Sunday, September 27, 2009

Goodwood 2009 - Let's Race Cars!

Enough faffing around … Let's go racing!
Yay!

As we didn't take any video clips this year you'll have to provide your own vroomy sound effects (fun), or simply click on this from last year:



This one's for Lynn. It's the closest we got to her old house which is up at Goodwood Hall, near the top of the hill where you can see the grandstands for the horse racing course in the distance.

This year we celebrate the 75th birthday of ERA.
The English Racing Automobile.
In between the wars, plucky little ERA took on the might of Maserati and Bugatti and stuffed the crap out of 'em.

Mazzers might have been prettier …

… as might Bugattis …

… but the ERA beat them all.
Splendid!

Vroom …
or rather an exceedingly loud kersputter.

Sweet.

This year also saw the Mini turn 50 and lots of them tore around Goodwood in celebration.

One for the laydees.
One of my favourite Touring Car drivers, the spiffy Desirée Wilson, battling it out for second place to show the guys the true meaning of a fast woman.
She's in the previous photo, too, monstering the poor guy in the second place car at the approach to Lavant before tearing past him on the exit.

Oooooooooooooo …

E-Type / Cobra / E-Type sandwich.
Delicious!

James Bond eat your heart out.
THIS is what Astons are made for!

Ditto Ferraris.
If you've got a vintage Ferrari, don't just put it it a smegging museum, RACE the sucker!

Racing is a Ferrari's raison d'être.
Here is the awesome Ferrari 'Breadvan' being thrown around Lavant corner with reckless abandon.
Woohoo!

Sir Stirling Moss at the wheel of a beautiful Lister Jaguar, like the one in yesterday's post that was for sale.
Tempting, huh?

Freeeowwwww …

Yay for the Sharknose Ferrari!

Of course we hold a special affection for the classic Lotus racing cars.

The one on the right here is one of several that Phil's boss entered this year.
The week before, Andy (from last year's FoS post) was finishing this one ready to race.

A sweet Brabham (some porn for the Aussies).

Overtaking a Ferrari on the inside at Lavant corner.
Suicidally dodgy but successful in this case.

Sit Stirling Moss turned 80 the day before the Revival started and was racing all weekend as usual.
This is his classic Aston Martin DB3, in which he clinched the 1959 World Championship at this very track.
Awesome!

My favourite Ferrari of the weekend.

Oooo … the wonderful, ear-buggering noise and the fragrance of hot motor oil and burning rubber.
True romance!

I do love those mid-sixties Cobras.

Jaguar and Aston Martin.
Heaven!

All good things must come to an end.
Sigh …
As the Ferrari and the C-Type Jag battle it out around St.Mary's bend we shall say farewell to Goodwood.
Until next year!
I can't WAIT!

20 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

It's over already? For a whole year? Waaaaa! But it only just started!

I think I like Jaguar and Aston Martin Heaven the best, although the Cobra's a charmer. Mmm. Yeah. Maybe the Cobra. Exotic.

Are those haystacks?

dive said...

Hee hee, Petrea; those are 'stooks', for an explanation of which, please see yesterday's comment to Maria.

Glad you like the Cobra as it's a guest from the USA.
Good ol' Carroll Shelby (who was actually on Stirling Moss's Aston Martin team when he won the 1959 World Championship) took some little English AC Cobras back to the US with him and … er … put V8 truck engines in them, thereby producing one of my favourite cars of the sixties, the legendary Shelby Cobra. Woohoo!

Volmon said...

The last week of November. Probably.

Volmon said...

Petrea: Me too.

Katie said...

What an awesome collection of cars! I'll take the E-Type for getting to work, and the Lister Jaguar for tooling around on weekends. (However I'm a bit concerned that I actually wouldn't be able to fit into any of these cars comfortably, which is a shame.) I sure didn't see any cars like this up in Oregon, just lots of log trucks and Subarus. C'mon, you must have at least a few more Goodwood photos you can share with us!

Alifan said...

Boys and their toys!!! great pics though......

Hope you had a good weekend Katie, and the wedding went well... xxx

dive said...

Lucio: That sounds great! Wednesdays and Thursdays are easiest for me to sort a long lunch or a half-day.

Katie: there's plenty of room in an E-Type; even in the Lister. These are from the days of the gentleman racer so they made them to fit normal people instead of the stupid midget racing cars of today.
I do have a few photos left over but they're all much of a muchness. you can have a look after Paris if you want.

Mum: You raised us like this, so you can't complain. Hee hee.

from cali said...

Just yesterday I was parked next to a Lamborghini. It was a horrible green color! Looked okay once the driver put the top down though. :D

dive said...

Cali: Lambo's are only driven by middle-aged men who want to attract teenage girls but actually end up attracting teenage boys. Like any other posy street car all they are saying is "Look at me! I'm hung like a cashew!"

Volmon said...

Excellent. I'll confirm once I've heard back from my London contact, on whom pretty much everything depends.

Volmon said...

London confirmed.

from cali said...

A cashew? My least favorite nut! :P

dive said...

Yay! I can't wait!

Volmon said...

The 2nd or 3rd of December, perhaps?

e: voltaires.monkey@yahoo.com.au

dive said...

Either day's great for me, Lucio.
We can sort out something nearer the time. I'll check around the galleries to see what exhibitions are on then.

Volmon said...

I'm on to that already, Dive. I'll send you a complete list once I've finished compiling it.

Volmon said...

Allow me to qualify that, if I may. I'll draw up a list from which we can choose something. At the moment, I'm thinking either 'Turner and the Masters' or 'Pop Life'. If you come across something else that takes your fancy, however, please let me know. ... I'm flexible.

Actually, I'd really like to be taken on a personal tour of one of your favourite (old) buildings. Now that, my friend, would be a treat!

dive said...

The Turner and the Masters show would be perfect as (a) it's free and (b) it's only five minutes from my office.
Plus it's in Tate Britain, the rest of which is always worth a few hours of anyone's time.

Volmon said...

Then that's what we'll see! ... Easy.

mark said...

I love those old classic racers. If they could only talk the stories they could tell. This is one of your best. Great photos. Great action and Im sure a great time. Thanks Dive.