Friday, September 19, 2008

Ciao From Phil's Magical Kingdom

And so we come to the last day in this particular Car Porn Week and close the door for another year on Phil's Magical Kingdom.
But before we go, please allow me to introduce, for your driving pleasure the wonderful new Lotus Evora, successor to the Esprit.

While the Elise and the Exige are built for tearing around racetracks sideways and actually racing, this is for the person with a rather larger wallet and slightly less suicidal insanity.
You might take this over to Germany once a year to shit your pants at the Nürburgring but this is more of a grand tourer than a racing car. More like a Ferrari or a Lambo.

Here's a test bed version (note the headlamps are just pieces of perspex screwed - yes, screwed - to the bodywork).

Here's one in yummy blue.

And of course, British Racing Green.

Here's a link that will tell you much more about it than I can:
http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/225417/lotus_evora.html

And looky! Here's the Tesla, the zippy, all-electric sports car that Lotus make for the guys in California. One of these went past me VERY FAST up the track at the Goodwood Festival of Speed this summer and all I heard was "WHOoooooooosh …"
Fabulous.

And very orange …

If you want to make a LOT more noise, you can always plump for a Two-Eleven.

And to complete the current range, here's the scrummy Europa.

Here, too.

But THIS is totally sweet! A unique, fastback Lotus Elite from the early sixties.
Now that is my kind of car.
Mmmmmmmmmmm …

This, too!
Yummy or what?
Oh, that's a LeMans Aston Martin up on the riser that Lotus are tweaking.

Ooooooh … and a line of classic Lotus formula one racers. Gorgeous!

And to round up this miscellany, here's some of the fun the guys have in the safety department.

That poor face gets repeatedly smashed into things for the sheer fun of it … er … I mean safety testing.

How a crumple zone works.
I've seen Exiges slam into barriers (and one another) at racetracks and - other than some choice profanity - the drivers just get out and walk away.

I'm not sure what this one was supposed to demonstrate but I think that it is the inadvisability of attacking a windscreen with your face.
That's gotta hurt!

Anyhoo … That's it for this year's Lotus birthday bash.
Will Car Porn be taking a break for a while now?
Er … Considering that Phil and Dive are off to the Goodwood Revival Meeting this weekend I think the car haters are in for a miserable time next week, too.
Toodle pip!

11 comments:

Scout said...

OK, I'll confess you got me with the antique Elite. What a car! Otherwise--ho hum...hee hee. Sorry I can't work up any enthusiasm for cars.

Although, I think electric racing cars is a great idea. People here gripe a lot about the fuel that is wasted on racing cars.

dive said...

People in AMERICA gripe about the fuel wasted on racing cars?

Scrivens, Robyn! They should try walking, cycling or taking public transport instead of digging up Alaska and burning it in their SUVs on their trips to junk food drive-thrus.
The comparatively tiny amount of fuel used in motorsport is a small price to pay for all of the technology that comes back from the racing teams, such as anti-lock brakes, traction control and just about every other safety feature on our cars today.

… writes a motor racing fan who's off for a weekend at the circuit.
Hee hee.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Give Robyn a break, Dive. lol. Um... nice cars.

dive said...

I'm not getting at Robyn, Lynn; she drives a hybrid, so she's exempt from my Yank-bashing.
And yes, the cars are pretty.

savannah said...

i LOVE the cars, i LOVE the smell, the speed, the look of them...the feel of leather on my skin when i slide my hand along the seat...the smooth hardness of the console...the wheel, the dash...yes, yes, yes...i want more!!!!! xoxox ;)

dive said...

Yikes, Savannah!
NOW how am I supposed to get any work done?
Hee hee
xoxox

Maria said...

I am one of those people who like to buy cars with cool names. I would buy a car named Elise any day of the week...

Full said...

Evora is intended to be a mid range car in between Exige/Elise and the top end Esprit replacement which is due in a few years.
It's under £50K so not too pricey for what you get but we already have orders which will use our capacity for next year so don't hold your breath if you want one !!!

The Tesla colour is actually called "Very Orange" spooky.

See you at 05:00 in the morning.

dive said...

Elise, Schmelise, Maria!

If you want cars with cool names you have to go to Japan.
Try these:
Daihatsu Rugged Field Sports Resin Top
Honda Life Dunk
Isuzu Big Horn
Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard
Mazda Autozam Carol MeLady
Mazda Bongo Brawny
Mazda Bongo Friendee
Mazda Proceed Marvie Will Breeze
Mitsubishi Canter Guts
Mitsubishi Mini Active Urban Sandal
Mitsubishi Mum 500 Shall We Join Us
Nissan Big Thumb Harmonised Truck
Nissan Cedric
Nissan Leopard J Ferie
Subaru Domingo Aladdin
Subaru Sambar Dias Astonish!!
Suzuki Alto Afternoon Tea
Suzuki Every Joy Pop Turbo
Toyota Estima Lucida G Luxury Joyful Canopy
Yamaha Pantryboy Supreme

All genuine and all fabulous.
Hee hee hee.

See you tomorrow, Phil. Thanks for the correction. And I should really name all your colours for you.

Full said...

The Elise was named after the CEO's 4 year old niece back in 1995 and she was under the covers when it was unveiled at Geneva.

dive said...

Woah!
Cool trivia!