Hokay, so I know it's not Monday and this really should be a WTF Monday post, but Speedway just posted what passes for ramen in her part of the world and it shocked me to the core.
Ramen is
freshly made noodles - hot in the winter; chilled buckwheat in the summer - with
fresh ingredients and it is a wonderful experience to sit in a Soho noodle bar and suck it up in as slurpily noisy and shirt-stainingly messy a manner as possible. Ramen is not shrink-wrapped plastic condoms stuffed with dried industrial noodles
and a sachet of salt, MSG and powdered crap.
Really. Trust me on this.
I'm used to fresh seafood, fresh noodles, cotton tofu made that very morning and sushi made for me by a real sushi chef where I get to pick out the wriggly tentacles and stuff I like from the fresh fish counter. The thrill of heating dried, factory-made crap and water in a microwave is not for me.
But then I thought of all the equally disgusting things people eat over here and so here - for the amusement of the Colonials - is a "Great British Classic" … something totally gross that I found on my last trip to a supermarket and which had me gaping like Cletus the slack-jawed yokel.
I had to ask the nearest shelf-stacker if it was real or some kind of spoof, but he assured me people buy it and in all possibility actually spread it on bread and EAT this shit.
I don't often say this, but "What the fuck?"

8 comments:
LOL The palate of the human species never ceases to amaze me, sweet pea! xoxoxoxo
We are without doubt the weirdest and grossest mammal on the planet, Savannah. Our appetites would shame most bacteria. Present company excepted, of course; the food you post is always amazing. Yay! xoxoxoxo
"Fish paste." On sandwiches. If you think the idea of "bean spread" on bread is bad, what must it be like with fish paste. I know it exists. I've read about it. Please, there must be some at the local gricers.
In the interest of so-called effing "science," I'll go to the store tomorrow for a pack of ramen noodles. I think I'll get the shrimp-flavored one. At 25 cents, I think I can just manage it. In the name of science.
You're a brave woman to put your health at risk in the name of science, Speedway.
On a related note, during a gross-out competition at a bad taste party, I once ate a fish paste, chocolate spread and Branston pickle sandwich.
Yes, there is fish paste and yes it is as truly disgusting as it sounds. My whole life since then has been a desperate attempt at culinary rehabilitation.
If it was fish paste, syrup and pickle on the nasty American-style white bread, I'd give you extra points for degree of difficulty. Otherwise, just the usual.
P.S., I assume you "stuck the landing" and a few other things with that combo.
Oooooo, smoky bacon paste...on nasty American style white bread with a few generous squirts of Cheeze Whiz. Almost as tasty as cheap, nasty American style Ramen noodles.
Speedway, I almost vomited the landing after that combo. Adn yes, it was on nasty American style white bread (you can still buy that stuff here, but I don't know anybody who does).
Ms M, it's smoky bacon 'STYLE' paste over here (probably with no trace of bacon in it). We can't get Cheeze Whiz over here, so perhaps the next one of my American friends to visit these shores can sneak in a can for me, like when Katie smuggled in the Twinkies.
Post a Comment