Friday, June 24, 2011

Random Norfolk - Shelter



The window's straight; it's the rest of the world that's "on the huh" as we say here.

For Neetzy's students:
90mm is my favourite focal length for stuff like this as it's pretty much how my eye sees things.
With this one it's a case of:
- Set lens to 90mm and camera to manual, multi-spot metering,
- Stop down to f.8 as I want a reasonable depth of field,
- Stand well back in line with the window,
- Walk forward until it's framed,
- Take one spot reading off the sea and two off the window frame,
- Click.

12 comments:

Speedway said...

I can almost smell the sea and feel the moist air on my skin.

dive said...

Me too, but unfortunately that's just because we have a sea breeze and its raining here.

Speedway said...

Gray here and drizzly. Unfortunately, alternates only with 90+ degrees, humid and SUNNY! As you may know, I've already added your blog to my little list.

Oh, yeah -- My dad came to the US in 1926 with his parents and sister from Whitehaven, Cumbria. He was 13 then. I still have cousins in the area.

dive said...

Cumbria is beautiful, Speedway (as you no doubt already know). I feel kind of humble coming from flat ol' Norfolk. I love the Lakes though the last time I was there was a while back, exploring the Solway coast. Awesome!

peahen said...

Ahh - I haven't heard anyone say 'on the huh' for aaaages. Been away from Norfolk for too long.

dive said...

You can take the gal away from Norfolk …

Ms M said...

Wonderful photo -- I feel a sense of calm just looking at the horizon. Good photography "lesson", too.

dive said...

Calm, Ms.M? I feel the sense of "bloody hell, that wind is cold!"

Petrea Burchard said...

Wonderful photo, Dive. Wonderful.

dive said...

Why thank you, Petrea. I kinda liked the gap-toothed and glassless window and the fact that all the other things in the photo are at different angles.

Ms M said...

Calm looking at the scene because I wasn't out in the wind. Is the wind always cold coming off the sea in your part of the world?

dive said...

Not always, Ms.M. In the winter it can howl down from the north, but that's part of the fun of winter (he writes in mid-summer … hee hee). In the summer, however, on days like this, when it's 90 degrees outside, the sea breeze is gorgeous!