Thursday, April 24, 2008

Let's Make A Racket - III

Delta Blues …

Quite apart from all my other nonsense, Old Dive has for decades been one half of an extremely occasional duo.
About once every ice age, we'll turn up at a small pub in Norwich and play for what must be the smallest but most fanatical following of any band anywhere.
I've played in front of anything from twenty-five to twenty-five thousand people (more if you count festivals, but they're not all there to see you specifically, so I won't) but I am never happier than I am when the two of us are sitting in a pub, laughing and playing with a few dozen like-minded folk singing and clapping and cheering and hollering along with us.

This is us: Dive and Michael.

And this is our crappy poster. We are The Blind Willies.

As the poster correctly states: we are "cooler than an ice-cream enema", " hotter than a chili condom" and "more than twelve feet tall" … at least we would be if we were to stand one atop the other.

The Blind Willies are named in honour of those saints of the blues, Blind Willie Johnson and Blind Willie Mc.Tell, which gives you a clue as to the direction our music takes.
We started off as a reaction against all the widdly Stevie Ray Vaughn and Gary Moore travesties that set off the last blues boom a few decades ago, with a stated aim to reclaim the myriad forms the music had taken before the Newport Festival, when it all went electric and white men started muscling in and commercialising things (yes, I know we're white, but nobody else wanted the job).

After Newport, the blues was three chords, a plodding rhythm and self indulgent twaddle on an electric guitar.
Before that, it was Three-line Field Holler, it was Delta Blues, it was Gospel, it was Country Blues, it was prison songs and work songs, it was regional variations from all points on the Mississippi from New Orleans up to St.Louis and north-east to Chicago. It was slide guitar, it was piano boogie, it was a thousand different things all melded together into one glorious tradition of black (and occasionally po' white) folk music.

And nobody gets to hear it played live any more.
Unless you sneak in to a Blind Willies gig (actually, a few more people have started playing it over the past decade but you can still count us all on the fingers of one hand).

We've mellowed a bit and allowed other blues-influenced music to leak in around the edges over the decades, so this is the only place where you'll hear delta blues mixed with Dylan, Neil Young, Velvet Underground and Captain Beefheart songs (we are the only band I know who play songs off Trout Mask Replica; in fact the only band I know who CAN play songs off that famously unlistenable classic).

Michael has been my main musical collaborator for nigh on thirty years now, through way more bands and sessions than is conducive to sanity.
He's a fellow Marxist, one of the finest delta slide guitar players I know of and he can play any style of blues and jazz piano from the last hundred years well enough to make grown men weep and other keyboard players break their own fingers.
He's also a librarian at the university and is as anal about books as I am.
And - like me - he's also a fan of appalling puns and wordplay. He has his own occasional (and cheese-fixated) band called Gordon Zola and the Rock Four (Americans may not get that one as I believe they mispronounce roquefort as "roke-fort") and amongst his many strange albums (don't try Amazon; he only releases stuff privately and - the ultimate in anti-Capitalist behaviour - gives it away free) are such punnish delights as "Cheeses of Nazareth", "Alice in Sunderland" and the splendid "Carnal Norwich".
You'll gather from the above that the two of us are probably best avoided socially.

Anyhoo …
Here is this week's racket: The Blind Willies play Muddy Waters' "Can't Be Satisfied".

We recorded this in my little studio one afternoon in the early/mid 1990s after we had completed a BBC kids' TV theme tune with Neil Morrissey that never got past the pilot stage (The Wallies; about some cuddly bees who lived in a wood and had stupid adventures, if you must know. It was one of a series of try-outs that eventually led to Bob The Builder).
We had spent the afternoon with the three of us recording multi-tracked, speeded-up vocals for the theme song and were pretty drunk by the time Neil left and we had some tape left, so we filled it with this.

Michael is singing and playing splendid slide guitar.
I'm playing my vintage Martin and trying not to fall off my chair.
I overdubbed my solo while Michael slept on the sofa.

24 comments:

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Lalalalala.... i bet it sounds great.

dive said...

Get yourself a proper computer right this minute, young lady!

Istvanski said...

I enjoyed listening to every note, Dive. You don't know what you're missing out on, Lynn. This certainly does make a fabulous change from electric blues - the playing was sublime!
I love the cartoon dog in the poster and for some reason you remind me of Andy Partridge in that photo.
Ha, Morrisey...as far as I'm concerned, he can bugger off back to where he came from and shove some more daffodils up his arse...hang on, am I talking about the right person here?

Istvanski said...

PS - another porn blow out over on mine.

savannah said...

well done, sugar! i really like this thursday let's make a racket!" xox

dive said...

Istvanski: you are too kind. I'm glad you like the non-wanky acoustic blues.
And I loved the Morrissey joke! Hee hee hee.
I'm on my way over now.

Savannah: Thank you; I'm rather enjoying it myself; trawling through my archives digging up deliberately uncommercial and unprofessional stuff.

MmeBenaut said...

Woohoo. Sounds (and looks) like Michael is one "out of the box" as M.B's auntie would say.
Amazing that he shares not only your love of music (and skill at playing it) but also books and political persuasion. No wonder you've been mentoring each other for 30-odd years. (No pun intended).
I appreciate the skill of this tape but to be honest Dive, I liked last week's better.
And Lynn: treat yourself to a new mac - I can recommend it.

Scout said...

This is my favorite so far! More of this, Dive.

And it's pronounced "roke fert," with an emphasis on the T.

dive said...

Mme: Michael is definitely "out of the box", as are most of my friends (which probably says more about me than them) and yes, the thirty years have indeed been odd.

I promised myself at the start of this series that I would not be lazy and just put out conventional stuff that people will like; hence the foray into the Delta.
I'm afraid there will probably be more later on.

Robyn:
It is pronounced "Rock Four";
"Roke FerT" is the noise it makes as it comes out the other end after you've eaten it.

Americans … Duh! (OW!!!!)

Shazza said...

Wow Dive...any cd's around with your music?

Keep 'em coming!

dive said...

Way too many, Shazza. But luckily not with my name on them.
You may have some of my playing hiding in your CD collection but I'm not letting on.

This series is strictly the amateur stuff, out-takes and live tracks recorded badly. It's for my own amusement.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Yes. I never thought of that... :0

dive said...

Weemen … Huh!

Shazza said...

Dive - I believe I'm staying somewhere in London on Wednesday and Thursday night. Details are still a bit sketchy...nothing like traveling internationally and not knowing where the hell you are staying to keep you on your toes! Would love to buy you a cup o' joe or something stronger if you prefer if you have the time. I'll give more details and I learn them.

Stay tuned...the Shazza saga continues...

dive said...

Eek! I work from home Wednesdays and Thursdays, Shazza!
D'oh!
I'll be here, 120 miles away!

Shazza said...

drats!

Oh well...next time!

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for the magical musical tour. Listenting to you two 1st thing this morning (couldn't wait to get to work today cuz it's Racket Thursday)sent me on a musical wander through Big Joe Williams, Charlie Musslewhite and some Johnny "Geechie" Temple and ending with a little Son House. What a wonderful morning. Thanks again! Keep'em cumming!

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

what a duo you are. I like it and that means a lot coming from me. :))

Shan said...

Yep, your music is perfect and so effortlessly professional. I prefer this light hearted style as well. That's a fun picture. You can totally tell you guys are of the same make. And for the quickest second, I thought Michael was you! Glad your sharing some of your music with us. It's such a 180 from the "bugger bugger kill me now" posts, even though those are equally amusing and entertaining.

And the comment you made saying "first of all, what is my mom doing here?" gave me a huge LOL this morning! That WAS funny! Yep, I visited her when you wrote about how awesome she was. . And she is. :D Plus, she had me at "here's my cat".

But I don't care what you cheese snobs say...I just call it "blue" cheese and lump it on my salad willie-nillie!!

dive said...

Shazza: Drat!!!!

Prudence: Thank you for actually looking forward to the racket!
I must confess I had a Delta day yesterday, but I was listening to Charley Patton, Louise Johnson and Robert Johnson (as well as Son House).
I just love that stuff.

Rich: It means a lot to me. Cheers!

Shan: Hee hee. I love the thought of Delta Blues being "lighthearted", especially with Michael singing "Just can't keep from crying".

And yes, we are cheese snobs and proud of it. I may even put a track from our old blues band The Cheese Mechanics up one week. You can take the blame for that one!

MmeBenaut said...

Blue Cheese. "Rock Fourre" That stuff nearly killed me. I'm allergic to mould!

BTW Pop over to ADP or Sally's and see the Anzac Day posts. It'll be worth it for a history buff like you Dive. xx

Shan said...

I can't help it if the slide guitar sounds like it's having a pretty perky day! And "Cheese Mechanics?" BAHHAHA!!! I will take the blame when the time comes.

Katherine said...

Holy blues, Batman! You guys are GREAT!

Maria said...

Bing is in Tennessee this week at a seminar. I am saving this for her. She loved the last one I had her listen to and made the comment that "I will listen to anything that guy puts out, so give me a shout out when he posts something like this again."

I don't know good music. She does. And she DOES so like your stuff. Me too. But, Bing will be the first to tell you that I like "table tunes." And she says it like that is a bad thing....

So, maybe it is a bad thing that I like your stuff, or maybe I am starting to get some taste?