Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Meanwhile …

 Click on me for larger than life hanami action.

8 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

Had to look up "hanami." I'm always grateful for a new word.

neetzy said...

A more ancient form of hanami also exists in Japan, which is enjoying the plum blossoms (梅 ume) instead. This kind of hanami is popular among older people, because they are more calm than the sakura parties, which usually involve younger people and can sometimes be very crowded and noisy.

I too looked up the word! I think I'm up for the plum blossoms!

Alifan said...

Wow that is a great photo...

dive said...

Petrea, I'm the same; I am addicted to vocabulary.

Neetzy: I'm a "plum blossomer" too. Plum blossom is the first sign of Spring here (I have plum trees up the wazoo, including one right outside my bedroom window) and their blossom is so much more elegant and less blowsy than those painted strumpets the cherries, with their pink petticoats on display to all and sundry.
Having said that, I'm a sucker for a blowsy strumpet.

Mum, it's pretty hard to take a bad photo of cherry blossom.

Ms M said...

Hanami is a lovely word! (And new to me, too)
Your photo is exquisite....

dive said...

Thank you, Ms.M. You are too kind.
I find "hanami" much easier to say than "That thing they have in Japan - you know - where they all go sit under cherry trees and have picnics and drink themselves into a stupor and sing karaoke and look at the blossom."

Katherine said...

So elegant, Dive! The flower, that is, not the unsavory description you provided above.

dive said...

Spring was indeed beautiful here, Katherine, though it only lasted two days … we're already into the misery of hayfever season now. Roll on Autumn!