I went to a Temple of Redneck kitsch yesterday: the shop connected to the Cracker Barrel restaurant chain. I don't know if they're out West--Katie could take you to one.
Lupine Lady: We need photographs! A temple of Redneck Kitsch sounds wonderful!
Vanda: Isn't it just? Hee hee.
Cali: Regrettably not. We don't do the dashboard sculpture thing over here. Though having said that, seeing the classic Dashboard Jesus on the Archie McPhee website seriously tempted me.
Dive, this Cracker Barrel is too far out of my usual paths to go back for photos. However, you can go to Crackerbarrel.com and navigate to the old country store to view some stuff. I just read that on Sept 11 they will debut an opossom stuffed toy designed especially for them.
But even more disturbing, I have found that there are TWO Cracker Barrels in Rhode Island--the smallest state! What is the world coming to?
Come on, it IS your mantelpiece or the shelf in the spare room isn't it. Come clean. You're outed as the collector of thrift items. Particularly enjoying the pious expression of dog. Brr.
Heeheeheehee. I love the dog. I do have a plastic Jesus. He is in my studio alongside my collection of animal skulls. I also have a Big Bob Billy Bass wall plaque that sings "Don't Worry, Be Happy!"
This seriously looks like something you'd see in Idaho (but not on my mantle, even if I had a mantle). There is a house a few blocks down that has a large velvet painting of the Last Supper hanging over their dining room table; you can see it if the front door is open.
I took this photo at the local 99 Cents store. I didn't move anything to create this photo -- these were all just sitting there waiting to be photographed. I was initially attracted by the forlorn pooch, then cracked up to see what was on either. If anyone wants one of these let me know. They're only 99 cents each!
Lupine Lady: I checked out the Cracker Barrel website. They actually look quite appealing! I can't wait to see one for myself. And possibly even buy an opossum.
Robyn: On my walk across London I pass a "Padre Pio" shop and one of these days I shall pluck up sufficient courage to photograph the window display. If you thing THIS is cheesy and tacky you ain't seen nothing!
Cali: That sure was a great song. Yay for Marilyn Manson!
Cynthia: The market for "cloyingly cute" has always baffled me but it exists and is HUGE!
Lynn: Regrettably, my mantelpiece contains just two wooden elephants, two brass lamps, one Napoleon clock and a thank You card from Tia and Andy for playing at their wedding. Oh, and some dust, but I'll sort that at the weekend.
Mum: You have enough to worry about without me developing a kitsch bric-a-brac addiction.
Katherine: Hee hee hee!
Lynn: I should certainly hope so! Now where's your homework?
Neetzy: Photographs! PHOTOGRAPHS!
Pilgrim: Oooooooh … Too tempting!
Ms.M: Hoorah for velvet paintings of the Last Supper! I WANT one! I'd put it up over my mixing desk and scare the pants off anyone who visited my studio.
Katie: These are even better than SkyMall stuff! Well spotted.
My Mom actually did a paint-by-numbers of that Last Supper. It was one of those paint-on-velvet kits they had back in the 70'3. She did one of the Piata (spelling?) also. It's still in her house.
I admit I have a weird collection of dollar store finds. Bing, particularly delights in getting me strange knick knacks. The last one she brought home for me was a lion with it's mouth open for a big roar, except that the red paint on his tongue and lips had slid on to it's face and it looked as if it had just eaten a passing human.
I sometimes wonder what would happen if we had a nuclear bomb go off or some weird thing and we all died. Explorers from the future would find a way back to look at all our deserted houses and they would find all this odd junk in my closet....and think I was a total odd ball.
25 comments:
Thank God.
I went to a Temple of Redneck kitsch yesterday: the shop connected to the Cracker Barrel restaurant chain. I don't know if they're out West--Katie could take you to one.
If it's not your mantelpiece is it the dashboard of your car? :D
Katie: I'm afraid I am going to need more information. ;-)
Lupine Lady: We need photographs! A temple of Redneck Kitsch sounds wonderful!
Vanda: Isn't it just? Hee hee.
Cali: Regrettably not. We don't do the dashboard sculpture thing over here. Though having said that, seeing the classic Dashboard Jesus on the Archie McPhee website seriously tempted me.
Dive, this Cracker Barrel is too far out of my usual paths to go back for photos. However, you can go to Crackerbarrel.com and navigate to the old country store to view some stuff. I just read that on Sept 11 they will debut an opossom stuffed toy designed especially for them.
But even more disturbing, I have found that there are TWO Cracker Barrels in Rhode Island--the smallest state! What is the world coming to?
What a wonderful collection. I'm guessing it's a thrift store shelf, or maybe their feature window.
Ah, yes. Your own personal Jesus would tempt anyone.
Good lord, KT, where did you go to see such a menage? The expression on the dog and the little girl is disturbingly alike. Too too much!
Come on, it IS your mantelpiece or the shelf in the spare room isn't it. Come clean. You're outed as the collector of thrift items. Particularly enjoying the pious expression of dog. Brr.
Good gracious Lynn.... glad it is not his mantlepiece. Mother would have something to worry about if it was.. tee hee.......
Cuuuuuuuuuuuuute!
lol Alifan, we know Dive better than that of course. Only joshing. ;)
Heeheeheehee. I love the dog. I do have a plastic Jesus. He is in my studio alongside my collection of animal skulls. I also have a Big Bob Billy Bass wall plaque that sings "Don't Worry, Be Happy!"
The trick would be to make up some kind of dialogue that could go on between a tacky surfboard, a dog, and a guardian angel.
This seriously looks like something you'd see in Idaho (but not on my mantle, even if I had a mantle). There is a house a few blocks down that has a large velvet painting of the Last Supper hanging over their dining room table; you can see it if the front door is open.
Oh, and we have a Cracker Barrel here, too.
I took this photo at the local 99 Cents store. I didn't move anything to create this photo -- these were all just sitting there waiting to be photographed. I was initially attracted by the forlorn pooch, then cracked up to see what was on either. If anyone wants one of these let me know. They're only 99 cents each!
Lupine Lady: I checked out the Cracker Barrel website. They actually look quite appealing! I can't wait to see one for myself. And possibly even buy an opossum.
Robyn: On my walk across London I pass a "Padre Pio" shop and one of these days I shall pluck up sufficient courage to photograph the window display. If you thing THIS is cheesy and tacky you ain't seen nothing!
Cali: That sure was a great song. Yay for Marilyn Manson!
Cynthia: The market for "cloyingly cute" has always baffled me but it exists and is HUGE!
Lynn: Regrettably, my mantelpiece contains just two wooden elephants, two brass lamps, one Napoleon clock and a thank You card from Tia and Andy for playing at their wedding.
Oh, and some dust, but I'll sort that at the weekend.
Mum: You have enough to worry about without me developing a kitsch bric-a-brac addiction.
Katherine: Hee hee hee!
Lynn: I should certainly hope so! Now where's your homework?
Neetzy: Photographs! PHOTOGRAPHS!
Pilgrim: Oooooooh … Too tempting!
Ms.M: Hoorah for velvet paintings of the Last Supper! I WANT one! I'd put it up over my mixing desk and scare the pants off anyone who visited my studio.
Katie: These are even better than SkyMall stuff! Well spotted.
My Mom actually did a paint-by-numbers of that Last Supper. It was one of those paint-on-velvet kits they had back in the 70'3. She did one of the Piata (spelling?) also. It's still in her house.
Woohoo!
Talking of which, somewhere in my archives is a photo of the life-sized chocolate Pieta from the Barcelona Chocolate Museum (true)!
Here it is:
http://smallglassplanet.blogspot.com
/2008/12/tacky-yet-tempting.html
The dog looks like he wants desperately to leave.
Who could blame him, Petrea?
I admit I have a weird collection of dollar store finds. Bing, particularly delights in getting me strange knick knacks. The last one she brought home for me was a lion with it's mouth open for a big roar, except that the red paint on his tongue and lips had slid on to it's face and it looked as if it had just eaten a passing human.
I sometimes wonder what would happen if we had a nuclear bomb go off or some weird thing and we all died. Explorers from the future would find a way back to look at all our deserted houses and they would find all this odd junk in my closet....and think I was a total odd ball.
Now, had they been Lladro ...
Maria: What's so bad abut being a total oddball? I rather enjoy it.
Mme: Hee hee.
Post a Comment