Monday, November 28, 2011

WTF Monday - Moustache Madness

Thank whatever god you want to pick for the fact that Movember and its associated moustacherie madness ends this week.

Having shaved off my ridiculous goatee years ago (it went the way of the ponytail and the stupid pointy sideburns - sheesh, what was I thinking?) I now find that my facial hair grows a resplendent Santa White and so I resemble not so much a moustachio'ed lothario as a fat man who's been eating doughnuts and has sugar all round his mouth.

Yes, I'm in Mum's kitchen and baking a cake. Mum is the local cakey expert and her oven is considerably less knackered than mine so I borrowed both it and her expertise for my cake. It's for the office Christmas Bake-Off (like a jerk off but with slightly tastier results).

My cake is having a nice rest at the moment and regularly imbibing Guinness and fine brandy. When it's ready for its big prom date I'll photograph the finished article and do a "What's Cooking With Dive?" post, as I've not done one of those for yonks.
I'll be giving Gerry next door a course on Indian regional cookery over the next few weeks so a cookery post or two might pop out of that, too.
Tis the season to eat way too much and end up as fat as me.

And yes, that teeshirt is as close as grouchy Old Dive will ever get to the Christmas spirit.

16 comments:

peahen said...

What a fabulous picture of you Dive, I love the moustache and you know I loved the goatee too!

Your kitchen has been disassembled and re-built as an exact mirror image...?

dive said...

It's Mum's kitchen, Pea. You've been in it enough times to know that. Hee hee.

Make the most of the moustache; it's going on Wednesday night. You were the only person on the planet who liked my goatee. Sorry you got outvoted.

Robyn Martins said...

I like it, too. Do two votes help make the case for keeping the moustache and goatee? Over here, that part would be called a "soul patch," I think.

Anonymous said...

ME LIKEY!!! Flava Sava!

dive said...

Robyn, no amount of votes will persuade me to keep that old man's white scribble on my face.
A soul patch sounds like a shoe repair.

Pru, don't Bogart that joint; pass it over here (name that tune).
I can only imagine you refer to the cake, which should indeed be "flava".

Anonymous said...

You already named that tune by Country Joe & The Fish!

MUM.. don't read this part!!!

I was being crude.. the stach and patch are also referred to as a "Flavor Saver"..(mmm...)

dive said...

Hee hee, Pru! I shall remember that description.
Since the last comments I've been wallowing in the Little Feat version of "Bogart" and getting flashbacks.
Roooooooooll another one, just like the other one …"
Sing along. You know you want to.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes Little Feat! Fraternity of Man..is the root of all evil! LOL
Glad to have made you giggle! If only I could truly "sing" along. Big brother is watching!

peahen said...

Thanks for clearing that one up - it was messing with my head, cooker and sink in the wrong places.

Flip it horizontally and see it become yours!

Alifan said...

Hi Shiela I was thinking I could have taken the photo of a tidy part of the kitchen, it is still my old one bit past it now but I do cook everyday so suppose it is allowed to be tatty.

As for the Dive well he could do with going on a diet like my Oscar cat, but he is like his Mum and Bruv he likes his food..

Speedway said...

Well, I do think Your Fuzziness is kinda cute! And that cake will probably have to be sinfully good because it comes in a plain brown paper wrapper!

neetzy said...

I think the moustache is adorable! It adds a little texture!
looking forward to your cooking post. My goal is to post my turkey black bean soup! I started the stock today, but the stock must sit at least overnight.

Vanda said...

Oooh, imbibed with brandy? I want that recipe!

Lovely 'stache, by the way. Imo, you should grow it longer and twirl it.

Ms M said...

Sounds like a rich cake. Looking forward to your next Cooking installment. Is the Bake-Off a contest? Do winners receive prizes?

Good looking mustache and soul patch! Artful, musical...

My WV is multsock. Perhaps it's a container used to ferment a special type of beer. Or maybe it's a sock which has more than one matching mate.

Petrea Burchard said...

Shave it!

Shave it and I'll be your Dixie chicken.

It was your cake imbibing Guinness and brandy? Not you and Alifan? That doesn't sound right. I'm afraid your cake is going to taste like multsock.

dive said...

Ah, that elder sibling really does love to spoil our fun, Pru.

Pea, mine doesn't have a fat cat on the windowsill, just a fat spider.

Mum, we were baking cake; how could we not makes lots of lovely mess?
And whose fault is it that Oscar and me are fat?

Speedway, alcohol is not sinful if it is contained within a cake.

Neetzy, the texture is a royal pain in the ass. I'm sitting here munching fat toast and yummy bitter orange marmalade and it's going to take an age to get all the marmalade out of my stupid mustache before this morning's site meeting.

Mmmmm … I'd love a nice bowl of your turkey black bean soup though. Home made stock is the stuff of the gods.

Vanda, the recipe goes:
Take the cork out of the bottle (12 year old Armagnac is good),
carefully pour a few drops into a teaspoon and drizzle it on the bottom of the cake, having made some holes with a needle,
drink the rest …
My friend Michael went through a phase where his moustache grew to twirlable proportions; he kept a tub of moustache way on top of his keyboard at gigs and waxed between numbers. That is somewhere I have no wish to go.

The bake-off is a vicious contest, Ms.M. Prizes are to be had but it is pride and pecking order that rule the office. We've already had the first few contestants and I am up against some quality opposition (we have one entry per day between last week and Christmas).
A musical moustache is a strange and somehow attractive notion.
A multsock maybe not so much.

Petrea, it will be shaved and in not many hours. The world will be suddenly filled with shiny, pink, naked-faced men on Thursday morning, all complaining about how cold their upper lips feel.

The advantage of making an alcoholic cake is that cakes like to share and so whatever it drinks we get to drink, too. Yay!