Hokay.
Enough already with the Latin.
Mea culpa … I acknowledge that you're all girly swots.
So …
Which of you überbrains can tell me (WITHOUT pasting it into a search engine or translator), what the Greek phrase means that I put under my well-earned Whore Church blessing logo down in my sidebar?
If you can't be arsed looking, it's "εδακρυσεν ο ιησους"
By the way, I just pasted it into Google myself to see what would happen and my own stupid blog came up on the first page, after some Greek sites, which is gonna freak out some poor, unsuspecting religious folk if they click on it when I'm having a sweary day.
Big hint: It's in Ancient Greek and it's from the New Testament, so if any of you have a copy of the New Testament in the original Ancient Greek, get searching!
There's a cookie for the right answer.
But you have to come get it.
15 comments:
Sorry, we didn't have Greek at the Catholic school. But obviously that didn't stop me from finding out, thanks to Google, but I'll save it til someone else posts the right answer. :)
It's 526 and I did manage to finish my very rough draft of the 3rd bid! I'm exhausted.
joy
A Pinay in England
Your Love Coach
The Goddess In You
Norwich Daily Photo
Thanks, Joy.
Now have a well earned rest.
I know! I know! I had to look it up, but I know!
It's the cheating verse we lazy bum children would recite when asked for a memorized Bible verse when I was kid.
Ah-hah!
OK. I put it through a translator and got (usefully) "edakrysen the Jesus". Uh, yeah. But then, after reading Scout's comment, it must be "Jesus wept". I am a whore for a cookie. Hand it over.
Oh, I see. No translator allowed? Too many rules to follow just for a cookie.
So … we have plenty of Latin scholars but no Greek ones so far.
Robyn: Hee hee. I bet your Sunday School teachers loved that!
Kate: There are never too many rules for a cookie!
But as your translator was useless and you got it from Robyn's hint I'll save you one.
Next time you're in England let me know and I'll bring it along (Hey, it might happen; Robyn and Ame have already come over here from the States for blog-colliding fun).
It means "Never get off a moving bus"
Give me the cookies on Saturday.
I gave you a box of Pocky.
No more cookies for you.
Not now.
Not ever!
NEVER!
(Do you remember the cookie bear on the Andy Williams Show in the 60s).
i cheated, of course, sugar!
"jesus wept" now i'm trying to remember the smart ass rejoinder we had when sister mary margaret paininmyass read during holy week.
Savannah: I think we need to see some posts about your time at school. You must have some great (and hilarious) stories.
Dive, that's easy !
Jesus was barbequeing fish that the apostles had caught on the Sea of Galillee. Half way through he ran out of gas. That would have been a problem for any mortal. He raised his hands towards the Father and cried, "εδακρυσεν ο ιησους". At that moment the clouds parted and a new gas bottle appeared out of the darkness.
It's in the book of Revelations, chapter 19 v 4 or 5.
These days, Paul Hogan does it regularly, especially when he visits the Pope. Australians have perfected the technique, which you'll appreciate when next you visit.
Hey! Revelations 19:4 and 5 is the bit about the four and twenty elders and the four beasts (and to tell the truth they wasted some really good comic opportunities with that combination).
Good story, though. I'll bet Jesus would have run a mean barbecue.
We grammar school boys were forced into the classics (including five years of compulsory Latin with optional Greek).
It almost ruined them for me. It took years before I learned to enjoy them properly.
Now I love 'em.
Ah...
Did you know that John 11:35 is the shortest verse of the bible?
It is about the time when Jesus cried just before he resurrected Lazarus.
My goodness!
I sound so patronizing...
Of course you know that!
Post a Comment