Friday, July 29, 2011

Rules Is Rules

In St.James's Park in the heart of Westminster there is a small sign asking people not to sit in the fenced off area as the water birds like to roost there undisturbed. There is another small sign asking people (to little effect) not to feed the pigeons.
And that's all …
In Paris, however, they take their park rules seriously (as anybody who has ever tried sitting on the grass in Les Jardins des Tuileries will know from painful experience), and this sign is prominently displayed just about everywhere you look.
Do click on this picture to blow it up and take a read. There are some quite startling (and amusing) rules hidden away in there.
If you don't read French, type some of it into Babel Fish for an even more baffling experience.
Happy Friday, peeps.

10 comments:

Robyn Martins said...

That's sort of surprising. I had this image of the French as being sort of free and easy. And you know, Americans think the British are stuffy and buttoned up, so there's that.

savannah said...

Sweet Mary Sunshine, sugar, don't get me started on the French and their anal-retentive rules! Super Nana lived there for five years, so I spent some time there...cheese, wine and bread are the things they should stick to and forget everything else! xoxoxo

dive said...

We ARE stuffy and buttoned up. Robyn, but head across the channel and you'll be wading knee deep in red tape. Which language gave us the word "bureaucracy" after all?

Ah, Savannah, but the cheese, wine and bread make it all worthwhile.

dive said...

Oh, and many congratulations to Super Nana on her engagement!
xoxoxox

Petrea Burchard said...

Even French people aren't going to read that.

dive said...

Actually, it's quite entertaining, Petrea, and says far more about the French psyche than was probably intended.

Full said...

I got thrown out of the Jardin De Fleurs in 1978 for sitting on the grass. I do love Le wine and Le grub though.

dive said...

There's only one park I know of where they encourage grass-sitting and that's Place des Vosges. Next time you're there remember that.
It's also got Victor Hugo's house and a great little restaurant on the corner. Plus, from memory, an insane hat shop.
Pass le vin over here, and don't bogart that cheese.

Ms M said...

I can't read French well enough to understand the reglement, but I did find that kite-flying is prohibited in most Parisian parks. I came across a site of kite aerial photographers who were discussing this -- and how to get around it. (They posted some cool photos)

dive said...

Rules can be strange things, Ms.M. I can understand the kite flying one though, as it would be pretty difficult to get the things in the air if you're only allowed to stick to the crowded paths and not run over the grass.