It's that time of the week again.
I was expecting some late handing in of homework this week and I've not been disappointed.
Neetzy's back at school, Lulu's been away working, Robyn is now snowed under with work from her new position as Lois Lane, investigative reporter and Katherine's brain has made a desperate bid for freedom (she'll write as soon as she can catch the thing).
Prudence I'm expecting any time now but our recalcitrant co-founder Lynn - after weeks of reasonable excuses - has now run out of them so I'm standing here swishing my cane and wondering where her story might have got to. Better get writing, young lady, unless you want a stripey bottom.
This week's sentence was an easy-peasy one, chosen to give you an opportunity for a little gross-out fun.
It is from Cicero's 'Second Philippic Against Mark Antony:'
"The household found these repulsive goings on completely unendurable."
The southern hemisphere's finest, Kate Isis has been in fine literary form of late, writing three stories in two weeks and clamouring for next week's sentence.
In honour of her diligence and creativity next week's sentence will be taken from a book set in Australia. I'll post it tomorrow at the usual time.
Kate's 'Scream Freedom'
Yay! Kate at her most creative with a splendid story of imprisonment and release.
She casts new light on something we've all wondered about but can never know.
Excellent denouément, cool character names; the line about "The wall" is especially brilliant.
Dive's 'Berlin. Afternoon of November 10, 1938. The Butler Hüber Awakes …'
Having drafted lots of ideas smeared with gross schoolboy humour, I'm afraid I threw them all out and wrote a depressing piece set in Berlin the day after Kristallnacht.
Apologies for the downer but I'd been re-reading William Shirer's Berlin Diaries and his astonishingly brilliant history of the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and I got a little caught up in it all.
Anyhoo … Latecomers will be posted as and when they turn up.
And here comes one now:
Katherine's 'Frère Sherry?'
Hee hee!
Unendurably repulsive household goings-on from our Katherine!
So icky I had to read it twice.
Gloriously tasteless and just what the sentence called for.
10 comments:
OMG.
I'm researching kristallnacht at the moment.
Brilliant Dive.
Dear leader, is it possible to get an extra day for the assignment? Today is editorial day, but tomorrow is open. I'll gladly take a grade cut in exchange for a little extra time.
Thank you, Kate.
That's a part of history everyone should know about but too few do.
Robyn: Of course you can be excused a day. Now that you've graduated from cub reporter to weekly newshound you have less time for fun fiction, but it's good to keep your hand in.
I am missing!
Okay, so for "Prudence I'm expecting any time now …" please read "Prudence is currently missing. As soon as we find her we'll ask for her story."
Hee hee.
How many points do you take off per day, professor? I really wanted to do this but I've been amazingly swamped. I thought I'd be back by now. Big birthday is upon me. I am a fellow Hawaiian if you get my drift. (feeling a little depressed).
Coming in at the 11th hour....http://luxuriouschoices.blogspot.com/2009/09/frere-sherry.html
Very appropriate choice, Dive, considering WWII began 70 years ago on Sept. 1st.
Neetzy: you don't lose any points. Hee hee.
Happy Birthday! Yay! Believe me when I say Life begins at fifty! It's been great for me, I hope it is for you, too.
Katherine: Woohoo! I'll have to read it when I get back from work. I'm now off to my Friday Frenzy.
Cali: Indeedy. That's why I was reading those books. We have to learn from past mistakes (something our governments appear unable to do).
Finally got mine done...at the 11th hour (what the heck does that phrase mean anyway?).
http://luxuriouschoices.blogspot.com/2009/09/frere-sherry.html
Post a Comment