Progress report:
Well; I've tried being forty-nine for a whole day now and so far it sucks.
Every single train journey has been over an hour late and some bulldog-faced bint from New Zealand just jabbed me in the arm with a needle.
One of the perils of getting older is that the company coughs up for free flu jabs for me.
Ow!
Bugger this. I've always rather enjoyed that trippy forty-eight hours of shivery high fever. As sensual experiences go, I feel flu has been long under-appreciated.
I might still get lucky; the flu jab only innoculates against this year's strain and my stupid train currently passes right through the exclusion zone for the latest H5N1 bird flu outbreak.
If I start quacking and drop dead, you'll know what's happened.
17 comments:
Hey, Happy Birthday, not so old fella! All this travelling has made me miss my daily reads some. I hope you had a splendid BD.
I've had one flu shot in my life and decided that I'd not do it again since I get the flu about once every ten years. I'm willing to risk it.
The flu is a sensual experience? In that it involves a few senses, I suppose. Sensory, maybe. Ew.
I went to work, worked, then went home to bed, Fresh. That's about as splendid as birthdays get these days.
That trippy high fever can be kind of addictive, Robyn. The shivery sensation and the aches are weirdly attractive … or perhaps that's just me.
Our flu shots are next Tuesday. I always feel funky for a few days after but have not had a full blown flu episode since I started getting them.
Sorry about you un-birthday. Perhaps the fates are saving up the good stuff for the weekend!
Hee hee. Thanks, Prudence. The weekend holds housework. Woohoo!
I thought about it and i have to agree about the sensual flu thing. It sall in the way you decide to have the flu. Canned chicken soup and flannel pyjama's could make a person feel decidely crappy.
However crisp white cotton sheets with a high thread count that cost you a weeks pay and satin pyjama's, and of course real chicken soup made by a real jewish mother, big fluffy pillows and movies you can doze thorugh - now thats sensual.
this too shall pass, sugar ;-)
Does it work for "Man flu".
Bird flu - yikes!!! Now Dive it is most important that you look for the early signs of the disease.
1. Feathers start sprouting in dark crevices
2. You start having a serious hankering for seeded buns and bread
3. The goose next door starts to look really attractive
5. Your toes show signs of webbing
6. You start wanting to perch on the TV antennae when the sun goes down.
Take care Young Dive!!
PS I tried 49 for a year then tried 50 and 51 for a year and believe it doesn't get any better. What hasn't fallen off - falls down!!!!
Hey come on!!! I've decided that since my body is falling apart at the ripe old age of 38 but my brain doesn't feel that old, age must be a state of mind.
Buck up, Buckeroo!!! : )
Okay. You can slap me now.
Have you seen the news over the last few days? H5N1 well and truly spreading its way through our poultry farms. Shoudn't the thought of a fatal-to-humans virus establishing itself in the UK be a cheery thought for a 49-year-old Dive? Bring it on, eh?
Hmmm... It's the 15th and no post from you. You ok?
Never got flu jabs in the UK. I always go back to Manila for that.
Next year, are you planning to do something wild (well, wilder than usual)? You'll be half a century old! :D
joy
Norwich Daily Photo
Hee hee, Jules. Most of what was once perky or firm is now saggy mush, so feathers would probably help.
Katherine: You are so young it hurts just thinking about it.
Pea: Unfortunately it's not going to kill everyone, just put prices up. Rats.
Joy: I've been snowed under like yourself. I'll post in a little while. As for next year: I hope to suddenly wake up and find I am still nineteen.
You don't want that really :D A clueless, insensitive, uncouth 19 year old? Or have you always been wise, mindful and suave? Hee hee.
Or did something extraordinary and unforgettable happen that year? I dare not suggest what.
joy
Norwich Daily Photo
Hee hee, Joy.
That was the last year I had a good, slim figure. Yikes!
When I was 23, I came down with the flu. I was flat on my bed sick as a DOG (I actually transposed the letters on that one the first try and it came out GOD. I thought you would appreciate that, Dive..."sick as a god?")....
Anyway, after it turned into pneumonia and I was hospitalized for 2 weeks, I was set free to recuperate at home for another two months.
I get a flu shot religiously every year now and I am fanatical about it.....
Sensual? Are you mad, sir?
I am quite, quite mad.
And sick as a God, too. Hee hee.
Post a Comment