Thursday, February 07, 2008

Beachy

Earlier this week, Shazza posted a beautiful piece about the beach in winter.
Her photographs are amazing and evocative. The north east coast of the US looks almost exactly like that of Norfolk and when I get the chance I'll head down there and do a similar photo-fest.

Winter is my favourite time for going to the beach. Especially in storms.
Except maybe that one Christmas Day when Peahen, Helly, Joan, Vic and me headed out into the gathering darkness with the dogs after Christmas dinner ("Who fancies a quick walk on the beach?" … HA!) and hiked right up the north-east Norfolk coast into the teeth of a howling northerly gale, screaming down from the north pole (we are the first bit of land it hits) and lashing our faces with sleet and hail … Brr … It was high tide and the sea pounded over us and our faces were frozen into icicle-clad masks of pain … The dogs loved it, though.
As did Pea … she still does that for pleasure!

In the meantime here are a few shots of ridiculously calm seas at my favourite bit of East Anglian beach: Walberswick.
I did a post about a storm there once. In the bottom photo you can see the beginnings of the concrete breakwater that starred in that post.

You can also see Old Dive during my "beardy twat" phase, which is to bring you warning that I am hunting through my photographs for a photo of me with a ponytail for a post sometime soon on "What's The Worst Hair You've Ever Had?" and I expect all of you to do the same.
You have been warned.
Perms, mullets, conrnrow, whatever. Dig it out and get ready to be judged.

Even in good weather the coast round my way looks seriously trashed.

The winter storms are gradually winning and the sea is taking back the land.

These smashed groynes are a great place to find mussels. Yum.

Dive: the Robinson Crusoe years.

24 comments:

Joy said...

Close up! I wanna see how your face looked back then :-)

Pretty photos. I like going to the beach myself - no brainer - but when it's really sunny and warm - surprise, surprise. And the sand has to be white and powder-fine.


joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
Norwich Daily Photo

dive said...

It looked hairier, Joy.
And that actually wasn't too long ago. Accelerating decrepitude has really taken hold now, though.

Sunny, warm and sandy beaches tend to have people on them. And you know how I hate people. Ugh.

Jules said...

I agree - I close up with some light on the subject PLEASE!!! Nice legs though - and what is that on your head???

I'm baaaack - did ya miss me??? Don't answer that!!!

My first blog on my return is dedicated to you - how's that for loyalty or smugness or for being a pain in the butt or........

Joy said...

Not where I can take you :) The Philippines has so many beaches that are quite exclusive. The likes of Tom Cruise, Gene Hackman and Brooke Shields go there.

dive said...

Jules! Welcome home!
Yes, I missed you terribly.
And that thing on my head is hair. It lived there until a short while ago and now is making a desperate break for freedom. I still have nice legs, though.

And I think - having seen your post - that it definitely merits a smug award. Hee hee.

Joy: I'd happily share a beach with Gene Hackman. And even Brooke Shields as long as she kept her mouth closed.
But Cruise? Eeww! That's worse than beach tar and raw sewage!

Scout said...

It's unanimous, then. We need a closeup shot, and you have nice legs.

Your coast looks like it got loads of character. Beautiful.

dive said...

I don't have a close-up shot Robyn, but I do have nice legs.

My coast is indeed beautiful. Next time you're over here, ignore London and come to Norfolk.
I'll put the kettle on.

Anonymous said...

Accelerated decrepitude..... are you closet Blade Runner groupy?

dive said...

No, Prudence; I'm an out of the closet Blade Runner groupie …
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tannhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die."
Sigh …
Roy Batty so totally rules.

Anonymous said...

That is my all time fav quote and I so love Rutger. I bought the Directors cut for myself for Christmas. Have you seen Lady Hawk, another wonderful Rutger performance. He makes me swoon.

dive said...

Indeedy. If he's in a movie on TV I'll always watch it, however crap it might be. He does have a certain presence, does he not?

Joy said...

Forget Tom Cruise. Just say you'll go visit the Philippines sometime soon!

joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
The Goddess In You
Norwich Daily Photo

Anonymous said...

I caught Hitcher just last month.. my kids were "like, wow they followed the same plot as in the real movie." I was like...."duh... this is the real movie!"
Kids!

dive said...

Joy: I'd love to! All I need is the air fare and accommodation … darn it!

Prudence: Ha! Kids! It makes me want to put my head in my hands and cry like a girl.

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

You had more hair back in those days dive. This is a great post as I look to the seashore of New England in winter myself. Thanks for the links.

Maria said...

You look as if you need some girl by your side, holding a little picnic basket and casting an adoring look up at you. Oh...and maybe a small toddler running alongside...

And I am so stealing the line "anyone fancy a walk on the beach?" I just want to say "fancy." And ok...skip the beach part since I live in Nebraska. Maybe I'll just say, "Anyone fancy a walk in the snow?"

Yeah. That'll do.

dive said...

Yup, Rich; natural erosion has denuded my forehead, dammit!

The girl would be nice, Maria, but the toddler? EEK! No way!
And yes, Nebraska's probably not the place to be if you fancy a walk on the beach. It would be a bloody long walk!

Joy said...

But you earn so much! Share some of those well earned pounds to the people in the Philippines! :)

joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
Norwich Daily Photo

Istvanski said...

Joy: Those well earned pounds of Dive's go on quality guitars. Not even a Philipine beauty will tear him away from his beloved Les Paul - I should know, I've tried dammit!

Bobby D. said...

Ahhh...those Robinson Crusoe years! Nice pic!

dive said...

Joy: It all goes on train fares, drugs and prostitutes, I'm afraid.

Istvanski: 'Fraid not. See today's post.

D: You are one cool cat. Thanks to you I've been singing Sara all morning (which is no bad thing).

Joy said...

@ istvanski - Exactly how did you try? :D

We drugs and prostitutes, too! :D

Shazza said...

Hey Dive, love your pictures as well.

dive said...

Awww, shucks, Shazza; you're too kind.
I was amazed at how similar your beach is to my own, so - first decent weekend weather we get - I am off to the beach with my camera to show you just how similar.