She has been so good as to travel across the island to Marsa and find Zerafa Street.
I apologise, Dina, for "borrowing" these two photographs, but they are the only pictures I have seen of the street where I started my life.
Actually, I popped out into the world at the David Bruce Military Hospital in Imtarfa, but that doesn't exist any more.
This is where we lived when I was a baby; 121 Zerafa Street, Marsa.I'll have to ask Mum where the building is/was, but it's kind of spooky seeing the street after all these decades.
This was me at the time, laying on Dad in my big pants. I don't remember any of this but apparently I was there in lovely sunny Malta.I get kinda blue thinking that I've never been back and that even if I do go, there's nothing left that was there forty-eight years ago. I only know one word of the language, which makes me feel guilty as well as blue.
Oh, well …
At least I have the photos now. Thank you again, Dina.
…
Addendum:
Dina must have got Mum in a nostalgic mood, too as she has just posted this photo (which I have nicked … sorry Mum):
This is cute little me with Mum and my Godfather, Pete (Hi, Pete!), who we still see a lot of. He's great. He was in the Merchant Navy back then and this is taken on board his ship in Sliema Harbour. I'll bet it looks different now; probably all hotels and tourist stuff.Thanks once again to Dina for setting all this off.
13 comments:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaw Dive...I love this post. So nostalgic...
Don't you love having pictures like these...even if they're the only ones you have? At least you HAVE them and have a contact there who can take more requests!!!
Love you and your big pants and your Dad...how sweet...and hmmmmm...sure see a genetic link there! Tell Mum she's off the hook...some other Military hunk isn't your paternal unit! ;)
Too bad more of the puzzle isn't there but at least you have some of the pieces!
Sorry that sound so silly-poetic. I always get sentimental with stuff like this...
Be all the blooooooo you need to be ...I'll be your pink and before ya know it, it'll be...it'll be Christmas and you'll be cussing left and right!
;)xo
They're lovely photos, Dive, and what a great reminder for you.
I don't think it's ever too late to reconnect. My dad went out to Australia with his parents and siblings when he was 15 and he made his first visit back 'home' to the Netherlands last year - almost 60 years later.
If it's something you want to do - you'll get there. Just wear big pants. :)
Ahhh fabulous Daily Photo! Dina did a good job there for you Dive. They're great shots it must be wonderful for you. I reckon now you should do less of the Japanese, take up Maltese and book a hol. Your dad looks pretty hot i might say... as do you of course in yer big pants.
OH, baby Dive!! This is just too adorable, and your eyes were so focused on your father. It's amazing how babies can do that.
You should go back with your mother and see what you might discover.
From Mme Benaut:
Dive, I agree totally with Lynn and Robyn - you should go on a holiday to Malta and take your Mother with you and your camera of course. It's simply a must do!
There is something so endearing about a father holding his baby. It is a beautiful photo. You are lucky to have such treasures.
Awwww …
You are all so sweet.
Maybe one day I'll go back. Though I'll have to wait for big pants to come back into fashion.
I love that picture of you with your Dad. You sure were...(should I say it?)...cute!! Hehe.. I'm sure it feels lovely, though.
And Lynn, Robyn, Mme Benaut, I concur- you should visit, and take your Mum along. I'm sure she'll love it.
Ripper shots Dive.
looks like you had better high tail it across to Malta. Just practise the dialect, crikey, that would be hard!
And, yes mate, you were a cute little baby. You don't know, but when walking down your old street, the older locals might just recognize you,you little cutie-you !
You are so cute. Why not pay a visit?
Well now, hmmmmmmmmmm...on SECOND thought cutie-patootie-baby DB...I can see some resemblance with Ol' Petey Boy there too! I think it's up for discussion again! LOL! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...don't let Mum see this!
And if it's any consonlation, my last name on my birth certificate said FOREMAN...and my maiden name was SCHMITT! GO FIGURE!!! Mooooooooooooooooooooooom????!!!
OOOPS! They listed Dad's OCCUPATION by accident!
LOL! ;)xo
Hee hee! Nice one, Ame.
Next time I'm over Mum's and Pete and Joan come round for a cuppa, I'll come right out and ask him (hee hee).
That's a sweet photo of you with you Dad. Thanks for sharing your beginnings with us.
That really is a cute photo of you in big pants, Dive. MC Hammer stole your idea.
Post a Comment