A huge thank you to Speedway.
I awoke this morning to find I was fifty-three years old.
Aww, crap …
I was somewhat surprised that I didn't start screaming as soon as consciousness allowed, but no; my reaction was more of a "meh …"
Oh, well, what the hell. Another year closer to blesséd oblivion.
And so, stumbling around the house like a zombie with a half-grown Frank Zappa moustache, and groaning like Grandpa Simpson I arrived at the downstairs Mac, coffee in hand, to find a birthday greeting from our Speedway in my email inbox.
Of course I clicked on the link. What unalloyed delight!
I've admired the genius of Florence Foster-Jenkins for many a decade, but to be woken and serenaded by her on my birthday was … well, let's just say that this is probably the best thing an opera buff living on his own can wake up to in the morning, so my gratitude overflows copiously in Speedway's general direction.
I laughed so hard at the high notes that I couldn't eat breakfast.
And I dare say Mozart giggles in his grave whenever anyone plays this.
Here's how it SHOULD be done: the beautiful (even in that Star Trek wig) Diana Damrau giving it to Dorothea Röschmann's Pamina in Colin Davis' glorious adaptation of die Zauberflöte at the Royal Opera House Covent Garden (the one with Simon Keenlyside as Papageno - a regular rainy Sunday DVD treat over at my house … come on over).
16 comments:
I was wanting to say Happy Birthday on here, but did not know if any of your pals knew about it, well obviously they do so HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
Please remember when you say how old you are I am 21 years older! Have a good day. xx
Thanks, Mum. I'm enjoying it so far. It would have to be a truly shitty year indeed if it wasn't better than last year, so I live in hope.
Happy Birthday, sugarpie! xoxoxox
(Surprise! for you birthday boy!)
*giggling like a schoolgirl now*
Hahahahahaha!
Thank you so much, Savannah. That was delightful!
xoxoxox
Happy birthday, Dive! It's so nice of you to share your presents with us. I'm giggling, too.
The bright side of being 53 is that you're not yet 83, so enjoy it while you can!
Many thanks, Petrea. I hope you enjoyed my presents as much as I did.
Eighty-three? Yikes! I have no intention of making it past sixty. That's more than enough for me.
I hope you do not mean that! life is very precious Son, and I have had enough tears today, I have to watch the services but have had enough of crying for one day...then watched the end of the Antiques show and they read a letter out from an airman with the headed paper of the RAF that I have on some of dad's old letters.. whoops off I went again, so going to watch George Harrison now.
I hope you have had a happy day though....
Happy birthday from a 52 year old. We can all be carmudgeons together!
Happy Birthday, Dive!
Glad to find the day got off to a good start and...thank you.
Hope you had a splendid birthday, Dive! And thank you for sharing your gifts with us.
Here's to a good week for you.
Here's a little birthday lagniappe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp07YFH1Op0
After a day like that you want to watch George Harrison die? Mum, you are truly weird sometimes. Hee hee.
Thank you, young Neetzy!
Cheers, Speedway. You got my day off to the best possible start.
Ms.M. Gifts that you can share are the best kind of gifts. Many thanks for the Bladder clip. A splendid start to a Monday morning.
Happy Belated Birthday my friend. I must have subconsciously knew it was your birthday as I ingested copious amount of wine on Saturday night managing to see Sunday roll in which, obviously was your birthday, therefore my theory must be true...yea that's it..I swear! I knew really!
P.s the "word verification" just to prove my point further.. is "SWORNESS" Hee hee...
Many thanks, Prudence.
I'm glad you did the wine duty for me at the weekend. I've been fighting off the office cold and so the wine rack has been out of bounds.
Hee hee for SWORNESS.
There you go, racing ahead of me again! ... Hope you had a good one, (young) Dive.
Ah, I wish it were not me who has to make all the running. Lucio.
Post a Comment