Toddle on over to the desk of my lovely and freshly coiffured "very personal assistant", 外人ガールさん, and you'll discover just how clever.
I had to take a late train home last night because we had a jumper. We usually get at least one jumper a week, which always pisses everybody off because the trains are stopped for a couple of hours while some poor sap has to pick up all the lumps of meat and hose the slippery bits into the verge.
So anyway … whenever we have jumpers I duck into わさび and pick up some sashimi and onigiri for the journey home.
Last night, this really pretty girl asked me "What are onigiri?" (not exactly the question I would have liked from her - which was "Tell me more about this Earth custom you call 'kissing'" - but it was better than nothing).
So for the rest of you … This is onigiri:
Yup. It's a triangular lump of pressed rice, usually with a stuffing such as pickled plum or tuna or - in this case - sesame and seaweed; my favourite.
When you open it, you find those fiendishly clever Orientals have kept the nori separate from the rice (to stop it going all soft).
And when you open the inner package, you find that they have helpfully pre-folded the nori so that it wraps itself automatically around your rice ball, origami style.
And there it is: All nice and wrapped up, ready to eat, with the lovely papery-crunchy nori keeping your hands from getting all messy. How considerate is that?This has been a somewhat boring but hopefully educational public information announcement.

19 comments:
so, it's a bit like Japanese fast food--interesting. It actually looks good.
but Dive...this pretty girl...was she from another planet?
It's a lot like Japanese fast food, Robyn.
Hee hee. I think that line was from "Earth Versus The Flying Saucers", but no doubt some pedant will correct me.
And if I ever come face to face with that pretty girl again I might use it on her.
Hehe, freshly coiffured, indeed. I'll be mistaken for a Japanese one of these days now that my hair's been dyed ... black! Ah.
Feck, I remember all the delays from the jumpers. Very sad.
Excellent public service announcement, Boss. Seems like Japanese food is everywhere I look. Can you post about some good western food - I really miss it. I'm a total heathen and eat my onigiri sans nori. Had one with natto the other day; it's not bad!
Woohoo!
GG eats natto!
And have you really dyed your hair black? Or are you just yanking your old bosses chain, like you were with the pigtails (doh!) …
I wouldn't yank yer chain, boss. It has been dyed black, and until yesterday I often wore it in pigtails but now it's a wee bit short for that.
Oooooooooo …
You must post photos …
even if they're only from the back!
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh....a nice unranty, untechnical, calm post...nice for the weekends...
Can I come over and eat JFF (Japanese Fast Food) and just veg on the sofa and watch tv with you?
I don't even feel like getting out of my jammies....
One of those daaaaaaaaaaaaaaze...
;)
Come on over, Ame.
Bring Bear.
I have good beer and movies.
That's Japanese precision. I'd love to get my hands on that, though. Looks good! There's this great place for Japanese food in town that I haven't been able to convince anyone to accompany me too. Sigh, why do my stories always end like that?
The term Orientals would be so politically incorrect to use here in Beantown dive.
anyway, don't ya hate jumpers? if they're going to kill themsleves why screw up everyone's commute?
how inconsiderate. Oh as for the girl... maybe you should have asked her about the kssing thing dive -how else do you expect to get some?
Hi, Utsav. Go there by yourself and maybe you'll meet someone worth going for.
And Rich, it was a Sherlock Holmes quote. I'd never dream of saying that out loud.
As for the girl … we shall see.
It's "Ornamentals" you two! GEEEEEZ! LOL! ;) PS: I can SAY that cuz I AM one! HeeHee! xo
I was once asked about the earth custom of kissing by a beautiful green gurl from the planet Gal-tore.
I told her to feck aff, do I look like a teacher? bloody sex mad aliens and their dumb questions.
Is the last thing that goes through a jumper's brain their arse?
Selfish bastards, just cos they are in no hurry to get home.
YIKES! I'm on top of OBB!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
And now UNDERNEATH! TWICE! EEEEK!
It's truly disturbing, what happens in my comments box while I sleep.
But isn't it a HOOT to find in the morning? ;) Hi DB! How has your Sunday been? Sunny at least I hope! xo
Supposed to be in the high 70s today here...waaaaaah...doesn't look like I'm going to get many more chances to wear my NAF long-sleeved London t-shirt...and I LOVE that shirt! LOL! =)
It's truly disturbing
well I'm afraid.
Ah, so its not just a mexican thing.
Post a Comment