Saturday, July 23, 2011

Where In The World?

I'm getting a bit bored with posting photos of my neighbourhood. After all, I see it every day. I'm looking at it out of my window as I type. So from now on I might mingle into the mix a few photos from further afield, merely for my own amusement.


Like this one.
Anyone guessing both the city it was taken in and the identity of the guest photographer gets to walk round all day with a smug expression.
And no … it's not that obvious …

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

No idea, England is on my definately to do list.
And here's a great reason why. Gorgeous.

dive said...

It may look like London with all the plane trees, Kate, but is it? I'll let you know later..

Speedway said...

It's a great picture, but the naked trees make it look cold. I bet it's nice and shady in summer.

Hummm, could it have been taken by your Mum, umm?

dive said...

Definitely not Mum, Speedway.
I love plane trees, but as they grow all over Europe that's no real clue as to where this is.
They even grow in California, as I discovered a few years back. Over there, they were introduced by the Spanish (being "platanus x.hispanica") but the first idiot non-Spanish person to reach the area a few centuries later knew bugger all about trees and named them "California oaks" a ridiculous misnomer they suffer to this day and a cause of some raucous debate with my Californian friends a while back.

Full said...

Mmmmmmm !! That looks strangely familliar.
Am I allowed to enter?

Alifan said...

Ha ha neither you or me I do not think Phil, as have a good idea...

I will use Dives blog to say thank you for helping me calm down this morning when I got in a mess over the icing....You gave me my confidence back...

I am thrilled someone thought I could take a photo like both of my boys!!!!

dive said...

Phil, I suspect you might have more of an inkling of where this is and who might have taken it than most people, so yes, give 'em a little while longer to guess and then put them out of their misery.

Mum, I cannot imagine the mayhem in your kitchen with Phil doing the icing. Fun!

Full said...

Just a wild shot in the dark but isn't that the view as you walk along Lungotevere Castello by the river from the Ponte Umberto I towards the Castel Sant'Angelo, in the background to the right?
Takes me right back to Feb 2010 and the Six Nations rugby match between England and Italy in Rome.
Could I be the guest photographer perhaps?

dive said...

You could well be right, Phil. You can be smug all day now.

I thought anyone clicking on the photo would see the umbrella pines and the Castel Sant'Angelo in the background and guess it; after all, there's no other building in the world quite like it.
But no …
At least Kate and Speedway had a guess; I don't know where the others got to. I thought everyone would say Paris but there you go.
I might throw in a few more of your Rome photos if it's alright with you. The local pics are getting a little samey.

Full said...

I did take quite a few.
I'll send you some others from here and there just to make it interesting.

Word verification today is "troota" which sounds like it should be from Call My Bluff!!

dive said...

My, god, that brings back the memories …

Ms M said...

Well, I missed out on guessing, but I would have been wrong anyway. [I am not as well traveled as some of the other blog folk.]
Interesting photo; the bare trees and lack of people give an unsettled feeling to it.

neetzy said...

I was out o town so I totally missed the contest, but I love the trees. Plane trees eh? They look like what we stateside folk call "Sycamore".

dive said...

True sycamores don't have the flaking trunks, Neetzy. Well spotted, though, as they are kind of related, sycamore being of the species 'pseudoplatanus' (fake plane) in Latin.

neetzy said...

Well our "sycamores" are flaky so I guess they must be plane trees.

dive said...

Hee hee, Neetzy. As long as you enjoy them, that's the main thing.