Friday, April 22, 2011

Sometimes Friday Is Just Friday

Hey! It's Good Friday!
It's getting on for two thousand years since they nailed a man to a cross and left him to die for quoting Bill and Ted and telling folk to "Be excellent to one another."
So …
What have we learned in those two thousand years?

Wow! We must have learned a lot because here we are living in a caring, sharing society free from greed and poverty, from war and hatred, hypocrisy, bigotry, rape, murder, exploitation and fear. No big corporations steal money from the taxpayer and rape the environment; no political parties endorse race hate, misogyny, homophobia, self-serving greed and lust for power; no Christian has ever shown intolerance toward others, let alone persecute them for any reason whatsoever; no rich man has ever said "Bugger rendering unto Cæsar that which is Cæsar's! I didn't get all this money by paying taxes. Taxes are for the poor to pay.";  no people have been kept in fear and ignorance by corrupt governments unduly influenced by corporate greed …
Thank you Jesus for teaching us.

Our wonderful society is built on compassion; on equality of opportunity regardless of circumstances of birth, race, social status or sexual orientation, with free education and free healthcare for all. There is no fear because there is no ignorance. There are no guns or any other weapons because we have learned the futility of violence and live in peace and happiness with all the peoples of the world.

Since the death of Jesus no one person has ever put themselves above another.
Nobody has ever been murdered for their beliefs.
There have been no wars.
There has been no injustice.
There has been only love and compassion.

We have truly learned.

Er …

21 comments:

peahen said...

you really should be doing Thought for the Day, that's really poignant - far better than the drivel I've heard recently.

dive said...

Hee hee, Pea. I don't imagine Rabbi Lionel Blue or The Baby-Eating Bishop Of Bath And Wells would appreciate my views on their programme.

Petrea Burchard said...

Damn. It almost makes me want to be a Christian.

dive said...

Petrea, you are far too intelligent, compassionate, tolerant and rational to ever call yourself a Christian.

Petrea Burchard said...

Thanks, Dive.

savannah said...

i'm celebrating earth day instead, sugarpie! xoxoxoxo

mark said...

In honor of your post I will be going out for fish and chips with 3 of my friends. I will toast you with a beer and a drizzle of malt vinegar on my fish.

neetzy said...

My thoughts exactly. I long ago accepted the fact that I could not ever be a christian. Funny. I still have warm fuzzy thoughts of the man "Jesus". I just hate what people have made him to be.

Petrea Burchard said...

Sounds like me, neetzy.

Ms M said...

I agree, neetzy.

And Dive.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana

dive said...

Whooee. This is fun.

As a Marxist I can sympathise with Jesus' dilemma: the perfect society we both envisage can only work as long as human beings don't get involved. They're guaranteed to fuck up paradise every time.

Bad joke time (just thought of this one in the bath):
I made some bread in the shape of Jesus and I had to wait three bloody days for it to rise.

Ow … I know. I'll stick to rants and leave comedy to the politicians.

Petrea Burchard said...

I'm feeling guilty and I'd like to mention that I know some actual Christian Christians. Very nice people who practice what they learn in the books.

Shan said...

Boys and girls, why so cynical? Don't answer that. I know the world has gone to pot and seems like a bad experiment at times. But it's CERTAINLY not Jesus's fault we don't make the right choices and our eyes stray to the self-serving path. This is the way of the human creature.
As usual Dive, your post IS super poignant and thought provoking. But once again I feel sad that it seems like people and our fallen world are the let down in everyone's lives rather than God.
Though I am amazed at the wisdom in the Bible and can see the prophecy shining through it, it is extremely hard to live so separated from God and keep doing what he tells us to do. It is HARD not to make choices according to our sinful natures and it is HARD to do the right thing instead of the most accepted or comfortable thing.
In such a loud distracting atmosphere, how are we supposed to hear His still small voice urging us to drop our own agenda and take on a selfless one? It just doesn't SEEM to pay off or even make sense in the short run. It's the long run that counts though.

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death."
Proverbs 14:12

Here's a little something I think is just one good example of where we've gone wrong for so long: http://www.christianparents.com/differnt.htm


HAPPY EASTER DIVE!! HE IS RISEN INDEED! (And He loves you and me!!!) :D

(You know I have to live up to my old title "C in the r" on occasion. teehee)

dive said...

Petrea and Shan: I'm not criticising Christians, I'm criticising ALL of us.
Humanity has fucked up, big time.

Jesus showed us the way and we murdered him, and ever since that day we've completely gone against his teachings. Witness the state of the planet today.
Even with Christians his message has got so corrupted over the past two thousand years it's like the world's worst game of Chinese whispers.
What we hear from the pulpit these days is a sick, spin version of his message twisted to suit the views of whoever is speaking.
Shan, you're kind of exempt from humanity's fuck-ups in that you are actually waiting for the end of days so a war-ridden, tortured world is not so much a bad thing as a sign that the end is coming. But for the rest of us, we really should go back to listen to Jesus and live by his example.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

dive said...

Oh, and Happy Easter!

Yay!

Shan said...

I was going to say the SAME THING about the old whisper game! True, so true. :) Yes, the end times still scare me but only because I am afraid of running out of time and also the pain and suffering involved! Aak.

dive said...

Aak indeed, Shan. Well, if it comes in the next few years you're more than welcome to point at me and go "Nyaa Nyaa" as I head down to the warm place and get my fat butt ready for some serious demon pitchfork prodding.

neetzy said...

Easter is a hopeful holiday. Remember the best of Jesus. Always look on the bright side of life... Da dum. Da dum da dum da dum.....

dive said...

Hee hee, Neetzy. Now I'll be whistling that all day.

Shan said...

Dive, it's never too late to change your mind! Big smile? :D Ding!

dive said...

I can't change my mind, Shan; that's a female prerogative; we men don't have enough of a mind to make changing it worthwhile.
Besides, I love Jesus; it's just humans I don't understand.