b@tch and moan long enough you'll set me up with a new machine as well? or is it strictly a Mum's privilege. (In which case I shall have to redirect) :) nice of you to take care of things for her - she must be quite a lady!!

dive said...

Kate: Anyone can use a Mac; they're far easier than PCs. You just sit in front of it and it does everything for you.
I'm glad you've got your room now so you can join the "reclaim your dining table" club.

Jules: I think it's great for your Mum to be learning to use it. The internet gave my Mum a new lease of life and a whole bunch of friends who she goes off gallivanting with. It's taken a great weight off my mind. I feared she'd spend her seventies sitting and dribbling in a pool of wee.

Sorry, Isadora: Mum got in there first.

peahen said...

I guess if people are used to viruses and the hair-tugging and tooth-grinding that is part of wrestling with Windows, then a genuinely user-friendly system is going to be a bit baffling at first. My mum loves hers too and she was able to magage her photos, music and email right off with very little help. New lease of life indeed.

peahen said...

I should say that the lamp isn't really original. I'm proud of the standard of the work, but credit for the design goes to the great L C Tiffany (or at least his designer Clara Driscoll).

dive said...

The standard of your work is far better than any of the originals that I've seen, Pea.
You are awesome.

And people are strange. They seem happy to spend good money on a virus-ridden, crash-happy piece of crap that makes everything just that little bit slower and more awkward to do.
Bless their stupid little heads.

savannah said...

we need to do the same thing for the MITM's mom. if i send you a ticket will you take care of it? ;-)

dive said...

Hee he. I'll do my best, Savannah.