Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Old Man And The Sea Defences

Righto …

Here are the final batch of photos from last Sunday's scenic mosey up my local stretch of the East Norfolk coast:
For the past few days we have witnessed the horrors of tourist-ville and the beauties of the Marrams and we have watched poor Happisburgh fall into the sea; today we'll just take a nice relaxing walk back along the beach.

This was the tenth of February.

The very depths of Winter.

And this was the raging, cruel North Sea.

Little wonder our local surf club was sitting disconsolately in their ramshackle hut-cum-café at Sea Palling, picking the fleas out of one another's dreadlocks (Listen up, dudes: white folk in dreadlocks? For fuck's sake! And perhaps you might like to try washing for a change) …

Actually none of them are local; they're mostly foghorn-voiced Australians with backpacks the size of Volkswagens and they're a friendly bunch; it's just that I've seen the state of the woman making the food in the surf shack and no WAY am I putting stuff in my mouth that's been within ten feet of her.
Eww …

These fishermen, on the other hand, were local.
They'd been here since Friday night and had caught fuck all, but they were happy as it got them away from their wives and kids every weekend; which must have made their wives and kids equally happy.
Perhaps they've found the secret of a happy marriage …
Perhaps not.
They certainly weren't catching any fish …

Here is Norfolk's answer to Japan's Torii Gate.
Boy, that sea was fucking cold!
If you head north from here you go straight to the North Pole without hitting any land. In fact the first land you hit is when you're going down the other side of the planet; a little bit of the Russian Kolyma Peninsula that almost joins up with Alaska, and there's only a few miles of that before it's sea again all the way down to Antarctica.
Brrr …

The skeleton remains of yet another attempt to save Happisburgh from its inevitable watery grave.

And more.
Either that or it's a primitive, local fertility symbol.
Is it just me? Or do those … er … never mind …

The Old Man And The Sea.

Or at least the wreckage of an old man standing amidst the wreckage of a village that's falling into the sea.

So … I'll be out and about, ambling around with my camera again soon.

Other than our Daily Photo Squad, most of you don't show us around your local areas.
I'm a nosy fucker, so get your cameras out and let's see where you live.

20 comments:

Joy said...

"I'm a nosy fucker, so get your cameras out and let's see where you live."

Well if you say it like that, how can anyone refuse?!

Loved all the blue that I saw. Sadly, I was stuck indoors last weekend plowing through notes on my course.

Happy Heart's Day, Dive! :-)


joy
A Pinay in England
Your Love Coach
The Goddess In You
Norwich Daily Photo

dive said...

Happy Hallmark-Tax-Day, Joy (and Thom)!

I can be a silver-tongued devil when the mood takes me. No woman can resist such charming language. Hee hee hee.

Scout said...

Amazing blues! Be honest--did you punch those up in Photoshop, or is it all real?

Nice shot of "The Old Man" by the sea.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Blown away by those coastal shots, Dive. Who'd have thought a beach in the UK could encourage me to want to strip off to my undies, paddle my toes and lay, languishing, there on the sand? Your pics belie the cold, for sure, but i'd be tempted.

Good pic of you, Dive i'm glad we got to see you there, enjoying the winter sun.

Agree, it's so interesting to see others' space in the world.

dive said...

That's all real, Robyn. I should have taken my big-girls' camera out with the polarising filter to make them a deeper blue but I really couldn't be bothered lugging heavy camera cases up the beach.

Lynn: You are more than welcome to come to Norfolk and strip to your undies. You'll attract a pretty big crowd of slack-jawed yokels, however.
Better just stick to fully-clothed coffee and sticky buns.

Joy said...

So what have you got planned for tonight? :-)

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

hahaha nice shot of you dive I'm sure it does you justice.

I like what joy had to say as well.

dive said...

Joy: when I finish work I am going to make dinner, then go to bed with a book.
Anybody fool enough to pay restaurant prices on Valentine's night deserves all the poor service and empty wallets they get.

Rich: I particularly like the way the light plays on my flabby cheeks and double chins.
Hair by Big Gay Alex of Westminster, by the way.

Terroni said...

Damn, these are some great pictures, Dive.

Anonymous said...

Anything in particular youd like to see from the bowels of hell while I'm here?

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Actually, Dive, your plans to make dinner and go to bed with a book sound pretty hot to me! Being single today for the first time on a V day for many years, i find i'm quite comfortable in my skin. I'm not throwing passion out of the window forever with my beach-thrown clothes, but yep i look forward to going to bed with Mil Millington tonight.

dive said...

T: Cheers! Now when do we get to see some pics of your locale (other than Graci's shoes, of course)?

Kate: Your photos are always excellent. So more of the same, please. Happy Hallmark-Tax-Day.
XOX.

Lynn: Joy tells me there are 89,999,998 singletons for you and me to choose from.
Sounds too much like hard work to me; bed and a book looks the attractive option.

Maria said...

I have no idea how to post pics on my blog. Bing keeps promising to teach me...

If I can harpy her into it, I will dig up some desolate prairie snow shots and you will understand why I am fucking mad that it WILL NOT stop snowing here....Ugh.

And I do agree with everyone else that those shots are spectacular. And such a handsome man...but where is your heavy coat? Is the weather THAT agreeable in February?

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

I didn't know you were single, Dive. Well, there's a thought then... lol ! What time shall i turn up with Mil?

dive said...

Maria: when you write your posts, click on the little picture icon at the top of the window (it's next to the movie one, toward the right) and it brings up a browse window. Simply browse through your computer until you find the photo you want and hey, presto!
I try to keep my blog photos under 50k (simply make a copy and reduce the file size).

I can't wait to see your hometown!

And it was actually teeshirt weather on Sunday (and the weather forecasters promise us another sunny weekend ahead). Scroll down and you'll see a girl on horseback in just a singlet!
Come on over! Bring teeshirts. I'll make up the spare bed.

Lynn: Hee hee hee hee hee!

Shazza said...

Hey Dive,

I am enjoying the pictures! Thanks for posting.

I'm up for the challenge and hope to have some new "stuff" for you soon!

Happy VD!

dive said...

Cheers, Shazza!
All of this was due to your wonderful post on your own beach out of season.
If the weather's fine this weekend I may well go out and take some of the other local places.
Happy VD. Hee hee.

Joy said...

Did I say anything about restos??? I'm not a Valentine Scrooge (au contraire!), because I am an incurable romantic really. But like I said on my blog, no to red roses, cards and dinner at a restaurant. Not only do I find them cliche, but just so illogical why people would want to spend all that dough on a lousy meal and get stuck in traffic!

I just thought you and some lucky woman may be doing something 'interesting' tonight!


joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
The Goddess In You

Jules said...

Wow Dive these are very impressive - You'll have to be awarded with an honourary Daily Photo Blogger Badge.

dive said...

Joy: No woman could possibly be that lucky.
Hee hee.

Jules: Thank you, but I've spoiled it today with a non-photo post.