'This House Believes There Should Be More Sex In Architecture.'
In its most provocative debate yet, Building Futures hosts an evening looking at the role of sex and 'sexiness' in architecture both in terms of what is built and our perception of the profession.
What we build should encourage and inspire the next generation to take architecture on. The built environment is a key cultural asset and the profession is responsible for maintaining its quality and its reputation. Shouldn't we be promoting and encouraging a more energetic approach to building that celebrates vitality and daring? Does the current range of domestic architectural offerings promote the profession in the best way possible? Or is the pursuit of vibrant landmarks merely encouraging over the top, brash and, predominantly, masculine gesturing offering nothing but mere 'fizz' and ego? If architecture is to maintain its serious reputation in an era of very real challenges is it not more appropriate that we celebrate intelligent and responsive building forms that do not rely on gimmicks and veneers to represent the sum of an architects vanity? Does 'sexiness' trivialise and risk the reputation of the profession? Don't we need some sensuality in our everyday lives? Is architecture the best way to express it?
We know you all have views on this subject, so come along and have your chance to question the panelists and inform the debate. The evening features contributions from Will Alsop, Ben Addy at Moxon Architects and David Ubaka at Design for London, the GLA's delivery body for maintaining the quality of design in the capital and is chaired by Philippa Stockley, deputy editor at the Evening Standard's Homes and Property magazine.
This free event takes place at the BDP office, 16 Brewhouse Yard, Clerkenwell EC1 on Wednesday 05 March 2008 at 7pm.
There will be refreshments from 6.45pm for a 7pm start. The nearest tube station is Farringdon.
To attend the event or to find out more about the work of Building Futures at the RIBA, call the Building Futures team on email buildingfutures@inst.riba.org or visit www.buildingfutures.org.uk
If any of you want to go along and stir things up (Lynn perhaps), do feel free.
And take a camera.
I think my buildings are sexy enough as it is.
Having said that, we could always do with more sex in the office.





32 comments:
I love the wavy one, in fact I want it, would make an awesome house.
Thank you, Kate. It makes a pretty good junior music school, too.
That's the one the kids named "Happy House" because they like being in it so much.
And feedback like that is what keeps me commuting seven hours a day.
Dive, your brothel designs are superb!
;-)
Cheers, Istvanski!
I do like to keep my girls happy.
A happy girl is a productive girl.
I like the colon-segment design. The other one is sexy too, but Happy House is very cool.
Thank you, Robyn; Happy House will now forever be re-named (at least in the office) the "Colon-Segment" building.
As it's the junior music department, the building is actually part of a treble clef (somewhat stylised and actually reversed in these early 3D sketches); the rest of which is marked out in the landscaping and external teaching spaces around it.
We're waiting for all the planting to grow up so we can take a photo from a plane.
"Colon segment" … Ha!
Sexiness and form ought to be a function of response.
Response to a want or a need?
We want what we want, but 1/2 the time we don't need what we want. We need what a professional interprets as our needs. But flair, and interpretation of some sense of style, is the province of the interpreter.
If so, all one needs is the free hand of imagination, the budget set in place and sheer, bloody inspiration.
What a wonderful job; if a client gives you a free hand.
One must lead by example in all things, and what better profession to demonstrate this, than that of an Architect.
I reckon y' dun good old son. Perhaps some blokes get inspiration while commuting.
Hee hee, Monsieur B; architects all tend to write alike.
Luckily I work in house for the client and have the final say on my own designs and if a building looks like it's going to be too expensive we'll just spread the build over another financial year.
Don't forget to add sound proof cupboards and unisex toilets.
Oh and make sure the kitchen cubboards and worktops are just the right height.
Hi, Rose.
I design girls' schools, so the only unisex toilets are the visitors' wheelchair facilities.
We have to use prison spec fittings as the little darlings wreck everything wreckable and pick everything bar 5-lever locks to steal stuff or stash drugs and booze (these are "posh girls" schools, by the way).
It's a constant battle against devious little master-criminals.
Hee hee.
oops!
My ideas are not so good then!
Sigh. I get these crap press releases in my inbox every day. I've just replied to one, pointing out that the widget they were extolling the virtues of, well - they didn't even say what it is, what it does! Neither did it explain what the company does. I despair.
I would love to go along to this Dive and stir things up in a sexy way. I could perhaps combine it with my invitation to the release of Speedo's 'fastest swimsuit'. Dear God.
Can't get to London easily right now otherwise i might just for the fun. Perhaps even wearing the Speedo LZR Racer Suit. Copyright circle should be there but i don't have it on my keyboard. Yeah right.
I really loathe the word 'sexy' being applied to inanimate objects. It's taking the theory of sex selling anything to a banal level.
By the way your buildings are truly stunning. Amazing. Those lucky girls.
Hee hee. Your ideas are fine, Rose. But you're a girl; you know that schoolgirls are way more badly behaved (and in such creative ways) than schoolboys!
Thank you, Lynn … Now how am I supposed to get any work done with the image of you in a Speedo swimsuit messing with my mind (and nether regions)?
Doh!
If you ask me the Happy House is "S" shaped although perhaps a bit backwards. S is for Sexy and you were ahead of the curve on this one!
Dive
I was a tomboy who spent most of my childhood climbing trees and cursing my dad for not teaching me to drive tractors so I have no idea how sweet girls should behave!Lynn
You are terrible... you are stealing all the interesting men on the net! First Eric now Dive...tut tut!
Very sexy dive. I wish I could do that.
btw any design that offers more natural lighting is good, as I'm deprived that here at the hospital and vitamin D deficient as well
Rose i do get around a bit - on the net only i hasten to add! I'm completely the opposite in real life; shy, retiring, not at all cheeky and with extremely high morals. lol. I am!!
Dive, you must concentrate ! Hang on, these Speedos fit just where they touch, damned things.
Prudence: It's me who's a bit backward and you who's sexy. Hee hee.
Rose: Your dad was right; I know some girls who drive tractors and they are maniacs.
And a girl at school (Hi, Anne) once told me I was interesting, but she qualified it by saying "in the same way that pouring boiling water on an ants' nest is interesting".
Women! … Huh!
Rich: Knock some walls down. It'll definitely get lighter, though you may want to rack the heating up a notch.
Lynn: Hee hee hee. You are without doubt the most incorrigible woman on the net.
Keep it up!
Dive
Maybe your friend Anne was a bit of a tomboy too, although I never killed ants! She was very wrong though you are interesting.
Lynn
Shy or outgoing you are great fun! Please don't change ;)
Rose thank you very much, i've gone all rosey now ;)
They are gorgeous! Can you teach me how to do that? I have a good eye for design. And I'm good in math. Anything else I need? :-)
I've had some problems today uploading my post, but it's now sorted. Enjoy the weekend!
joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
The Goddess In You
Several years' training i should think, Joy!
Wow Dive - great stuff!!! I was able to download your page enough to see your designs - can see why the kids would be happy.
My school looked like a prison and we sat in it - without fans or heating in temps well over 100 degrees in summer and below freezing in winter.
Thanks goodness architects in Australia are now building sexy houses that take into account our climate and life style. We got it right in the early days with stunning houses with wide verandahs and breeze ways and outside kitchens (like in my post today) then we went European which was stupid!!!
More sex I say - anywhere....except on TV - it can be very painful !!!
Very interesting structures but what is 'sexy' is really a matter of taste and definition - or am I wrong? As to sex IN the office, well with the politically correct environment that too would probably be regulated to the point that there would be no fun left in it. Be careful for what you wish :)
amazing what you say about the residents at the 'posh girl's school' these are kids with everything but parental attention?
Lynn, I don't think I'd be a very good architect no matter how long I train :-) I find certain parts of it logic dependent :-)
joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
The Goddess In You
Norwich Daily Photo
Isadora i don't think that's necessarily the case any more than children in state schools. Probably less. My sons were in private schools and my experience is that parents are full-on attentive, adoring them and wanting the very best for them and putting them first in all ways. It's a common misconception, i feel, about private school pupils and their families.
I think I need to pay to have you come to Nebraska and design me a kick ass house. I love your stuff...
If I ever win the lottery, just name your price, sexy man....
well done, sugar..but you know that! ;-)
WoW...some nice captured shots of the beautiful modern day architecture!
Post a Comment