Meet one of my favourite trees. This old hawthorn - or what's left of it - sits atop the overgrown defensive walls of Venta Icenorum, the Roman town and barracks built after Boudicca's rebellion in an attempt to subdue the revolting locals.
Fat chance. We're still revolting.
The tree's lovely, though.

10 comments:
Lovely Tree… Pop on Hawk and Owl site and tell me what 'hu sun' has written?
No idea. I can't find the post. Hu is not a Japanese name so I doubt I'd be able to translate it anyway.
Ha ha the people in charge deleted the posts, I have been on and they are no longer there, feel a fool now hope someone else saw them!
Wow. You have leaves. And Nettles. And Spring. I'm jealous.
Ha! It's even harder than Chinese to try to translate something that's not actually there.
Kate, this was from a couple of years back. I'm all out of wood photos so I'm trawling my old pics. The trees are still butt nekkid here.
And ours are just beginning to sprout their leaves. The masgnolias have been profuse and daffodils have bloomed. We had heavy rain overnight, with flash flooding in many areas. The trees are doing a slow dance with the wind as I type, and there is a freeze warning in effect for tonight. So much for the magnolias and daffies.
Yup. Freezing temperatures and a sharp ground frost forecast here tonight, too. By the time it warms up it'll be time for winter again.
I wouldn't say revolting. Maybe slightly nausea inducing under certain circumstances.
That's a nice old tree.
Amazing tree! To think of all it has witnessed and what stories it could tell.
Vanda, if you'd seen me crawl out of bed this morning you'd have been revolted.
Ms.M there are some old oaks around the site whose grandparents would have had Iceni villagers nailed to them when the Romans crucified the fighting-age population after Boudicca's revolt. Trees are marvellous companions for meditation.
Post a Comment