Fuck me!
It's a year to the day since my first post.
Happy birthday, Dive, you crotchety old fucker.
And what a long, strange trip it's been.
A year which has seen old Dive transformed from an, ugly, balding, ranty, middle-aged Marxist with a death wish into an ugly, balding, ranty, middle-aged Marxist with a girlfriend.
Woo, and indeed, hoo.
I just wasted two days of my life spending the weekend reading my archive.
Man, what a total bunch of old wank!
A veritable bukake party of splattery toss.
Into which we shall now dip our sticky fingers …
I was going to do a really long post about my first year in Blogville but to be honest I just can't be arsed.
Instead, I shall inflict industrial levels of boredom on you by spending the next twelve days re-living the past year one month at a time.
So … August 7, 2006: A Small Glass Planet Is Born.
My blog skills don't run to doing that swirly effect where you go back in time so you'll have to make your own.
I won't bore you with my early posts, though for historical purposes here is the first one. Sufficient to say it took a while to discover that it wasn't me writing the blog but some grumpy old bastard called "Dive".
Best bits from August, 2006:
I discovered what children are for, in "Finally, A Use For Children".
And in "The Game Of Scunthorpe", I revealed my astonishing superpower to the world.
Bollocks to "Heroes"; this is the real deal!
And I quote:
"Hey! Superpowers! Yaay!
It has slowly dawned upon me over the decades that I have never once lost a sock in the wash. NEVER! That realisation got me wondering and I've come up with a theory:
Everybody has a superpower.
That's my theory …
I mean, some lucky buggers like Superman and Spidey have fabulous powers; others, like Buffy or The Shoveller, have lesser, but still rather super powers.
I now believe - after much observation and several drinks - that we ALL have a superpower, but it's up to us to discover just what that superpower is.
It turns out that mine is the power to NEVER lose a sock in the wash.
So maybe it won't save the world, but in its own small way, I have found it both useful and comforting.
If you have discovered your superpower, please let me know (comments box again). Perhaps we could form a group of very minor superheroes who could pack up some sandwiches and a nice thermos of tea, take a bus somewhere and help someone in a trivial but comforting way.
"Here are your socks, ma'am."
And we could dress up and wear capes!"
In "Dinosaurs", I let slip why I had been celibate since middle-age crept up and mugged me:
"It's probably too late to enjoy the rest of this life anyway. I mean, I'm an ugly, balding guy in my late forties, yet I can't even date ugly, balding, women …
Well I probably could. What usually stops me is a grimly hilarious but un-erotic vision of two middle-aged people entwined in the throes of passion, bellowing and thrashing like a couple of dinosaurs drowning in a swamp …
How the fuck do middle-aged people … er, fuck?
Answers on a postcard, but please, not to me …"
And with "The Truth About Everything" I finally came up with a post I was happy with. So you can blame that one for all that has assailed you since.
So …
That was August, 2006.
A whole year of typing complete arse into a computer.
Back then of course, my readership consisted solely of the wonderful Peahen.
But as the months crawled by Blogville gradually emerged, so over the coming days I will be including the "best of the comments" for each month, too.
Tomorrow: September, 2006; a post you can't fail to miss.
er …
23 comments:
Congratulations. I know what you mean about looking through blogging archive and cringing. I've already deleted a lot of my earlier posts and I think I may get rid of the entire first year all together!
Nooooooooo!
How can we feel good about what we write if we can't go back and cringe at our first attempts, Betty?
Hang on to them!
Happy blog birthday!
Happy Blog Birthday. Many happy returns. I'm glad to know you (and sometimes happy about that pesky ocean). Hee hee. Just kidding.
Thank you, Her Indoors!
It's nice to welcome a Sheffield face. I'm a great fan of Sheffield folk, Jarvis Cocker and Richard Hawley especially.
Hey there, Sassy! Lovely to see you.
One day I'll fly across that pesky ocean, so watch out!
birthday greetings to the balding crotchety old bastard we've all come to love.
much hugs and kisses xoxoxox
Cheers, Kate!
Hugs and kisses right back to you and all at Planet Newy. xoxoxox
Here's a nice Euro-greeting kiss on the cheek, Dive (with bum touching):
mmmwwwaaa
Have a happy blog birthday today. I'm glad you write for us.
it would be quite a sour birthday should you decide to kiss everyone in planet newy. my own next door neighbour, the permatron, would leave a most unplesant taste in your mouth :)))))
You said it yourself...woo, and indeed, hoo :>
Thank you, Robyn.
mmmwwwaaa.
Though bum touching at a distance of four thousand miles is kind of awkward. I'm sure that I'll never be able to fit mine down the phone line.
The Permatron, Kate? Brrrr.
Terroni: It has indeed been an odd year, but more woohoo than boohoo.
Happy Blogbirthday! sorry i'm in brief(s)but catching up after being disconnected for a day. Grr now i know how you feel.
Have you seen Mme's salutation to you at Paris DP? Pop over there !
Trash and burn all those old post that make you say: "what was I thinking"
It's been good knowing you dive blog on blog on
Thank you, Lynn. And thank you for telling me where to find another of Mme's lovely birthday messages (less rude than the first one I found … hee hee).
Rich: Those posts are the only way I can remember what I WAS thinking. My brain is rapidly turning to cheese.
And your blog birthday is coming up soon. What have you got planned?
hi dive - I have only just "discovered you" and have found your posts a real "hoot" - I am looking forward to trolling back thru your 12 mths - when the phonelines here improve or when I buy a carrier pigeon which would be faster!!!
Happy 1st Blogday!!
*driveby posting* hey sugar! congratulations on a wonderful year....absolutley delish reading!!
Wow, well done. One year blogging, and life progress besides. I should go back and take a look at my older posts, too--bad writing, yes, and maybe some decent memories besides.
OUCH!!!
;)
xo
From Mme:
Late, as usual but Happy Birthday on your very own Blog, Dive. You are so cherished by us and not all that ugly or fat after all. Besides, you write so well and keep us entertained with crying laughter nearly every day. It's funny how I can easily read that f... word on your blog without cringing; (it's just hearing it that bothers me and I bet that you are really just as polite as M.B in women's company - he substitutes the f... word with another word "adjective", as in "that adjective crow is back again!" when he can't contain himself which is almost as bad as using the damn f... word). Gosh that was a too long explanation wasn't it?
Why do you think Ame wrote OUCH? Are we all too soppy for you? Well, I don't care! So Happy Birthday again from me. Hugs and Kisses, Mme.
A year in which you gave us the spicerack, you cont.
My superpower is being ultra paranoid and so am never surprised by an attack.
Welcome, Jules, and thank you so much.
I must confess to sneaking peeks at your blog whenever the weather gets lousy here in Pom-land (which is a lot). How can you stand living in paradise?
Thanks, Savannah. We're all waiting for the wedding photos. Have a great time.
SLS: Thanks, Pilgrim. Nice to see you again.
Ame: Let me kiss that better … xo.
Mme B: Gosh! You're right (ask Robyn); when I'm not being "Dive" I am more likely to use such expletives as "Goodness me!"; "Lawks'a'Lawdy" and "Well doesn't that just take the biscuit!"
And I must thank you for all of your splendid wishes I have found dotted around Blogville. Hugs and kisses to you and Monsieur B.
Old K: Tiffany lamps, the spice rack and ironing. You ain't seen nothing yet! I can see I'm gonna have to go buy me some doilies.
And paranoid is good.
Let me just add one more "thank you" - just keep on doin' what you're doin', as a wise man once said.
Post a Comment