I have so many photos of stained glass. For a Marxist Atheist I seem to have a perverse fascination with ecclesiastical glazing, though I am more a fan of Tiffany's glass, probably thanks to Shiela filling my house with it. The Tiffany exhibition at the Musée du Luxembourg a couple of years back was mind-blowing, but of course no cameras were allowed inside, so duh. The photo at the bottom of this post is the closest you'll get unless you come round to my house to look at the catalogue.
Anyhoo, to save myself having to think of anything to write on a Sunday (and with apologies to rant fans for my having become addicted of late to photo-posting in favour of lengthy and splenetic romps through Roget's Profanisaurus) here is the start of yet another series.
I'm a huge fan of the light that stained glass casts on other surfaces and here is a nice example of that.
This is one of the many fine views available inside l'Église Saint Gervais et Saint Protais, tucked away behind Hôtel de Ville near the Seine in Paris.
One of the oldest Paris churches it is now adorned with magnificent modern stained glass thanks to a fabulous restoration made necessary by a German shell blowing the crap out of the place in March 1918, killing 88 people.
Here's the church from the outside. It's well worth a visit and not just for the stained glass; those buttresses are unconscionably spiffy, too. And of course, if you're of a religious bent you can always say hi to God while you're there.
Look out for more of the same on Sundays from now on … at least until I get bored and do something else.



12 comments:
Great photos again, glad you can at least love the Churches even though you say you do not believe!
But I do, and always get such a lovely feeling that I am loved when in a Church, when we were in Malta we visited a lot when I was expecting you... hope that did not put you off.
I believe that there is an angel guiding us and also looking after all our loved ones so hope that makes up for you not believng!
You can believe for both of us, mum. Don't slap me for giggling at you going to a jazz gig instead of church today.
Your photo of colored light cast by the stained glass upon the walls/ceilings is just exquisite! I've always loved stained glass. When I went to church as a kid, my attention was on gazing at the windows, rather than the sermon. I've often wondered if people were inspired to make stained glass from seeing sunlight glowing through leaves and flower petals.
glad to be of service :)
And I'm with your Mum on angels too - I like believing in them more than not believing in them. (Hello B)
I'm not a believer either but I love churches, especially old ones. Over the centuries people have put so much talent and love into buildings for God.
And if God is who folks says he is, Alifan can say hi to him from a jazz gig as easily as she can from church.
I absolutely LOVE the photo of the reflections cast by the windows! I love stained glass and I am so glad Tiffany decided to use his talents to share with the non-church people.
And it's perfectly okay if you post photos. You write enough for all of us!
What?!? I finally make it back to your blog and there are NO RANTS!? (Sigh!) Stained glass is...very peaceful...
Ms.M. you are too kind.
I was the same in church when I was a kid, but then most stained glass was there for that very purpose: the education of the mostly illiterate congregation using pictorial scenes from the Bible.
Sunlight through leaves and petals is beautiful so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the original inspiration.
Pea, look out for Stained Glass Sundays from now on. I took a lot of photos of glass in Paris for you and then forgot to show you so I'll make up for it over the coming weeks.
Petrea, you're right. If jazz isn't making "a joyful noise unto the Lord" then I don't know what is.
Neetzy, there'll be more photos of light cast on walls coming up. It reminds me of some of your paintings.
Kate, I'm all ranted out at the moment. Fret not, for there are an awful lot of things out there for me to get ranty about in the future.
I love the reflections on the ceilings in the first photo. This series of photo posts is making me wish for another visit to Paris. Sigh.
dive, you know that I love seeing the churches and think that the stained glass shadows here are fabulous seen from your camera... Thanks for keeping my blog company while I was in DW - I have returned! Merci, beaucoup!
Bises,
Genie
Oh, and I love your mum... be a good son to her (I know you are)
G
Robyn, we have SO got to meet in Paris! And for more than a day this time.
Genie, welcome back from the Land of the Mouse. I trust you had a splendid time.
I love my mum, too. She's actually pretty good company for a crotchety old woman.
Post a Comment