Friday, June 08, 2012

Headache

One of these years I'll actually take a look at the plinth when I walk past this guy and discover who he really was.
Occasionally seen with a traffic cone, football or other random object in his outstretched hand I've always known him as "guy with headache."

15 comments:

Vanda said...

Sir Roderick Woollybottom, winner of the sharpest moustache tournament.

savannah said...

The Unknown Pottery Mender?


xoxoxoxo, sugarpie!

Speedway said...

Sir Thomas Browne.

How I did it: I looked up the name of the foundry, which is on the base of the statue and came up with this -

http://www.racns.co.uk/sculptures.asp?action=getsurvey&id=307

Could it be a piece of a funeral urn he's contemplating? "Browne's last publication during his lifetime (1658) was two philosophical Discourses which are intrinsically related to each other; the first Hydriotaphia, Urn Burial or a Brief Discourse of the Sepulchral Urns lately found in Norfolk, occasioned by the discovery of some Bronze Age burials in earthenware vessels found in Norfolk inspired Browne to meditate upon the funerary customs of the world and the fleetingness of earthly fame and reputation."

Speedway said...

Sorry to have taken all the fun out of it, ut I wondered why a man who wasn't an artist/potter was contemplating a pottery shard.

dive said...

He certainly sports a fine set, Vanda.

Hee hee, Savannah. xoxoxoxo

Aha! The Queen of research comes up trumps yet again (and saves me having to walk across the street from the coffee shop tomorrow morning to check the plinth).
So it's Browne, is it? Somebody I've actually heard of. Yay! Little wonder he had a headache after those discourses. At least his own reputation has been slightly more than fleeting.

And you've not taken the fun out of it in the least, Speedway. Hoorah for Research Girl: a new breed of superhero.

Robyn Martins said...

Interesting, Speedway. And maybe he has a headache because he's been doused with bird crap, and after all he's contributed to human discourse, no one has bothered to clean him off.

neetzy said...

He is adorable, but not as much as the passed out Oscar Wilde we found in Dublin.

Speedway said...

A Passed out Oscar? Are there pictures?

About moustaches: Years ago, there was a man who attended the Indy 500 who I found to be, well, unique. Middle-aged, he wore leisure suits or shiny knit disco shirts atop trousers with a white belt. He had kinda reddish hair that he'd teased and sprayed into a bowl-shaped do. The real attention-getter, though, was a pair of moustaches that had to have spanned 3 feet. They did have curled tips.

If the man only knew: I imagined him in his shower, his plump, pink little body with hair sagging into his eyes and the moustaches drooping from under his nose, aging dribbles of red paint. Yuch. What would any woman want with a man who's more high maintenance than she'd ever be.

Ms M said...

Interesting research, Speedway -- meditating on "the fleetingness of earthly fame and reputation."
Add the "fleetingness of human life" and it's enough to give some people a migraine. Perhaps put a giant aspirin in his outstretched hand.

neetzy said...

I will find pictures of Oscar!

dive said...

Robyn, he's cursed to be a pigeon toilet as he's sat next door to a McDonalds, with a permanent population of lard-arses on the bench outside, dropping pigeon food all over the place.

Yay for Oscar Wilde laying in the gutter and looking at the stars, Neetzy.

You imagined him in the shower, Speedway? Hee hee and Eww!

Ms.M that's the best suggestion yet, although the late night drunks who regularly decorate him don't have your imagination.

Neetzy, I can't wait to see them.

Speedway said...

Yep, Dive, I sure did. But recalling him has led me to wonder how they ever fitted those moustaches into his coffin. I then imagined the span of waxed hair going out about 12 inches, then being kinked upward at right angles at he approached the Pearly Gates - or drooping back to dribbles of hair if he went the other direction. Eww, indeed.

dive said...

Michael (my regular keyboard player for the past umpteen decades) used to keep a tub of moustache wax on top of his keyboard on stage to enable him to wax between songs as the hot stage lights drooped his tache.
Moustache wearers are an odd breed.

neetzy said...

I posted Oscar on my blog. Come and visit. I must confess it is not a neetzy original. I did take some pics but cannot locate them. Also he is not quite passed out but a bit tipsy. I love Oscar! Come and visit negative space!

dive said...

Yay, Oscar! I'll be right over, Neetzy.