Wednesday, September 09, 2009

What's Cooking With Phil? (and … er … Dive) - Wabbit!

"What's up, Doc?"

"I'm huntin' WABBIT!"

This post goes out in honour of the perennially disappointed Oryctolagus cuniculicide and famed rhotacistic Elmer J. Fudd.

Yup, we're eating bunny.
Say "aaah" and I'll slap you.

Cute, my ass!
See? Take off the fluffy bits and they look like a cross between pork, poultry and baby meat.
Chop the wabbit up into two big ol' hind legs, a couple of mid-sections and keep the forequarters for making stock.
You can give the head to the children to play with.

Today we're over at Phil's house and we'll be cooking wabbit stew.
Keeping Bugs company at the table will be Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head and their friends Rosemary, Corporal Carrott (sorry, Pratchett fans), Monsieur Onion, Larry Leek and some mushrooms whose names I didn't catch.

Taking photos for a cookery post is so much easier when you have someone else doing all the work.

See? Done already.

Right. Let's get some flour, season it and roll our bunny corpse in it bit by bit.

Then brown that sucker off in a little olive oil.
Mmmmmm … Looky!

Time to:
(a) brown off the onions, carrot and garlic (I forgot to mention the garlic earlier);
(b) toss 'em around in the pan like a poser; and
(c) apologise on Phil's behalf for the colour of his kitchen. It came with the house and he'll be changing it for something marginally less 1970s at his earliest opportunity.

Ooooh, yummy! Cider! This is getting good!

Greek honey, too!
At least I think so … Either that or beeswax, my Greek's not good enough to tell but we'll find out when we open it.

Hokay: veggies ready and some nice bayleaves from the garden popped in with them.

Add the rosemary to the wabbit in a big stew pot and drizzle honey (yes, it WAS honey) over it.

Now whap up the heat, throw in the veggies and pour over the whole bottle of cider.
Add just a splash of water if necessary to cover everything.

Bring your stew to the boil then turn the heat right down and let it simmer for about one hour forty.
In the meantime, get nasty with Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head.
Slice and dice! Ignore their pitiful screams, you're about to eat a bunny for Pete's sake!

An hour and forty minutes later (much watching of rugger and cricket on Phil's TV) and it's time to grab the tongs, yank your wabbit out of the stew pot and tear its flesh from its bones.
Don't be squeamish; this tastes gooooood!

Check the seasoning (we added a little more pepper), add in a shitload of cream, a dollop of grain mustard and some peas (I like peas).

Give it a stir and then Bugs can go back in for the last ten minutes or so, minus his bones.

While the stew is finally reducing your potatoes should be done, so drain them, add a knob of butter, a splash of cream and a teaspoon of Colman's English Mustard and mash those suckers to bits!

Dish up your stew and plop the potatoes in the middle.

Then raise a toast to Elmer J. Fudd and Eat That Wabbit!

Yes, I know Phil's dining table is posier than mine.
Anyhoo … Wabbit Stew à la Phil.

Enjoy!

23 comments:

Robyn Martins said...

This actually looks really good, but "fluffly bits?!" You knew darn well that bunny was adorable, which is why you posted him in the first place. And I did say "aaah" although it was actually more like "awwwww."

dive said...

Hee hee hee hee hee!
(Actually, more of an evil cackle).

Katie said...

What have you done?? You've killed the wabbit! Did you use your spear and magic helmet? At least Phil whipped Bugs into a mighty fine stew. Yum! Tell Phil that when he remodels his kitchen I'd be delighted to take those old tiles; I could use them for a mosaic project.

dive said...

Hee hee, Katie. What's Opera, Doc?"
I think Phil would be delighted to smash those orange tiles to bits for you.

Anonymous said...

Uh oh, you've hit a hot button here.
While I'm like Mr. McGregor in my gardens and would happily eat your wabbit stew, still I think tiny baby rabbits are so cute. It hasn't kept me from relocating rabbit nests to the far corners of the potato field nearby. I have caught those ravenous rodents and ushered them away.

The strangest rabbit trapping, and a sad one, was in my raspberry patch. I had put a Hav-a-Hart trap out there (to keep innocents like birds alive) but when I checked it the next day, there was a dead rabbit in there beside a dead mink.

I made fried rabbit for my kids when they were little and they couldn't figure out why this "chicken" wasn't built like the others. Hee hee for them.

Cynthia said...

Consider myself slapped...the bunny's adorable. Don't you feel like Mr. MacGregor, having finally caught Peter?

Actually, I've had rabbit and it tastes pretty good and your repast looks great!

dive said...

Lupine Lady: Hee hee for "chicken"! That cracked me up.
I must confess when I had a nice garden beside some fields I hated rabbits but now I'm quite happy to watch them play on the green at the end of my road. If they come into my garden, however, they're fair game for the pot.

Cynthia: Any rabbit fool enough to wear a bright blue jacket deserves to be eaten.
And yes, they do taste good!

Vanda said...

Mmmm... cut and delicious. Deadly combination. For the rabbit, that is. Was it wild or domestic rabbit?

Last time I made rabbit, there was red wine involved.

Full said...

Wild ?? It was furious.
Very tasty though and red wine was involved. A nice bordeaux from a tumbler as it should be drunk.
Thanks for helping me to eat it Bro.

dive said...

Vanda: That sounds yummy! Cute, delicious AND red wine is a winning combination.

Phil: My compliments to the chef. The wine was good, too.

Anonymous said...

A question and a comment.
The shiny pot in the picture just above "Bring your stew to the boil" looks like it's smiling--and winking one big blue eye.

The cider--is it like apple jack or tame like kids could drink?

dive said...

Hee Hee, Lupine Lady! Well spotted!

A good dry cider like this is something that should be kept well clear of kids and indeed anyone else who doesn't like headaches and falling over.
It gives a lovely appley undertone to the stew though.

Anonymous said...

No wonder you don't answer your emails Full, your busy hunting wabbit. :)

Maria said...

This is where I hang my head in shame and admit that I have NEVER eaten rabbit. Not once. And me, a farm girl. The shame of it....

from cali said...

I hear rabbit is good, but I don't plan on finding out any time soon. I'd prefer that cheesecake tortilla thingy. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Dive, a little story about cider. When my son was one or so, still drinking from a sippy cup, we drove for a few days from Virginia to Maine. I was filling the cup with apple juice--just regular juice. As the trip progressed, he became more and more mellow. A great mood for a long drive. The end of the second day I decided to have a little juice myself and found to my delight and dismay, it had turned and had a real buzz!

Thanks for bringing up so many memories.

Wabbit Stew a la Phil does look delicious.

Alifan said...

Well you did warn me about the pic of the baby bunny to start with..

Well done Phil, I still cannot eat rabbit, but Dive has made it sound good....

Just going to make sausage rolls.... more in my line nowadays...

dive said...

Kate: Men are crap at email.

Maria: Probably just as well; Liv would be furious!

Cali: You gotta admire a girl who's willing to order deep fried cheescake in a crispy tortilla.
…
Then you gotta step away slowly. Hee hee.

Lupine Lady: Hee hee! What a splendid tip for parents on long journeys!

Mum: yes, please!

Shan said...

You could have stopped after the first photo, I would have made some smootching sounds at the bunny and then done the required squeal at the tiny cuteness before me. Murderers! Murderers I say!

Chickens aren't cute for a reason. :D

The rest of it looked simply scrumptious. I'm impressed that you and brother Fulll can both cook! Good work fellas. I even like the tiles in the kitchen.

dive said...

Ah, that first photo has caused some grief, Shan. Hee hee.
The rabbits we eat here are wild greys like Bugs though nowhere near as cute and a real pest so we control them by eating them. Yum!

Chickens aren't cute?

Phil is a superb cook. Not having my seven hour a day commute (Lotus Sports Cars is a five minute drive from his house) he can really spend serious time in the kitchen and it shows.

MmeBenaut said...

I'm hardly surprised that Phil can cook too, coming from such a culinary inclined family. I actually followed the whole cooking process and could almost taste that wabbit stew with mash. Yuummmmyyyy!

dive said...

Mme: It was rather yummy. Phil tends to cook more complex dishes than I do (he has a lot more time); I'm just a one pot glop man.

neetzy said...

I had a nice rabbit dish with a raspberry sauce. It was lovely.

I also had a pet rabbit. Mr. Alice. I found him foraging around the back of a restaurant. He was a white bunny. We thought he was a she and named her Alice. We later discovered that she was a he and added "Mr." Mr. Alice is no longer with us. We did not enjoy him with a raspberry cream sauce. He is buried beneath a tree.